The House of the Devil

Started by Stefen, November 09, 2009, 01:35:49 PM

Stefen

Trailer -

Has anyone else seen this? I wish I knew about it for Halloween because it's seriously one of the scariest movies I've seen. It's filmed in 16mm and looks exactly like an 80's slasher film. I mean exactly. It starts off a little slow, but it never gets boring because it's very atmospheric.

Awesome, awesome movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

One of the year's ten best for sure. Even though they misspelled my name in the credits. : )

JG

Was lucky enough to see it early in the day on Halloween. Very good, hits all the right notes, slowly inching toward its inevitable conclusion. Gets suspense right. That said, I'm not sure the payoff worked, but I'll give it a pass just because all that precedes it is kinda perfect. Best scary movie in a bit. (Top 20).

matt35mm

They should have called this The House of Wasted Pizza.

I liked it.

squints

Just saw this. What a perfect little horror movie. Its out on dvd and on netflix instant so everyone should see it. The music is fantastic as well, all of the elements add up to make it feel like it could've been made in 1985. First movie in a long time that actually made me jump.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Yeah, I was definitely surprised by this.  It manages to ease in the tension and shifts really smoothly into frightening panic mode and the ending is such a great sendup to the bleak nature of 80's slasher pics.

Quote from: Ghostboy on November 09, 2009, 03:28:49 PM
One of the year's ten best for sure. Even though they misspelled my name in the credits. : )

What did you do in the movie?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye