Burn After Reading

Started by modage, February 04, 2006, 12:51:21 PM

Alexandro

Technically, there's a lot to be admired. The fact some people are saying Lubeszki's cinematography is intrusive and calls attention to itself, while others say the film is plain looking is telling. The first ten or so minutes I kept thinking the film had an "ugly" look. Plain, that's what I thought. But slowly I started noticing how even the shortest of shots made sense, aesthetically and storytelling wise. Then I started noticing the editing. I think the Coens have reached, in their last two films, a new level of precision. You may or may not like it, but they are cutting exactly where they should, using exactly what they have to use from every take, actor, moment, line. The writing is also wonderful. I dare any of you to write this kind of baroque comedic dialogue, with the wit and layers they do here. This is the work of two guys at the top of their games. I'm really just astonished to read some of the comments here. Really, someone complained about how the word "fuck" doesn't make a comedy. And how about the whole thing is pointless, and mean. Like that's something new with the Coens....

I mentioned the word layers because the film, despite what the Coens want people to believe, and what most people believe around here, IS about something. New Feeling nailed it for me when he says is mainly about self-obsession. Man, I see people like those two idiots every day and always think to myself how come our culture (global, not only american) has devolved into this. Self obsessed little persons, sure they are "the ones", "special", that they will "make it". Meaning they will have money, more than the other, they will have real love. Gym culture is of course, the perfect environment to illustrate this. I've never met people more self obsessed and insanely egotistical than gym people. They also tend to be dumb as shit. Clueless about everything except their own value as individuals. The film shows all of them as idiots because they will do anything to achieve this pointless goal. So by the end, if the film declares itself pointless, it seems to be saying that it's not only the film, but the whole system that has grown to be one pointless enterprise. As they say, we can learn to never do it again, but what was that we did wrong? Do we really know?

So the film is about something. So it is not pointless. You may say is saying nothing new, but I don't think any film is saying anything new, and I don't think that's a requisite to make a piece of art. There are no rules as to what are subjects valuable to explore for artists, or methods. So if these guys want to make a misanthropic farce about the self obsession of our culture, it's completely valid.

I thought the acting was great all around. The dialogue is sharp and very very very difficult for an actor. Everyone of these guys amazed me with their delivery. And I love that they are not afraid to go over the top. I love it because doing that can be repellent, and they don't give a shit and take the challenge and go all the way with it. This is not a subtle film. This is the style needed for it to work. The only one I found out of place was Tilda Swinton. But the the four leads were superb.

I also like the way they changed tones throughout, as if trying to see with just how much they could get away with. A couple of people walked out of the movie where I saw it, but the majority stayed and laughed louder and louder as the film progressed. It is an acquired taste for sure, and for some people may not work. But this is not like Intolerable Cruelty or The Ladykillers where they were trying to go mainstream. This is the Coens trying to go the other way, just like with No Country.

I liked the music. But I liked it better than there was no music during most of the picture. The Coens rely often too much on music to create atmosphere, but here (and in no country) they have tried to get throug it with less and less.

I'm sorry of some of you guys hated it so much, and I'm sorry some of you guys have even said that people who liked this are to be questioned about their tastes in the Coen oeuvre. I also believe that by principle, if you say to yourself you love cinema and are serious about it, any Coen Brothers film should be seen at least twice, and way more times.

pete

you may be right about the craftsmanship, but the point is no one gave a shit about this film.  They didn't hate it passionately; it didn't offend anyone; people called it pointless because no one was sure what they were supposed to be watching, which is fine by a good number of folks in this thread, but not fine by everyone, especially those with their own expectations of a Coen Bros movie.  that's an unfortunate fact that you also can't argue: no one cares.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

well, by the way some of the comments were written around here, it seemed to be a very hated film. as if there was nothing redeemable about it. hence a bunch of people calling it pointless. which of ocurse it isn't. and when people don't give a shit about a movie, they don't spit out opinions on it. they just ignore it. at least that's what i do.

