the stupidest thing you heard someone say abouta musician(s)

Started by NEON MERCURY, September 21, 2003, 09:16:52 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYthe only song about drugs that I hreard that sounds fantastic is The Verve's  'the drugs don't work"

"Heroin" - Velvet Underground
"Cocaine" - Eric Clapton
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Listen to JJ Cale's original version of Cocaine. It blows Clapton's away...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

yeah... don't even really like the Clapton version.

Townes Van Zandt's version of Cocaine blues is pretty fucking good too.

Second that Heroin and add "Waiting for my man".

There are a million good songs about drugs.  
Drugs and women.. most of the best songs are about one or the other.

Vile5

a band/singer can make songs about drugs, women, world peace, religion...whatever, but say a band or song is good or bad just because it talk about drugs, or god, or children, or women, etc, etc and nothing more is, in my opinion, a terrible way to underrate the music...lyric is important yes, but music is more than it...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

phil marlowe

you're all forgetting the masterpiece 'bag o weed' by nate dogg.

but seriously many of you so called film buffs are as generalizing and ignorant as those stupid 'normal' people you love to talk about. e g, saying that marilyn manson isn't talented is just ignorance. i'd like to hear one of you back uip your opinion for saying that.

music alot about taste, just like with film. you can use other peoples opinions as guidance only if you know them and resemble their taste.

Cecil

Quote from: neatahwantaAnd....if you don't think people should critique art and artists, then people shouldn't critique politics and politicians either...because its all a matter of "taste" and "opinion", and last time I knew, politics was not included as a pure science.

was that directed at me?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYthe only song about drugs that I hreard that sounds fantastic is The Verve's  'the drugs don't work"

"Heroin" - Velvet Underground
"Cocaine" - Eric Clapton

..heroin sounds depressing

..cocaine sounds too  upbeat

..the drugs don't work .. sounds fantastic

... :wink:

rustinglass

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
..heroin sounds depressing

yes, but the song progresses to a not so depressing climax.
I like godsmack and junkhead by alice in chains
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2