movies assholes dig

Started by pete, October 24, 2004, 11:23:11 AM

Lottery

Fight Club is a case of a film people think is clever for the wrong reasons (as the list points out). Anyway, those are less asshole films and more 18 year old budding film fan films.

Now by the sounds of things, this is a movie which assholes have quickly come to love.

Reel

Assholes will always dig Scorsese because Scorsese digs Assholes.

Quote from: pete on October 27, 2014, 03:04:07 PM
http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film-tv/7199/films-stupid-people-think-are-clever/

gotta say I agree with every selection, nearly every word. Fight Club, American Beauty, and The Matrix have a special place in my heart as '99 films really reflecting the mass psychosis going on at the time. I still love them all, but when I watched the end of American Beauty recently, and Lester starts talking about how (spoiler) "your life flashes before your eyes when you die" I wanted to fucking throw up. That 1 minute montage RUINED a perfectly fine film up until that point.

Shawshank and The Departed are movies that I absolutely considered my top #1 favorites of all time on first viewing and degraded in quality ever since. The Life Aquatic's whole aesthetic and hollowed out approach to it's characters just makes me want to die. Never been a fan of The Dark Knight as it stands as one of my all time worst cinematic experiences, with babies crying in the theater and some retarded guy stinking up the bathroom for like the ENTIRE SHOW, so I just had to hold it. That's a movie with an aesthetic that I really DO like, but too big a cast of characters for me to care about anyone but the joker. You can't even technically call it a batman film with how much he stole it.

Love this:

"Realising there was money to be made out of comic book blockbusters masquerading as serious cinema, Hollywood has been ruining fun stories about losers with superpowers by injecting them with 'dark themes' and cod philosophy ever since."

– Sam Parker

and thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for mentioning that shit heap of a film they call Inception

Lottery

Ouch man, I dig Inception.

I think American Beauty is the biggest offender. Fuck yo plastic bag.

Drenk

Reelist didn't understand what I had written. But Lottery got my point.

There. Under me.
Ascension.

Reel

I don't know what you just said

Lottery

I'm sure there's a very disturbed young man who misunderstood American Psycho and regards Bateman as some sort of ubermensch.

Reel

Ubermensch? Now youre just talking jibber jabber

N

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film-tv/7199/films-stupid-people-think-are-clever/

I loved Fight Club and Life Aquatic, guess that makes me an asshole.

Movies digged by assholes I know:
About Time
A Beautiful Mind
Argo
The Prestige
Forrest Gump

I only think two or three of those are actually bad movies. But they all generate far too much hype with so-called "film people" around here. (Repulsive assholes who work at the cinema)

Axolotl

Unnecessary disclaimer:I don't especially like any of these movies.

This article is the definition of clickbait, picking at the lowest hanging fruits they could reach. Has all the insight of  a grizzled, world-weary 19 year old college sophomore who now knows better looking back at the films he used to like as an impressionable misguided 15 year old. I feel dumber for having read this.

Gold Trumpet

I actually agree with all of the movies listed, but the article is dumb because the reasons he give are either no-existent or lazy in every sense. He's criticizing people for essentially liking movies because they either hold a certain cultural respectability or just better fit some people's personality, but he's an asshole himself for being so flippant in knocking all those movies just because he can. A lot of smart people like those reasons for smart reasons so it's not an asshole brigade only leading the charge.

Mel

Low hanging fruits and not controversial enough.

Assholes dig Kubrick - listen me out.

My theory "Every film discussion that last long enough ends up with references to Kubrick". For empirical proof just look at comments of almost every trailer/poster: "Never ending next-Kubrick" discussions, how something resembles Kubrick, how film made by Kubrick is way much better. Sometimes I wonder, if those people walking through the park are seeing Kubricks hanging from the trees...

From my perceptive, those are bandwagon jumpers - the same kind cheering for all winners in the sport. Those silly remarks not only downgrade cinema as a whole, but also undermine work done by Kubrick. It becomes a meme, instead of topic for serious discussion. Everything is trivial.

Now stone me.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

pete

I think kubrick's biggest fans will be the first ones to point out that many of his fans are wrong about him. Also kinda timely - I heard the new space movie by Nolan also has a Hal9000 type character. It seems like every space movie has to/ wants to do a twist on the rogue robot helper now - not the r2d2 type or Data, but all the movies wanna specifically reference Hal. Am I wrong?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

I feel like the people who like Fight Club for the wrong reasons tend to also be really into Clockwork Orange for the wrong reasons.

Quote from: pete on October 30, 2014, 02:32:58 PM
It seems like every space movie has to/ wants to do a twist on the rogue robot helper now - not the r2d2 type or Data, but all the movies wanna specifically reference Hal. Am I wrong?

I've noticed this, too. Michael Fassbender's character in Prometheus was basically an anthropomorphic HAL.

I'm sure somebody out there could write their college thesis on how this represents our shifting cultural attitudes toward emerging technology. That's a freebie for whoever wants it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Axolotl

Haven't watched it in years but the Kevin Spacey AI in Moon was pretty overtly Hallic. It's also played for laughs in the Portal games with Glados

Robyn