Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

MacGuffin

A Cool Hand Luke: Special Edition (1967) is tentatively being planned for 2007.

There's a new John Wayne/John Ford Collection on the way, which will include The Searchers: 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition (1956), along with a Stagecoach: Two-Disc Special Edition (1939), Fort Apache (1948), The Long Voyage Home (1940), The Wings of Eagles (1957), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), They Were Expendable (1945) and 3 Godfathers (1948).

There's also The John Ford Collection that will include The Lost Patrol (1934), The Informer (1935), Cheyenne Autumn (1964), Mary of Scotland (1936) and Sergeant Rutledge (1960).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

cool i've been waiting for Cool Hand Luke, Searchers & Stagecoach.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GoneSavage

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 31, 2006, 05:19:48 PM
A Cool Hand Luke: Special Edition (1967) is tentatively being planned for 2007.
:bravo:

modage

Title: Casualties of War
Released: 25th April 2006
SRP: $19.94

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a new extended cut of the Brian De Palma directed Casualties of War which stars Sean Penn, Michael J. Fox, Don Harvey and John C. Reilly. The disc will be available to own from the 25th April, and should retail at around $19.94. The film itself will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. As well as an additional five minutes of footage added back into the film, the disc will include a Conversation with Michael J Fox, and a making of documentary. We've attached our first look at the HIDEOUS artwork below: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/casualties-of-war.html

Title: The Patriot

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has sent over the details on an extended edition of The Patriot which stars the likes of Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger and Jason Isaacs. This Roland Emmerich directed film will be available to own from the 25th April, and should retail at around $19.94. The disc will carry a digitally remastered widescreen presentation, and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track - along with an additional ten minutes of footage. On top of that, the disc will include all the features (commentary, featurettes etc) from the first retail release of the film. We've attached our first look at the official package artwork below: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-patriot.html

Title: The Replacement Killers

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has also announced a new extended cut of The Replacement Killers which stars Mira Sorvino, Chow Yun Fat and Jurgen Prochnow. This Antoine Fuqua directed film will be available to own from the 25th April, and should set you back around $19.94. The film itself has been digitally remastered for the best possible quality picture and sound, and has an additional eleven minutes of footage. The full spec list has yet to be revealed, although we can confirm the addition of all the features on the previous release (featurettes etc). We've attached a small shot of the official package art below: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-replacement-killers.html

whats with the "Extended Edition" being a new trend? 

so its like all the stuff we couldnt see in theatres?
no, its more like longer versions of scenes and stuff we took out cause it didnt work for one reason or other.

oh, well is it like the 'directors cut'?
no, he actually liked the other one better.  but this IS longer.

why am i buying/re-buying this again? 
just one last way to make sure everyone buys this on dvd before we switch formats and you buy it again.

thanks!  i'll be sure to mark April 25 on my calendar!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

wow, that line of Chinese characters on the cover of replacement killers are like scrambled words from the ingredients on some packaged food or something--it says "mixture substance say color fruit mixture substance".  Looks like the artist just took some words from his juice box.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: pete on February 14, 2006, 06:36:20 PM
"mixture substance say color fruit mixture substance"

This means something.

Redlum

Just highlighting the DVDBeaver analysis of the Contreversial Classics picture quality. Network is vast improvement.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/network_dvd_review.htm

Original:

SE:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

picolas

i like the first one better. it looks more like an old newspaper.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for two-disc special editions of Tora! Tora! Tora!, Patton and  The Longest Day. Each will be available to own from the 23rd May, and should set you back around $19.98 a piece. Each will carry a widescreen presentation, along with English Dolby Surround tracks. Extras on Tora! Tora! Tora! will include an audio commentary by director Richard Fleischer and Japanese film historian Stewart Galbraith, a Day of Infamy documentary, various Movietone News features (The 1st Pictures of the Attack, Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, Now It Can Be Shown, A Year of War Since Pearl Harbor, War with Japan, U.S Declares War on Japan, 1st Pictures of Attack on Japan Islands, Jap Cities Were Bombed By U.S. Army Planes, President Honors ""Jimmy"" Dolittle For Raid on Japan, War Reports Of The United Nations, and Doolittle's Raiders, Who Bombed Tokyo, Mark Anniversary), and the trailers. Patton will include an Introduction and audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola, a Behind the Scenes Gallery Accompanied By an Audio Essay on the Historical Patton, a History Through the Lens: "Patton: A Rebel Revisited" feature, a Patton's Ghost Corps featurette, a Making of Patton documentary, a Production Still Gallery Accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's Complete Musical Score, and the ori ginal theatrical trailer. Lastly, The Longest Day will include a 'Historical' audio commentary, A Day To Remember documentary, a Longest Day: A Salute to Courage featurette, another featurette on the backstory, a D-Day Revisted featurette, a Richard Zannuck on The Longest Day featurette, a still gallery, and trailers. Art is attached: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/fox-ses.html

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: Walrus on February 17, 2006, 12:30:52 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
what do u mean? the mgm sepia-toned dvd transfer is presumably the broken version, and the first "fixing" the original theatrical print received. unless anyone here saw the movie in 1976 we can't say for sure what it's meant to look like. i'll take a restored sharp version over a piece of shit any day. that's just me, i'm crazy like that.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

The flesh tones on the new one look a tad too red, but overall the picture is much better.  It looks sharper and less grainer, from the screencaps.

picolas

datedness can be cool. when i watched the old Network dvd the sepia made it feel like time-traveling a little. which it is. like how sometimes when you imagine the 1920s you see it in black and white without thinking.

hedwig

Mel Brooks collection box art