Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

SHAFTR

It's tough for me to watch Michael J Fox now. sigh.

I'm actually fairly new to the Conan world.  It's a show that I have always liked but never made time for.  Recently I decided it will be a show (the only one, in fact) that I make time for.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

myadopteddaughter

you better get hoppin man, that show won't be around forever.

Conan is truly the man, and I am ever so happy he is spreading his seed.
mmm, mmmm good

MacGuffin

Canada Condemns 'Racist' Conan O'Brien TV Show

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's government on Friday condemned a show by U.S. late-night television host Conan O'Brien that insulted people in French-speaking Quebec and seemed to suggest everyone in the province was homosexual.

Ottawa and the province of Ontario paid $760,000 to help O'Brien -- who appears on the NBC television network -- bring his show to Toronto for a week to boost the city's profile after a deadly SARS outbreak last year.

But the federal government said O'Brien had gone far too far with the show broadcast on Thursday in which he went to Quebec, a province which has had separatist governments for much of the last 20 years and is a delicate political topic in Canada.

"We want to disassociate ourselves from the comments which were broadcast last night because we do not support them in any way," junior government minister Mauril Belanger told Parliament.

At one point in the show, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Quebecer: "You're French, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here."

O'Brien's team were also shown replacing street signs in the province with those that read "Quebecqueer Street" and "Rue des Pussies."

Alexa McDonough, a legislator for the left-leaning New Democrats, described the program as "racist filth" and "utterly vile" and demanded the government seek the return of the C$1 million subsidy.

"There may be those who would say, 'Isn't this interfering with freedom of expression?' It's not interfering to say we will not publicly fund this kind of vile, vicious hatemongering," McDonough told reporters.

Belanger did not commit to asking for the money back. No one at NBC was immediately available for comment.

The complaints over the puppet's comments come on the heels of a similar uproar following criticism of European French-Canadian hockey players on CBC television by the country's best-known sports commentator, Don Cherry.

The "Late Night" show, which taped in Toronto all this week and featured guests such as Jim Carrey and Mike Myers, was broadcast in Canada by CHUM television, which said it regretted any offense that may have been caused.

"We offer our apology and assurance that it is never our intention to air programing that offends any of our viewers," the station said in a statement.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has landed in trouble before, most famously when it had an altercation with rap singer Eminem at a music awards show in 2002.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

further proof........canada sucks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I feel that anyone offended should walk it off while Conan never uses Triumph again (on account of not being funny).  It was a lame bit, get over it.  There was a reason why they kept in the clips where the old man laughed.

And the Canadians in the audience suck too, they were cheering the whole time (even on the obviously ironic statement Triumph made that went something like, "You live in North America, speak the language.")
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: Sloyj"You live in North America, speak the language."

Just to clarify,   Mexico is also North America, and not only do most part of the population can't speak english,but they're part of the sky-high chart of analphabetism.
context, context, context.

Sleuth

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: Sloyj"You live in North America, speak the language."

Just to clarify,   Mexico is also North America, and not only do most part of the population can't speak english,but they're part of the sky-high chart of analphabetism.

Did you even read what I said?  Christ, you're in Switzerland, read the language.
I like to hug dogs

hehe, sorry,   i think it came out more rude than i wanted it to be; but again, i was just clarifying.  A lot of people think that North America is just the U.S. of A. and Canada.
context, context, context.

pete

I remember in one of the "in the year 2000" segments conan went "in the year 2000, the US and Canada will jointly form a country called 'Mexico Sucks'."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleuth

What, are you half-Mexican?
I like to hug dogs

Pas

I'm the first one to laugh about french-canadians and my respect for my homeland is rather limited, but this sketch was damn offensive. Not "South Park offensive" where it's funny, just plain raping in the ass. And hearing the cheers of the Ontario people made me think : "If you hate us so much, why don't you let us fucking separate".

myadopteddaughter

cronopio, you crack me up dude...
mmm, mmmm good

SHAFTR

people need to learn to grow up...and i'm not talking about conan or his show.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

This whole Quebec thing has been hugely blown up too much. Anyone with a brain knows what the Triumph character is like... was the Quebec City segment a shock to ANYONE? Seriously. Now they clearly went to Quebec City and not Montreal because they knew people predominantly spoke French there. They knew the crowd would love it and they did. That's why they did it. If they knew the Ontario people would boo that kind of stuff, they wouldn't have done it. So yeah, like SHAFTR said, people just grow up a bit. It's just comedy, folks. Loosen up.

Pas

Quote from: CinephileIf they knew the Ontario people would boo that kind of stuff, they wouldn't have done it.

I don't think you got it ... people in Ontario didn't boo the show. They booed Quebec. It's not a question of growing up.

You see, MY governement paid almost a million dollars to get Conan to boost Toronto's image... but in the doing, not only did it ridicule Quebec, which would have been funny (I laugh a lot about the Quebec and Canada South Park joke) but it stirred shit with the people from our fucking country booing us heavily in a show seen everywhere in America. Quebec City is one billion time nicer and fun than Toronto but my government keep spending stupidly to promote that god damned town.

Seriously, the joke WAS racist, because it didn't mock french people for things they (we) do, they just fucked with them (us) cause we don't speak english. And the thing "Speak the language of the continent" or something is totally out of place... I wouldn't got in Isreal and scream "Practice the religion of the continent !" without fearing a good hit with a stick. I'm actually kinda mad no one reacted more violently in Quebec :-(

I still think Conan is very funny and I'll watch his show without thinking about that, but it was still lame. It's weird cause now people here see him as some kind of Howard Stern.

Edit : I'll probably get 'why the hell do Quebec people want to separate so bad' so I'll just post a log from a AIM conversation that summarize it almost decently.

JudBooth: two reasons : First, moraly, the values of french quebecers and canadians are incredibly different. 80% of english canadians are bigots while 80% of quebecers are really open minded.
Second and mostly : We get fucked and then fucked some more. We (as a province and not an individual) hand in X amount of money to the Canadian government in tax money and we get back only 4 fifth of that money...so basically we get ripped off of one fifth of our tax money
JudBooth: I mean, one fifth of our tax money we get nothing for
JudBooth: and we pay 52% tax so that's a lot
JudBooth: (plus 15% sales tax)
-------: why does Quebec have to do that and not the rest of Canada
JudBooth: because the money isn't given back to provinces respecting a pro-rata of population as in the US ... here, the important is that provinces get money to fund the services they give. But since we have more money than most provinces, we end up paying for people who hate us and live 1000 miles from us
------------: ah