Hume Cronyn R.I.P.

Started by godardian, June 16, 2003, 04:17:59 PM

godardian

Celebrity News: 16th June 2003

Veteran Actor Hume Cronyn Dies at 91
Hume Cronyn, the veteran character actor of stage, screen and television who often co-starred with his wife, the late Jessica Tandy, has died at his Connecticut home of complications from prostate cancer; he was 91. Well-known for his roles in recent films such as Cocoon and Marvin's Room, Cronyn made his acting debut onstage in 1931, playing a paperboy; three years later, he made his first appearance on Broadway in Hippers' Holiday, marking the beginning of an illustrious and versatile stage career which culminated in a 1964 Tony award for playing Polonius opposite Richard Burton's Hamlet. Cronyn began his film career in 1943 with a scene-stealing turn as a neighbor addicted to gruesome detective stories in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt. A year later, he appeared in Hitchcock's Lifeboat and also received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the World War II drama The Seventh Cross. Notable roles also included Phantom of the Opera, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Cleopatra, The Parallax View and There Was a Crooked Man. Cronyn frequently worked with his wife, Jessica Tandy, to whom he was married from 1942 until her death in 1994, appearing with her onstage in Foxfire and The Gin Game as well as in the Cocoon films; he won an Emmy opposite her in the TV film To Dance With the White Dog. A writer as well as an actor, he co-wrote Hitchcock's Under Capricorn, Rope and the Jane Fonda TV film The Dollmaker. He is survived by his second wife, Susan Cooper, and his and Tandy's three children.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i know i speak for many when i say this

didnt he fucking die like 10 years ago ??????

godardian

I think it was Tandy who died 10 years ago.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardianI think it was Tandy who died 10 years ago.

i just thought he was dead , i thought alex guiness was dead years before he died also, but maybe thats because i thought darth vader killed him

modage

did Darth Vader kill Hume Cronyn as well?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

soixante

I remember I saw Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy at the Beverly Center multiplex back in the mid-80's.  As Ms. Tandy took a restroom break, I approached Mr. Cronyn while he was waiting in the lobby.  I told him how much I enjoyed his work, especially in "The Parallax View."  He was very nice and appreciated the compliment.  This was a few years before Driving Miss Daisy, when Jessica Tandy won her Oscar.
Music is your best entertainment value.