The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

socketlevel

They're finding the drive somewhere else. I think a lot of artists, or more particularly the artists i like, find their drive in pushing their voice past obstacles. sounds cheesy but i think it's true. somehow i do believe these obstacles make it better, by either humbling a work of art or making the expression louder.

He was giving examples of directors that flourished without this struggle, and I'm saying they're mustering up the drive from somewhere else. I also believe this is something that lynch once did, and is now gone.

sorry if it's generalizing, it's just a general belief and pathos I have.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Quote from: socketlevel on June 13, 2011, 01:23:11 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 10, 2011, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: socketlevel on June 10, 2011, 08:32:26 AMSometimes autonomy isn't a great thing. It's good to have people who put you in check. just look at the new star wars, Lucas only had "yes" men around him. I think this problem applies to mainstream cinema as much as art house. Spike Jonze has had major input to keep charlie Kaufman's scripts a little more paletable. BJM and Adaptation both were way more out there before he put his fingers in it; imo for the better. I'm a strong believer that the more struggle you have with your art, different creative people discussing the material, and not one supreme dictator brings about better work.  Lynch needed someone to do that to ultimately cut down IE

Oh, I see what you mean. I completely disagree, though, and I'd like to see Lynch go even further than he did in Inland Empire.

I should have noted, this is a problem i find in mature directors. Fighting for final cut and clout can manifest bad things... because they end up getting what they wanted all along; yet maybe it was the fight itself that made for better cinema.

Ha! Definitely agree with that. Often times though, the BUDGET will act as the counterbalance and that is the best way. If a producer is limiting you for the sake of marketability or this or that it can definitely hurt the movie. I find that a too big budget and too much time will HURT the movie/novel/album.

modage

Mike Nichols was just saying last night (yeah, namedrop) that he thinks the reason British actors are better (on the whole) is that they're not paid very well. American actors get rich/chase fame and the work isn't as good.  You can't really generalize it that much but I think there's some truth there and with what socketlevel is saying.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Soooo Basically, PT Anderson not being surrounded by Yes-Men = Good Thing

Although I see future pieces with Anderson and Elswit together again, it seems each PTA film features a departure from what we're used to.  I believe it's in the Charlie Rose interview for PDL that he says he wants to go to "the exact left" of wherever he was before in every film, and in my mind that means taking risks artistically AND crew-wise.  There was a different editor on PDL, a different musician writing the score for CMBB, and now a different cinematographer for "The Master".  
As he has likened the crew to being like a band, I think PTA is invested in the people he surrounds himself as they invest themselves with him and the rest of the crew.  
I assume this is what keeps filmmaking fresh for PTA and also the audience so we don't end up with what some accuse Wes Anderson and David Lynch of becoming.

socketlevel

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on June 13, 2011, 10:50:04 PM
Soooo Basically, PT Anderson not being surrounded by Yes-Men = Good Thing

Yes exactly, as long as his career keeps being a struggle it will fuel him. If you've ever heard him talk about Sydney/hard eight and the rage he had going into boogie nights, it made that entire film a fight. to paraphrase his conversation with new line, "When you see a comma, that means there is a fucking comma. When you read the word beat, that means there is a fucking pause."

This is a guess/hope but if he was able to make "the master" the first time around, we would have got that version of the movie. I'm hoping, because it's been a fight up to this point, we're going to get something entirely different.  More time to work on the script, and more determination to get it done. All the while getting a little bitter from the experience, which only suits the subject matter of that story IMO.

affluence breeds fat and lazy people more often than not. that British actor thing rings true to my ears.

Gold Trumpet

Considering Punch-Drunk Love changed significantly than originally intended, There Will be Blood took years to complete, The Master was retooled and rebooted after he got all the right people to say "yes", and PTA once made the comment he was "writing something I actually like" when talking about the process of doing a new film once, I think PTA himself is discernible and critical enough where the "yes men" scenario doesn't factor in as much. Even if believed the point, I couldn't argue for it because I would have to know his processes of working more. However, PTA has talked enough through the media (well, just barely) for me to believe my original point.

Sleepless

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 13, 2011, 03:33:09 PM
Stop the generalizing, please.

^ This.

You also seem to be ignoring the act that PTA's goal is to tell a story and to make a piece of art. Lucas' goal is to make as much axillary money off merchandise sales as possible so he can retreat to his ranch and get wanked off by interns for the rest of his life.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

socketlevel

Well it's true, i am projecting my thoughts on people. It's just a trend I've seen, and this is the answer that best fits so far for me. I still think you gotta keep yourself hungry somehow.

Quote from: Sleepless on June 14, 2011, 09:31:59 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 13, 2011, 03:33:09 PM
Stop the generalizing, please.

^ This.

You also seem to be ignoring the act that PTA's goal is to tell a story and to make a piece of art. Lucas' goal is to make as much axillary money off merchandise sales as possible so he can retreat to his ranch and get wanked off by interns for the rest of his life.

shapes and sizes my friend.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

That's a big ass boat!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

P Heat

I've been waiting for this for as long as anyone here, so i don't mind if its little spoilery to see these pictures!

WOW there great locations.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

polkablues

For the sake of anyone scared off by the supposed "slightly spoilery" nature of the set pictures, these pictures are in no way, shape, or form actual spoilers. If "there is a house and also a boat" can seriously be considered spoilers, the word has no meaning.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Ha, yes that's true. But they're unauthorized I guess, so just being safe. These were not approved by Paul for your eyes.

polkablues

I understand completely why you would state it, because someone out there would be bound to complain that you ruined the movie for them. I just want to never hang out with that person.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

what you don't know is that that boat will crash in the house in a major chase in the final scene of the master, so yeah, thanks for ruining the movie.