TOP 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2006 - A LIST Thread

Started by modage, January 01, 2006, 07:54:50 PM

jigzaw

1.  Scoop- I've seen everything by Woody Allen, love most of them, and will see this too.

2.  The Departed- loved The Aviator, (not to mention many of his early movies)

3.  Marie Antoinette- I loved what Sofia Coppola said about her approach to this movie being to basically show that the people supposedly running the country were
                              a bunch of partying teenagers.  Looks cool.

4. Apocalypto-  Didn't see The Passion, but the trailer for this looks pretty amazing.

5. Miami Vice-  Usually love Mann's movies.  I grew up in Miami!

SiliasRuby

1. Inland Empire-Because it's been way too long and I can't get enough of everything he's done
2. The Departed-Jack and Scorsese, that's all I gotta say
3. Miami Vice-I love the show,the cheesy dialogue and great 80's music. and of course the real reason I want to see this is because of Mann.
4. The Fountain-Here's to expectations either being met or us being totally let down
5. The Children of men-Cuaron and Julianne Moore, my fav. actress
6. Southland Tales-Because I love ensemble films and having it written and directed by kelly sweetens the deal.
7. Thank You For Smoking-It's been a while since a really great original satire comedy has come out.
8. Zodiac-It could be the next movie assholes dig...:yabbse-grin:
9. Oliver Stone's 9/11: I'm crossing my fingers he'll go conspiracy on us, but if he doesn't he'll still make it interesting, he's one of my favorites.
10. The Black Delilia-I LOVE Noir
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Derek237

I have to say, the only movie that I'm really, really intrigued to see is American Dreamz, directed by Paul Weitz. I've seen the trailer twice now, and it's really something else. It stars Dennis Quaid as the president of the U.S., and Hugh Grant as a Simon Cowell/Ryan Secreast type "Americal Idol" type TV show (named "American Dreamz" I think) host. The president has gone sort of insane, and to boost his approval ratings his advisors make him appear as a special guest judge on the show. Meanwhile, Grant is sick with the same old contestants, and is pleased when a young middle-eastern man shows talent and gets him on the show. However, this young man is under threat of being tortured to death by a terrorist group if he doesn't win the competition, and be able to bring a bomb on the show to assassinate the president. There's more to it, but that's the jist of it. Oh, it's a comedy BTW.

Paul Weitz has made some fantastic movies IMO, but this one looks like the most complex and ambitious. It looks so absurd, so unconventional, that it has the potential to be a really great better-than-average movie, or just plain terrible. I hope for the former. I'm really looking forward to it.

for petes sake

im surpised there's not more excitement around Scoop and a Prarie Home Companion.  I loved Match Point, and Prarie Home could very well be Altman' swansong. 

modage

old peoples movies arent as exciting as when they were younger.  now young peoples movies are more exciting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

Quote from: modage on February 02, 2006, 05:54:16 PM
old peoples movies arent as exciting as when they were younger.  now young peoples movies are more exciting.

cause we all know if Kubrick were still alive his movies would be unexciting crap
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Inland Empire, Notorious Bettie Page, Manderlay, and I'm Not There (IF it's really going to happen. . .).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: JimmyGator on January 02, 2006, 02:10:22 PM
Quote from: modage on January 02, 2006, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on January 02, 2006, 10:00:33 AMI'm not a big Fincher fan.  I think his best movie was his first, and it's been downhill ever since.

Sorry, I forgot about Alien.  I meant Se7en.   And I wasn't really thinking about The Game either. 

JG, I'm not much of a Fincher fan, either. But for apparently different reasons: I like The Game and Panic Room much more than I like Fight Club or Se7en
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

jigzaw

Raikus

No one at all is interested in Night Watch? Or are you counting it as a 05 release even though it starts in the US the end of this month?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Kal

I was reading about that yesterday... and Day Watch, which broke all the box office records in Russia... sounds interesting.

modage

i was really interested, until i saw it, and then i became less interested.

Raikus

Care to fill us in a bit? I didn't really have any expectations other than it seemed an interesting premise and the trailer made the cinematography look excellent. Does the plot lack or what?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick