buying used dvds

Started by dufresne, June 16, 2003, 12:57:17 AM

dufresne

is it worth it?  i'd really like to take advantage of it but has anyone here had any horror stories?
There are shadows in life, baby.

Sleuth

I'd say it's worth it
I like to hug dogs

godardian

All my used DVDs are fine. Generally, you can take them back if they're not (especially if you get pre-viewed from Hollywood or some such).

Only problem I've ever had with a DVD that cleaning it wouldn't fix was a rental, which the clerk told me could be "heat warping." That's one problem out of hundreds of DVDs rented/used DVDs bought, so I'd say those are fairly good odds. Ask to visually inspect it before you buy it, and try to view it soon thereafter to make sure it's okay.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

i have only bought one-Tigerland-  and yes it is worth it :yabbse-thumbup:

picolas

Quote from: tremoloslothI'd say it's worth it
..if done properly. i've heard tales of price tags that just don't come off...partially scratched boxes..even water stains. sometimes i can still hear the screams of my player taking that extra second to load up the disc. that shit will hurt you for a long time.

dufresne

i forgot to mention that i was considering buying used dvds online.  should i really expect the dvd to be 'factory sealed' if they claim it is?
There are shadows in life, baby.

Pwaybloe

I've had lots of luck with buying used DVD's and CD's online.  Half.com is a great site.  You better get on there before it disappears (their owner, ebay.com, is under a copywright lawsuit).  It won't be there much longer (and neither will "Buy it Now" option on ebay.com)

One thing I have noticed is to be wary of sellers that sell large quantities.  

Anyway, when the seller says "factory sealed," I've never had a problem with them misleading.  Beware of when they mislead newness state "sealed."  It's usually just shrink-wrap over a used DVD.

Cecil

Derek237

Used DVDs are definatley worth it, especially if it's a great movie with bad features you don't want to pay full price for. All the used DVDs I've bought had nothing wrong with them at all....

bonanzataz

i buy tons of used dvd's off of amazon and ebay and half. my magnolia is a used copy and it's the only one i've had trouble with. there was a scratch in it, but i buffed it out with that $0.99 scratch removal junk and it's played fine ever since.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls