Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's iTunes playlist
Source: Hollywood Wiretap

Here's list of what Woody's listening to, with his commentary:

1. "Blue Horizon," Sidney Bechet: "There are so many great recordings by Sidney Bechet. I could do the whole list just on him. Resisting the temptation, I picked one. A perfect blues."

2. "Burgundy Street Blues," George Lewis: "George Lewis is the New Orleans clarinetist with the miraculous, angelic sound. There are many versions of this great blues and I could have picked any of them, but this one is well-recorded."

3. "Origainal Jelly Roll Blues," Jelly Roll Morton: "Arguably, the greatest traditional jazz recordings made. There are a number of them each greater than the last - I picked this one..."

4. "The Pearls," Jelly Roll Morton: "...and for my next choice, the same group playing 'The Pearls.' "

5. "Coronet Chop Suey," Louis Armstrong: "In the movie 'Manhattan,' I chose 'Potato Head Blues' to represent Louis Armstrong, so I thought I'd pick another unbelieveably great trumpet record."

6. "Shine," Louis Armstrong: "This is an example of Louis as soloist with a big band. Amazing as usual and worth it just for the end part.

7. "Over the Rainbow," Bud Powell: "Hands down, the greatest of all jazz piano players. Dark chords, troubled, very deep."

8. "A Night in Tunisia," Bud Powell: "An uptempo tune that shows how astonishing he was."

9. "Just You, Just Me," Thelonious Monk: "Monk is one of a kind and there are so many recordings he made that are fabulous that I could have picked others just as easily."

10. "Koko," Charlie Parker: "Like Sidney Bechet, you could pick nothing but Charlie Parker's great sides so I chose one rather than 100 others just as great."

11. "Giant Steps," John Coltrane: "I could have picked something by Stan Getz, the unbelievably great Sonny Rollins, Albert Burbank of New Orleans, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, or a tune called 'Lonely Woman' by Ornette Coleman, but with one slot open I had to pick John Coltrane playing 'Giant Steps' because it's so amazing and changed the direction of jazz."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Pozer

modage

woody allen listens to jazz?!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Judge Awards $95,000 to Woody Allen

Woody Allen has been awarded $95,000 in legal fees in a dispute with his former producer.

State Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Bernard Fried on Thursday ordered Jean Doumanian, Allen's former producer and friend of 30 years, to pay the sum to Allen's Moses Productions.

The two clashed earlier this year over how to edit Allen's films to meet television standards.

The judge ordered the producer to pay Allen $48,000 in legal fees, and held Doumanian's production company, Sweetland Films, in contempt for failing to put money in escrow. Fried ordered Sweetland to pay Allen another $47,000 in fees.

In May 2001, Allen had filed a lawsuit charging Doumanian and Jacqui Safra, her personal and professional partner, had cheated him out of $12 million from six movies. The parties settled the dispute in 2002 for an undisclosed sum.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's Wild Bunch production ends
Source: Cineuropa

Filming on a new, yet untitled film by Woody Allen, co-financed by French sales outfit Wild Bunch and US-based Virtual Films, is currently wrapping up in London.

Starring Colin Farrell, Ewan McGregor, Hayley Atwell, Sally Hawkins, Mark Umbers and Tom Wilkinson, the "Untitled Woody Allen Summer Project" – the New York director's third consecutive feature to be set in London after Match Point and Scoop – is the story of two Cockney brothers in south London (Farrell and McGregor) who buy and restore a boat. A young woman (Atwell) who lands in London on her search for fortune crosses the two men by accident on her path.

When McGregor's character falls in love with her, she becomes aware of her power to attract the opposite sex and uses this to the point of leading the two brothers, who are in financial difficulty, into crime, and creating a dangerous rivalry between the two men.

The seven-week shoot, which began on July 10, is now drawing to a close, with the team and Hungarian veteran and three-time Oscar nominated DoP Vilmos Zsigmond having travelled from Brighton to London (Studios Ealing) for filming.

The €13m budget film, which includes investment from TF1 Films Production and was substituted last spring for a too ambitious Parisian project, has already been pre-sold by Wild Bunch to almost all international territories.

An increasingly important player in the film industry, with the production of the "Untitled Woody Allen Summer Project" the French company has passed yet another milestone in its development and reinforces its credibility as a partner for ambitious projects, including US films.

Slated for next spring, the film's theatrical release could be preceded by a premiere at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival before Allen heads to Spain for the summer to shoot a new feature produced by MediaPro.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Details on Woody Allen's Spanish Project
Source: Variety

Woody Allen's Spanish project is set to start filming after he completes his third London movie. The pic will be set in Barcelona and star English-speaking actors who play foreigners in the Spanish city. The drama will turn on a love entanglement.

The movie will be produced by Mediapro and Gravier Productions, the company of Allen's sister Letty Aronson, his longtime producer.

Allen signed with Spanish production house Mediapro in December to shoot the film next summer, using international and Spanish actors.

Allen will write the script after he finishes editing his latest London movie, which follows last year's Match Point and Scoop, released this summer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

So I finally saw Scoop a while back. Kind of the light counterpart to Match Point (hardly an original thought, I know, but it was my perception). Scarlett and Hugh have to be the hottest couple in any of Allen's films. They're both quite beautiful people, and for me, that added an extra sizzle to the proceedings. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but I hope he will return to more serious stuff like Match Point soon. It's listed as a "drama" on IMDB, but we never know until it's done....
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

gob

Only recently saw "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask'' and I can safely say that Gene Wilder's performance in 'What Is Sodomy?' is one of my favourites of all time.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's Next Star: Penelope Cruz
Source: Fox News

We should have known it would happen. I think I can tell you exclusively that Penelope Cruz, the hottest star going right now, is set to headline Woody Allen's next project.

The untitled comedy-drama will film all summer in Barcelona, where Allen will move his family and crew.

Woody told me only that much last night at the annual amfAR dinner to raise money for AIDS research, where he and wife Soon-Yi showed up so Woody could offer a testimonial to Dr. Mathilde Krim.

Woody and Dr. Krim go way back — her late husband, Arthur, was the head of Orion Pictures, the home of many classic Allen films like "Bananas," "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan."

The Spanish film — in which Penelope will speak both Spanish and English — is the latest in a line of dramas for Woody. He got incredible acclaim for "Match Point," a couple of years ago. It was my pick for best film of 2005.

But before he begins production on the Cruz film, Woody still has to bring out "Cassandra's Dream." He told me that one is "heavy" and "serious" and "more like 'Match Point.' If you liked that one, you're going to love this."

Allen and producing partner Letty Aronson, his sister, will take "Cassandra's Dream" to the Cannes Film Festival in May and look for a distributor. It's unlikely to open the festival, Woody said, "because I don't put my films in competition."

"Cassandra" stars Colin Farrell, Ewan McGregor and Tom Wilkinson. And for the record, Woody — who's had his ins and outs with temperamental actors — says of Farrell: "He was a dream to work with." Just in case you were wondering.

Meanwhile, Woody's speech for Dr. Krim at Cipriani 42nd Street was the first of many warm and heartfelt talks given last night by the likes of Sharon Stone, Whoopi Goldberg, Richard Gere, Natasha Richardson, Garry Shandling, Beyonce, Eve, designer Kenneth Cole, MAC Cosmetics' John Demsey and MTV's John Reidy.

Also spotted in the cavernous room (another former bank vault) were Sigourney Weaver, comedian David Brenner, Russell Simmons, Milla Jovovich, Kim Cattrall, Cary Lowell (Mrs. Gere to you), our old pal Vin Roberti of Palisades Pictures and the stunning Carol Alt.

Singer Tracy Chapman livened things up with a couple of songs including "Stand by Me."

It was Woody's speech, though, that everyone came to hear. Allen doesn't make a lot of public appearances, so this was one was unique.

He did so well that afterwards he was inundated with well wishers including Playboy publisher Christie Hefner and Shandling, each of whom introduced themselves.

Shandling was set to later do similar honors for Stone. Is he working on anything new? "Just reading this," he said, clutching a sheath of papers. "You know the expression one day a time? I believe in one minute at a time."

Woody waxed eloquently about the Krims, recalling that when he first met them "I was a complete non-entity. I hadn't done a movie. She was my boss' wife."

In time, though Allen spent many New Year's Eves with the Krims and listened to stories of their ranch in Texas. "What did they do there, I wondered? Herd cows?"

There were plenty more speeches, including a lovely one from Goldberg, who was honored — and rightly so — for her tireless charity work. "It's only what my mother told me I should do in the world," Whoopi said.

But you know, it was Stone — looking like a million bucks — who was the final speaker. She was, as always, a dynamic presence.

She repeated for the audience the anecdote of how she got involved with amfAR. It was after her acting teacher, the late Roy London, told her she had to do something. She answered a call for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and found a young girl dying of HIV. The rest, as they say, is history.

Sharon said the girl's wish was to be taken to Paul Newman's camp. Stone got a trailer and took her there with nurses. They went to the camp, and on the way home, the girl died.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house. For the record, amfAR raised $3 million. Next stop: the annual fundraiser in May at the Cannes Film Festival.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

tpfkabi

Turner Classic recently aired Purple Rose and Hannah...

why aren't this guy's dvd's more available or if they are, why not any special editions?

the only one that i've seen and didn't care for much was Hollywood Ending, yet that was before i had seen much of his work. i might have only seen Annie Hall at that time, so it could be that i put the high standards of AH on it.

**edit**

kinda answering my own question after looking at his IMDB page:

Said in a 2003 interview that he was "not interested in all that extra stuff on DVDs", and that he hopes his films would speak for themselves. To date [2006] has never recorded an audio commentary, or even so much as be interviewed for a DVD of any films he's been involved with
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on February 08, 2007, 05:52:37 PM
Said in a 2003 interview that he was "not interested in all that extra stuff on DVDs", and that he hopes his films would speak for themselves. To date [2006] has never recorded an audio commentary, or even so much as be interviewed for a DVD of any films he's been involved with

just as well. he's really not that interesting to hear talking about films. see: his worthless contribution to A Life in Pictures.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Bardem joins Woody Allen project
Spanish star joins Cruz in Barcelona set movie
Source: Variety

MADRID — Javier Bardem has joined Penelope Cruz in the cast of Woody Allen's upcoming, untitled summer shoot in Barcelona.

As with Cruz, Bardem's role is unknown: Allen, who is currently editing "Cassandra's Dream," has yet to finish the screenplay. But, like Cruz, Bardem has been asked to keep dates free for the summer.

Details of the pic remain sketchy. More or less the only things that has been made public by Allen or pic's Spanish producer Mediapro is that it is produced by Mediapro and Gravier Prods., the banner of Allen's sister Letty Aronson, his longtime producer, it will shoot mainly in Barcelona and contains English and some Spanish dialogue. Also, its plot features foreigners in the Spanish city and turns on a love entanglement, Allen has declared.

A summer stint with Allen dovetails nicely with Bardem's immediate commitment to tubthump the five-part feature "Invisibles," which Bardem produced, with contributions from Wim Wenders, Isabel Coixet, Fernando Leon, Mariano Barroso and Javier Corcuera.

Turning on some of the world's most overlooked conflicts and illnesses, the five-part fiction/docu pic, played in the Berlin Fest's Panorama last week and shortly bows in Spain.

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

he's also got a new book coming out.

June 12, 2007