diggler

spoilers:

so i'm starting to realize i have a man crush on richard jenkins. between this and step brothers he's given two of my favorite comedy performances of the year. both roles are written as characteristic straight men and he sells them so well.  pitts death in the film gets laughs for sheer audacity but jenkins death just felt wrong and mean spirited. i was off board at that point. too bad it was the ending, i enjoyed the rest of the film leading up to it very much. 
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

SiliasRuby

You are right ddiggler...I'm drunk posting had fun at a dance cleb lst night yeahg.....fuck ya...gt acts like hes sooo smart...he probably is...so am I...I just don't show it here...all YOU see is I agree I agree I agree...yeah...thats the stuff...well I feel liuke michael's older bro in goddfather 1 and 2-not good eenough....welI'm sorry you sons of gunns with your sarcastic bullshit that very few could analyze ya ya...suckers...ya...fuckers....I boght BURN AFTER READINg you douches on BLU_RAY....awesome...blu-ray is awesome....mmmhmmm....I love pulp fiction and tom cruise...I don't care what anyone says fucker...I want to make love to kim H.....okay I'll calm down...my heads feeling heavy even though I know ALL the words to 'baby got back' even the female voices...bye guys..see some of you soon in LA ('I hope not' says the douchebag pubrick who isn't here)...I'm gonna listen to some beatles now...bye///Brad pitt is awesomely stipid in this movie by the way...gooodbye till tomorrow.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pozer

you're so Third Eye Blind-Self Titled Album.

private witt

The problem with BAR was that all the funniest scenes were described to the audience by the CIA spook.  Cardinal rule of film making: show it, don't tell it.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Stefen

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 28, 2008, 03:56:45 AM
You are right ddiggler...I'm drunk posting had fun at a dance cleb lst night yeahg.....fuck ya...gt acts like hes sooo smart...he probably is...so am I...I just don't show it here...all YOU see is I agree I agree I agree...yeah...thats the stuff...well I feel liuke michael's older bro in goddfather 1 and 2-not good eenough....welI'm sorry you sons of gunns with your sarcastic bullshit that very few could analyze ya ya...suckers...ya...fuckers....I boght BURN AFTER READINg you douches on BLU_RAY....awesome...blu-ray is awesome....mmmhmmm....I love pulp fiction and tom cruise...I don't care what anyone says fucker...I want to make love to kim H.....okay I'll calm down...my heads feeling heavy even though I know ALL the words to 'baby got back' even the female voices...bye guys..see some of you soon in LA ('I hope not' says the douchebag pubrick who isn't here)...I'm gonna listen to some beatles now...bye///Brad pitt is awesomely stipid in this movie by the way...gooodbye till tomorrow.

HAHAHA. Ether.  :bravo:

I remember when I used to post drunk.

I just went back and re-read most of my posts from late 04 to mid 05 in an effort to prove my point but instead, I ended up depression.  :oops:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 28, 2008, 03:56:45 AM

I can't believe i haven't seen that before. Gold.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Scrooby

Burn After Reading, in a scene at about the halfway mark, has within it at least five or six (or even more) different film references packed within its brisk running time. Such glorious density may have but one cinematic predecessor : the back room of Kubrick's Rainbow Fashions, a location that includes elements from virtually all his films. So we can define such a scene as a "compendium scene". In the case of Burn After Reading, without giving any plot points away, the film has, in one scene, very obviously in each instance : (a) Psycho (in more ways than one : both thematic and music cue); (b) To Live and Die in L.A. (1985), (c) Blue Velvet (1986) (and I included the dates for those two films to illustrate what may be a point of some kind being made, possibly); also (d) Clooney sings/hums a song from the 1930s, a tune which I think is from a Fred Astaire movie (I cannot recall; I haven't seen the film in years; possibly You'll Never Get Rich). So far I have mentioned four. I shall leave the rest for the world.

Just another Scrooby discovery. What have you discovered today?