Pain & Gain

Started by MacGuffin, December 19, 2012, 05:41:26 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: April 26, 2013

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Anthony Mackie

Directed by: Michael Bay

Premise: A pair of bodybuilders in Florida get caught up in an extortion ring and a kidnapping scheme that goes terribly wrong.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

whoa that actually looks really good
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

This trailer alone has more personality than the complete Transformers trilogy.

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on December 19, 2012, 06:36:37 PM
This trailer alone has more personality than the complete Transformers trilogy.

That's not really saying much....

It does looks good, but I can't stand Michael Bay. I'll still watch it cuz of THE ROCK and MARKY MARK.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

©brad

I feel like this is what Magic Mike should have been.

jenkins

It makes me shed a tear to even think about a world in which all those wonderful strip routines don't exist.

matt35mm

I believe in this movie 100%.

We will be entertained, goddamnit! We will be entertained!

polkablues

It doesn't look THAT good, you guys.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on December 20, 2012, 11:05:17 AM
It doesn't look THAT good, you guys.

THANK YOU!

Seriously guys, we know what makes Michael Bay laugh.
Just because he's a fan of the Coen brothers doesn't make him a Coen brother.

Just Withnail

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 20, 2012, 11:30:54 AM
Seriously guys, we know what makes Michael Bay laugh.

This is obviously a full movie of fat-jokes disguised as well-built-jokes.

matt35mm

This movie looks like it's going to scratch an itch that hasn't been scratched for a long time. How skillfully does an itch have to be scratched for it to feel great?

That said, for what this movie is, I think it looks really good. I am looking forward to watching it with a giant bowl of popcorn and a pitcher of beer. The Drafthouse should make a protein milkshake special for this movie.

jenkins

I don't judge the Coen brothers on their action scenes and I don't judge Michael Bay on his comedy.

RegularKarate

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on December 20, 2012, 12:12:36 PM
I don't judge the Coen brothers on their action scenes and I don't judge Michael Bay on his comedy.

What if the Coen brothers made an action film??

jenkins

lol, didn't that at first say "What if the Coen brothers made a comedy?" At least that's what I thought I read the first time I was here, and I thought that was a funny deflation of this thing, and I planned a response while reading the Terry Zwigoff interview. But now it's a different q.

As to the new q, the Coen bros wouldn't make an action movie. It's not their personality. If they did make an action movie, it'd probably still be funny. I think Bay's stuff is hella outrageous and it's (at its best) fun and the fact that people say things and some of those things are meant to be jokes doesn't make the movie a comedy, to me. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I like Tower Heist. So --

pete

I like this.
I don't think Michael Bay's particularly good at making action films - he's good at making an impression of an action film. It's like how Farmville is not a good game but it's widely bought and played.
but this movie doesn't look like it depends on the action set pieces, and that's why I like it. it's got swat team but they don't look like the same old swat shit that Michael Bay's been peddling since The Rock.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton