68. do the right thing
69. the killer
70. sex, lies and videotape
71. boyz n the hood
72. jurassic park
73. pulp fiction
74. toy story
75. breaking the waves

anyone who wants to check out the explanations for these choices, (which are chronological by the way if you didnt notice), they're in the new issue of premiere magazine with the hobbits on the cover.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

should this be in the DVD section?

i only have 3

man i need some more dvds

modage

i've have 30.  and a bunch more are on my wishlist.  and i think i've seen 57 of them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

The majority of the items on that list are way overrated.  (And yes, I realize the list is supposed to be "influential," but still, I question where movies are even drawing their influences from sometimes.)  There are a few gems, though.  And the rest I haven't had a chance to see yet.

modage

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThe majority of the items on that list are way overrated.  There are a few gems, though.  And the rest I haven't had a chance to see yet.

influential doesnt mean best.  it doesnt even neccesarily mean good. so, overrated or not, they had more impact on movies than most others.

godardian

I just got this in the mail today. I'll probably glance it over, but to tell the truth, I'm really sick of lists. I suppose lists are useful if you haven't seen very many, but after you've seen (and made) as many lists as I have and know a little something about the movies, they start to seem pointless and same-y... Don't they?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

I've seen 43 of them.
I own 14 of them
5 more my roommate owns so that is why I don't currently.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

well, i'd definitely have #33 if it wasn't in a stupid box set.....come on Criterion
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Quote from: bigideaswell, i'd definitely have #33 if it wasn't in a stupid box set.....come on Criterion

Yes, me too.  I think I'll end up getting the box set.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

Well, considering that The 400 Blows dvd used to cost twice (three or four times?) the boxset on ebay, picking up the Doniel series ain't that bad of deal.  It's extremely well put together, interesting and comprehensive.

modage

Quote from: godardianI just got this in the mail today. I'll probably glance it over, but to tell the truth, I'm really sick of lists. I suppose lists are useful if you haven't seen very many, but after you've seen (and made) as many lists as I have and know a little something about the movies, they start to seem pointless and same-y... Don't they?

i actually like lists.  film history is so vast, and i never went to school to learn about them or anything.  so combing over a bunch of lists is a good way to find some interesting movies to watch.  how else does one learn?  its a good place to start, atleast.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: bigideaswell, i'd definitely have #33 if it wasn't in a stupid box set.....come on Criterion

WHATWHATWHAAAT?!!!! Come on, guys. Stolen Kisses and Bed And Board are must-sees. Really, this is one of the best sets ever.

Plus, did Antoine And Collette come on the first edition? If not, it is also a must-have.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Also, I fail to see how Nanook Of The North is an "essential" dvd. It's not like Train Coming Into Station is an essential movie to own, but it is a "first".
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: SHAFTR

WHATWHATWHAAAT?!!!! Come on, guys. Stolen Kisses and Bed And Board are must-sees. Really, this is one of the best sets ever.

Plus, did Antoine And Collette come on the first edition? If not, it is also a must-have.

Antoine and Colette and Les Mistons came on a separate Fox Lorber disc.

But yeah, this box set is well worth it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.