To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

Sleepless

Welcome! It's nice to have some French influence on this board!

By the way, as a Welshman I feel the same way about Catherine Zeta-Jones.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Welcome to the board! It's funny, when I was in Paris a few months ago, Marion Cotillard was on the cover of every French magazine I saw, she was on posters for at least two upcoming movies, she was in advertisements everywhere... I would probably be sick of her as well if she was that omnipresent here in the U.S.

Probably.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

A few month ago, she was in De Rouille et d'Os of Jacques Audiard. He made A Prophet with Tahar Rahim. I think that Audiard is the best french director, even if I didn't like De Rouille et d'Os. But Cotillard was great in this film. When you're french, it's difficult to see the character, in an american film, I just see Cotillard and it's disturbing.

Anyway, I hope it won't be the same with Jean Dujardin. :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

Hey everyone, I don't know if anyone even reads these, but here I am. My name's Lester, and I'm an Alaskan living in the Philippines. I run a small nonprofit, trying to start a graphic design school for Filipino artists who can't afford college, and my students—rather than paying tuition—give back to the community by volunteering with feeding, elementary education and social welfare programs for street children.

I came here because Paul Thomas Anderson is my favorite filmmaker (I hold a week-long P.T. Anderson-a-thon at my house on occasion, where we watch all his movies and extra bits that I feel might add to the experience, projected on the wall of my screening room), and having seen Magnolia and Boogie Nights at least 45 times each, and his other films many times as well, I thought I might have something to contribute. And I like hearing what other people have to say about his films, and films in general.

Thanks to the people that make this board possible!
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

polkablues

Sorry, you'll have to go. You're making the rest of us look bad.

But seriously, welcome! Has The Master made its way to the Phillipines yet?

Reel

wow, a newb who introduces himself with his first post. They don't make em like this anymore.

few questions:

What's your name mean? I'm just gonna call you Klonopin

How did you end up way the hell over in the Phillipines?

WELCOME!! you seem like a good dude.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: polkablues on February 25, 2013, 10:26:14 AM
Sorry, you'll have to go. You're making the rest of us look bad.

But seriously, welcome! Has The Master made its way to the Phillipines yet?

It hasn't yet, but I pre-ordered it on iTunes a couple months ago, and in anticipation of today's release, downloaded it off a torrent a couple weeks ago. I don't feel too guilty about it since I'd already purchased it. And really, it's the movie I'd been most excited to see for about two years, so how could I not?

Quote from: Reelist on February 25, 2013, 11:35:32 AM
few questions:

What's your name mean? I'm just gonna call you Klonopin

How did you end up way the hell over in the Phillipines?

WELCOME!! you seem like a good dude.

My name is actually the name of a design firm I'm in the process of starting over here with an illustrator friend of mine. His name is Kneil Melicano and I'm Lester Nelson, so we just mixed up our initials and came up with Kneil/Lester/Melicano/Nelson/Operations/Philippines, or KLMNOP. Our focus will be mostly print design for the film and music world, with a few other side projects that interest us.

A few years ago, I was running a design firm in Alaska and just got worn out handling more of the same types of clients, namely the tourism and fishing industries. I wanted to branch out and do something that I could put my personal stamp on, and I had become good friends with a photographer in the Philippines. We had planned on working on a documentary in the PH about people who supported their families by working in the sex industry, and through that, I grew a strong affinity for the Philippines and their culture. A couple of the people who were to be in the documentary were talented artists, and knowing that I made my living in design, they were always chatting me up about my job and design in general. It was obvious that they wanted to do what I did, but they didn't have the opportunities, so my plan was to finish the documentary and then buy them both an iMac and teach them everything I could about graphic design and try to get them some low-level jobs or internships to start out with.

We canceled the documentary early on as it became more clear to us that their neighbors had no idea what they were doing and our documentary stood a very strong chance of negatively affecting their lives. The families wanted to continue, but I don't think it would've worked. So when we canceled the doc, I decided to stay in the Philippines and work on expanding my idea of working with these two young adults into something bigger that would keep me here. Plus every couple months I get to spend a little time relaxing and drinking on a rice farm out in the middle of nowhere which is just about as relaxing and peaceful as can be. If you've seen John Sayles' 'Amigo,' the rice farm area is basically still exactly how they depict it even though that movie takes place around the turn of the century.

Thanks for the compliments and warm welcomes!
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Sleepless

Quote from: Cloudy on February 08, 2012, 09:16:24 PM
I love clouds

You should partner up with this guy and make your next film about a cloud trying to escape a building. Something along the lines of Rubber.

(Welcome to KLMNOP too!)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

earlier this year i had an accident and injured myself, won't describe these things. nothing fun. ended up in a hospital and then hospital rehab, and for some reason i posted here while this was happening. but now i don't remember why i post here. the people who want to make jokes will make jokes, that's you. but some of you i really like

i have an email address with the same name, lemme know if [anything]
trashculturemutantjunkie@yahoo.com

k. bye (blows kiss)

Lottery

Imagine that you post here because you simply like posting here. That should be an adequate enough reason to stay.

polkablues

See you next time you hurt yourself, I guess.  :yabbse-undecided:

Sleepless

I'll miss you, trashculturemutantjunkie. Although maybe it's for the best, your unique post style probably won't be quite the same without all those pain meds coursing through your veins. Hope to see you around here again sometime though (without injury).

my name is 03 and im back and you can all kiss my ass

Quote from: 03 on May 17, 2013, 10:39:28 PM
my name is 03 and im back and i have a lot of love to give*