another matrix thread (hot potato)

Started by sphinx, March 18, 2003, 06:31:10 PM

nappyrat

look, i dunno why all you dorks think so much about all the things in the matrix.!!

cmon, its a movie, and for dumb people like you, they NEED to explain the rules and regulations in the matrix..
dont hate on the wakowski bros.
it turned out pretty great...i mean, 10000000000 fans cant be wrong...?

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

major spoilers for the rest of the trilogy[/color][/size]

The Matrix Revolutions Update
Source: The Z Review

Joel Silver says:
"Reloaded and Revolutions could be one film. But I htink they work best as two sittings. It's quite a lot to absorb. Revolutions is all-out war between the humans and the machines and will, by all accounts, blow your f*****g minds. We have a 14 minute, $40 million battle sequence that is the most complicated sequence ever put on film.

John Gaeta, stunt director:
"Reloaded, no problem; even though it was incredibly difficult, there was a lot of buffer time built in. Revolutions, on the other hand is aggressive because it's quite grand. Revolutions is much more epic. More creature based and much more about machines and bio-mechanical places. It's an awesome catagory to work in as a lot of us are big fans of Alien. It's a completely different train to anything we've done before.

Dan Cracchiolo, Production executive:
"You know Revolutions is the real thing, right? Revolutions is the pay off. Reloaded is just a tease...."

And the man himself, Neo - Keanu Reeves:
"The first is about birth. The second about life. The third about death. I don't know though. Maybe it should be called The Matrix Resurrection."

spoilers have ended[/color][/size]
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

sphinx

virtualMatrix: What is the significance of Neo eating the Oracle's cookie?

WachowskiBros: There was a piece cut out of the movie that explained the significance more. It's hard to explain.

Gold Trumpet

I remember them doing this sort of talk with Reloaded in contrast to the original and the the effects and exhibition of them was more impressive in the first actually. I really don't trust them anymore. Sure, Reloaded pushed the graphics up, but the effect was better in the first. Too much CGI ness was poking its head out in the second one and over extended scenes of the fighting. So, really, I wasn't even impressed by the effects of the second one even. First one was very impressive.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetToo much CGI ness was poking its head out in the second one and over extended scenes of the fighting. So, really, I wasn't even impressed by the effects of the second one even. First one was very impressive.

That's exactly how I felt about "Lord Of The Rings."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetToo much CGI ness was poking its head out in the second one and over extended scenes of the fighting. So, really, I wasn't even impressed by the effects of the second one even. First one was very impressive.

That's exactly how I felt about "Lord Of The Rings."

:? ....odd    Mac I am not trying to get on your bad side in  fact i think like most on this board  you have good tastes/points/insights/etc.      ...but  i found reloaded's CGI ness some what cheesy also.   LOTR-FOTR and TTT were perfect IMO ...what do you mean?  sorry if i sound redundant/ignorant i am just curious as to what  you mean.

MacGuffin

Put it this way, I believed there were 100 Agent Smiths more than I believed trees could walk and talk and fight. In my review of "Reloaded", I admitted that some shots in that sequence looked fake and took me out of the movie a bit, but the CGI in the car chase sequence was outstanding (yes, even the trucks crashing and the rescue) and the effects of the Twins were flawless. As stated in GT's quote, the extended fights scenes and too much CGI ness of "Two Towers" screamed FAKE to me - especially the long pull out shot from the tower, past all the troops with their spears and flags waving. One that really stuck out was Merry and Pippin sticking out from the tops of the trees and the background looked incredible off; you could see it was done with blue screen. I accepted the CGI in "Fellowship" (right from the opening prologue) and thought they were used better and more believable there. I found the effects 'video gamey' in "Two Towers," not in "Reloaded".

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

I get what you're saying Mac, but I saw it as the opposite. Even if LoTR and Matrix had equally crappy effects, LoTR could get away with it easier because the movie is based in a fantasy world with characters that have never visually been identified. It's easier to buy into the thought of seeing a living, walking tree for the first time instead of seeing hundreds of fake looking people. And like I said in a different thread, I think what makes the effects in Matrix so off isn't the character's actions and faces, but the physics of their clothing. We've all seen a person and the way physics affect the things around us, that's why you can point out flaws in the Matrix so easily. But with LoTR you've got nothing to base opinion on. So it basically boils down to whether or not you're willing to buy into the fantasy world. The effects in LoTR were excellent. I think it is more the inability to accept the visual representation of fantasy characters than anything else that makes someone say it had bad scale or effects.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

sphinx

you guys can keep talking, but i don't want my matrix news thread to turn into an opinion thread because sphinx likes his news and thoughts separate

i'm trying not to be an ass  :yabbse-sad:

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusThey have a good write up about the Matrix (which specifically deals with the question I raised) in this month's Creative Screenwriting (Hugh Jackman cover). It also tells of the evolution the Matrix script took. Very interesting stuff. Look it up if you're interested in Matrix lore.

MATRIX secrets spilled? Possible SPOILERS inside!
Could the first draft of THE MATRIX contain hints for the next two movies?

The May/June issue of Creative Screenwriting contains a fascinating article for fans of THE MATRIX films. In Jeff Goldsmith's six-page examination, the writer looks back at the first and second drafts of THE MATRIX as written by the Wachowski brothers and before the story had coagulated into the shooting draft. The Wachowskis' earlier scripts contain a number of story elements that were junked from the final product audiences saw in theaters, including Neo leaving a girlfriend and little brother behind in the Matrix, an explanation about the origins of the Matrix from a sentient computer program named Eve and different action sequences. One of the more interesting ideas revealed to have been included in these MATRIX early drafts is the idea that the Matrix runs from the years 1980 to 2009, then "reloads" back to 1980 and begins the cycle once again. That should sound familiar to RELOADED fans.

So could there be more ingredients from the discarded drafts we'll see return in THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS? George Lucas did the same thing when he put together the story for THE PHANTOM MENACE, recycling ideas and names discarded from earlier drafts of STAR WARS. There is one intriguing idea mentioned in the Creative Screenwriting piece that could be used somewhere in REVOLUTIONS, namely Morpheus' revelation that the so-called real world may in fact be just another Matrix. It would certainly explain some of the unusual events we saw take place in RELOADED, such as Agent Smith's escape to the real world and Neo's new abilities.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

©brad