PDL DVD Reviews

Started by Derek, June 09, 2003, 11:15:49 AM

Redlum

Goddamn how funny is that deleted scene when he see's the kid outside the warehouse.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

fulty

Yeaaahhh....nooo.....that's really funny.

The deleted scenes are very entertaining,
and they belong right where they are.
Mr PTA has a good feel for when something is overdone.

Also, I'm still trying to figure if the falls were staged.
They must have been set up.
But, man, they sure look like they hurt.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Jon

Just got it today, waiting to watch the movie with you guys, but the deleted scenes were fantastic, ahh...

oakmanc234

Some sort of description of the deleted scenes would be truly, truly appreciated. God knows when the DVD is coming out here.......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

fulty

The scene we mentioned has a little boy playing outside while Barry is doing the sales pitch for the fungers, and Barry notices how cute he is, just soooo cute, I'd like to bash that c#@%s^$!-M8&^%f*&^%$#g head in with a sledge hammer, he's so cute..!!

My favorite is the series of phone calls from his sisters where they call to tell Barry about how 2 of the sisters can't agree on what time the party should start.   Barry says, in an easy going manner, that either 6 or 7 is fine, whatever they decide..... so she angrily blames him for trying to confuse everything.

This gave me an ulcer.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Pozer

Just got mine last night. God I love my local video guy.
wonderful, wonderful. so delicious.
sorry. just so excited to finally have this. spec. feats are superb. the best is definately the above mentioned deleated scene. we really need to get that other DVD off the ground though to make up for lack of behind the scenes/commentary stuff.
just watched the movie this morning. It's been too long. I'm sorry, it's the best movie of '02. Good God I Missed It and am so blessed to have Tet Kakimoto owner of A1 Video in my life. God bless 'im for breakin' the law, letting it blossum early in my home.
Also, really nice to see Greg's name in the spec. thnx. on the DVD.

MacGuffin

DVD review from Entertainment Weekly:

In the glorious light of the San Fernando Valley, an armchair traveler in a bright blue suit (Sandler) collects frequent-flier miles and shivers with repressed rage. A peripatetic woman (the luminous Watson) appears and inexplicably takes an interest in him. Sparks fly. Tears flow. Paul Thomas Anderson' elliptical, stunningly beautiful 2002 Cannes prizewinner is a meditation on true love, the ways in which we are all bizarre, the magic of the perfect match, and the preposterously unlikely nature of the whole enterprise. EXTRAS An indulgent mix, including an arty short, a hilarious commercial for the movie's Mattress Man, and gorgeous artwork by Jeremy Blake, who designed Punch-Drunk's Rothko-on-acid interstitials. A-
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

unlike this other transcript, this one did actually occur:

[future shop - monday june 23rd]
>> hello, future shop, how may i direct your call
>> music
>> hold
>> hello, music and movies
>> hi, do you have any copies of punch-drunk love in?
>> we have 25 copies in and we sell them for $25.99, but the release date isn't until tomorrow
>> sorry, when is the release date?
>> tomorrow.
>> so there's no way i could buy one today?
>> no, we would get fined, and i'd get fired
>> ahah, okay, could you set one aside for me?
>> sure, what's your name?
>> ****
>> sorry, jack?
>> no, ****, *-*-*-*
>> okay, got it
>> thanks
END

sphinx is sad

SoNowThen

Fuck, you're lucky. They won't even tell me the price until the disc is on the shelf. What a retarded rule.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Who is going out to the store at midnight to pick up Kangaroo Jack on DVD?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Ooh ooh!!

*holds hand high in air*

yeah, right
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

So I'll be on the road late tonight and I had planned on stopping at a 24 Hr Wal-Mart after midnight and picking up PDL...well look at this...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=111241
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: SHAFTRSo I'll be on the road late tonight and I had planned on stopping at a 24 Hr Wal-Mart after midnight and picking up PDL...well look at this...

Be sure that you grab that Kangaroo Jack Full Frame edition, so you can avoid all those annoying "black bars".

sphinx

more phone calls

[hmv - monday june 23rd]
>> hello, HMV
>> hi, do you have any copies of punch-drunk love in?
>> no, i'm sorry, it's not being released until tomorrow.
>> so there's no way i could obtain a copy today?
>> no, not today, nowhere.
>> okay, thanks
END

'not today, nowhere' sounded a bit ominous to me.  oh well, tomorrow it is

Fernando

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: SHAFTRSo I'll be on the road late tonight and I had planned on stopping at a 24 Hr Wal-Mart after midnight and picking up PDL...well look at this...

Be sure that you grab that Kangaroo Jack Full Frame edition, so you can avoid all those annoying "black bars".

That's not the worse, This is.