Spike Lee

Started by Ghostboy, June 26, 2003, 01:24:38 AM

Sleuth

Quote from: peteother small complaint was how the kids all looked way more hispanic than both the dad and the mom.

Yeah, that was gross
I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

I really can't stand Spike Lee... and one of the reasons that he hasn't really come to Hollywood, but instead stayed on the east coast, is that he's anti-semetic... and our Hollywood Jews and gays won't stand him... Talk about not having tolerance for humankind... this guy doesn't have tolerance for anyone but himself, and I have no tolerance for him.

Nick

Weak2ndAct

Perhaps I've totally lost my mind, but am I the only one who thinks that Spike is on a hot streak of sorts?  Lawsuits w/ TNN and other hoopla aside, the last few films he's made have been among his best... yet no one seems to care anymore (the only comparison I can think of is Woody Allen-- "oh, he's got another movie out").  I've seen every one of his films (save for maybe The Huey Newton story on Starz!) and I really think he hit rock bottom w/ Girl 6 and Get on the Bus in '96.  But then we got He Got Game, 4 Little Girls, Summer of Sam, Original Kings of Comedy, Bamboozled, and then 25th Hour-- which after subsequent viewings is becoming my favorite one.  A pretty impressive output the past few years if you ask me.

pete

history will sort it all out!  his films will outlast most other popular american films of their times.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Spike Lee Shopping She Hate Me
Source: Variety

Spike Lee is shopping for financing for his next film, a comedy called She Hate Me.

As Lee talks with UGC and distributors to fund the film, he's lining up Anthony Mackie (8 Mile) to star with Nia Long, Whoopi Goldberg and Jim Brown. Lee is also talking to Rosario Dawson and Woody Harrelson to take part.

In the film, a Harvard-educated biotech exec (Mackie) gets fired when he blows the whistle on his bosses. He supports himself by impregnating high-powered lesbians. One of those is an ex-girlfriend (Long).

Lee wants Goldberg and Brown to play Mackie's parents.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

HaHa!  That sounds great.  

Sorry to drop off on another subject, but did anyone else see Whoopi in "Good Fences?"  Highly recommended.

A Matter Of Chance

I like Spike Lee and think he's really talented.

Apart from the already mentioned movies of his, I enjoyed "Mo-Better Blues" too.

Banky

i just wachted 25th hour and it was a damn good film

ono

I just wanted to declare my hatred for Bamboozled.

I hate Bamboozled.

There, that feels much better.  That film is such a poor, unfunny (though I realize that was probably the point), rip-off of Network.  I think the saddest thing, though, was having to sit in the class and hear all these uninformed classmates say it was so layered and complex and had something important to say, and that Roger Ebert's opinion was invalid because of the (alleged) "control the Chicago Sun-Times has over him."  Hah, what a crock.  And this, coming from my professor, who I really respect.  Don't want to say anything more right now.  The film doesn't really deserve it.

On the bright side, 25th Hour is still one of the best films I've ever seen.

Cecil

i liked it, but thought the second half wasnt as good as the first

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI just wanted to declare my hatred for Bamboozled.

I hate Bamboozled.

There, that feels much better.  That film is such a poor, unfunny (though I realize that was probably the point), rip-off of Network.  I think the saddest thing, though, was having to sit in the class and hear all these uninformed classmates say it was so layered and complex and had something important to say, and that Roger Ebert's opinion was invalid because of the (alleged) "control the Chicago Sun-Times has over him."  Hah, what a crock.  And this, coming from my professor, who I really respect.  Don't want to say anything more right now.  The film doesn't really deserve it.

Why are your classmates uninformed? About what?

You made a post ripping on others who liked it, but didn't give an opinion about why you didn't like it. Just because it's like "Network"? Well, yeah, it does have a "Network" influence, but "Bamboozled" is a satire. They are two totally different views of the TV industry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinWhy are your classmates uninformed? About what?
Uninformed about where Spike Lee is coming from, for the most part.  Because they neglect the context of Lee's films.  For the most part, they've only seen Do the Right Thing (prof sez: show of hands, who's seen other Lee films, blah, blah, blah), and they don't understand where Lee is coming from, and the external impetus for this film.  The fact that Lee is a very "angry black man" weighs heavily into this.  All of his films are not just entertainment, but societal commentary.  So, one must consider the source.  And looking at his track record, especially where Malcolm X is concerned, and his public attitude about race, one cannot see a levelheaded argument being made.
Quote from: MacGuffinYou made a post ripping on others who liked it, but didn't give an opinion about why you didn't like it. Just because it's like "Network"?
Okay, the characters were caricatures without a shred of humanity in them.  There were no sympathetic figures in the film save De La Croix's assistant, but even she was a question mark.  The plot was contrived and not grounded in reality.  The things he wished to lampoon were way too extreme and out of date to begin with.  No show like this would ever happen; people would protest too fervently.  If Lee wanted to address the issue more eloquently, he'd need to skewer what is wrong with TV now.  Say, for instance, Friends and their alleged lack of black characters (which is also a false claim, but that's a whole different debate).
Quote from: MacGuffinWell, yeah, it does have a "Network" influence, but "Bamboozled" is a satire. They are two totally different views of the TV industry.
They're both satires, actually.  And they're both quite similar views of the TV industry.

I wonder, though, if you actually disagree with me, or you just really like stirring up shit.  Because you never seem to provide any opinions of your own unless you see someone post something you disagree with, or can find a way to twist their words.  You must get bored very easily.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI wonder, though, if you actually disagree with me, or you just really like stirring up shit.  Because you never seem to provide any opinions of your own unless you see someone post something you disagree with, or can find a way to twist their words.

How can I debate if I don't know where one is coming from? Like I said, I didn't see your opinion other than a comparison and wanted to know if that was your sole basis of not liking the film. Geez, forgive me for asking why instead of just saying "Fuck you for not liking it."

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaYou must get bored very easily.

Unnescessary personal attack. No where did I weigh against you personally.

And because of those comments you made above, nevermind.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinUnnescessary personal attack. No where did I weigh against you personally.

And because of those comments you made above, nevermind.
That wasn't supposed to be a personal attack.  Sorry if you took it this way.  I just merely noticed a pattern and pointed it out.

A guy can't merely blow off steam and say he doesn't like a film "because it just didn't work for me?"  Is it essential that every single opinion posted here be backed up?  And why don't you provide your own opinion more?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinpersonal attack.
christ...here's another term being thrown around too much.  
I don't think he was attacking anyone.

...and words are sometimes twisted like a muthaphuck around here.  

i just wish spike lee would just be a filmmaker and not such a voice.