my best friend's birthday bootleg

Started by Cecil, January 27, 2003, 09:58:02 PM

Satcho9

Now that would be an interesting buy.

Duck Sauce

What is it about? Somebody buy it, and let me know if its worth anything.

MacGuffin

Doesn't look like it's a complete copy:

Tarantino wrote the script with acting-class buddy Craig Hamann and starred (with Hamann) and directed the film with money pulled together from his Video Archives friends (who were all involved, either as actors or behind the camera).

The audio from their first batch of footage was out of synch (thanks to the ancient camera they used) and the second batch of film was destroyed in the lab. So Tarantino dropped it altogether and moved on to writing TRUE ROMANCE.

Mickey Burnett (played by Hamann in the film) is about to turn thirty and he's not happy about it. Worse yet: his girlfriend has dumped him. And worse still: he's just gotten fired from his deejay job thanks to Clarence Pool (played by Tarantino in the film). Clarence, whose friendship with Mickey rises to almost homosexual proportions, wants his buddy to enjoy his birthday and hires a hooker (named Misty Knight) to go to Mickey's house and sleep with him. Misty's pimp (Clifford) shows up. Mickey and Cliff battle it out. Misty ends up with Clarence. Mickey winds up with Clarence's girlfriend Cecilia. And Cecilia's real boyfriend, the volatile, truculent Eddie (who's a cop) is looking for Cecilia and to kick the crap out of anyone who steps in his way.

More screenshots: http://www.baader-kirchofer.net/tarantino/movie/bestfriendsbday.htm
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Satcho9

I wonder how they got this, I was under the impression that quentin had the only copy of the vid? Anyone smell a theif? Maybe one of the old Video Archives crew sold it to make some extra cash...

Cecil

roger avary says that he owns a copy of the film... so i guess a completed version does exist.

Travis Bickle

Cecil

Quote from: Travis Bicklebut i heard he never completed it

yeah thats what he tells you

SubstanceD

The movie sounds like it sucks. I mean, I bet anyone of us on this board could have come up with that story, probably made a hell of alot better. Anyhow, what the fuck do I know. It should be a cool buy. I would like to see the other movies WHo do you thinky ou're fooling. I heard about them. They compare hong kong movies with Reservoir dogs (City On Fire Particularly) and show how the story of City on Fire is identical to Reservoir Dogs. Like he's a little copy cat punk. But I don't think so, he's the bomb.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Cecil

Quote from: SubstanceDThe movie sounds like it sucks. I mean, I bet anyone of us on this board could have come up with that story, probably made a hell of alot better. Anyhow, what the fuck do I know. It should be a cool buy. I would like to see the other movies WHo do you thinky ou're fooling. I heard about them. They compare hong kong movies with Reservoir dogs (City On Fire Particularly) and show how the story of City on Fire is identical to Reservoir Dogs. Like he's a little copy cat punk. But I don't think so, he's the bomb.

ive seen those, you can find them online if you look for them