Kill Bill Volumes 3 & 4

Started by MacGuffin, April 05, 2004, 10:49:04 AM

MacGuffin

More Bill Killing?
Two installments not enough for Quentin

There’s nothing like flogging a dead horse – or a dead crime lord – to get a Hollywood executive’s blood racing. In this fine old tradition, Quentin Tarantino tells the May issue of Empire magazine that he may reopen the book on Bill and the Bride even after Kill Bill Volume 2 hits cinemas on the 23 April.

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking about revisiting the story in a couple of ways,” said the director. “I’ve been thinking about doing it as an anime feature that would tell the entire origin of Bill.” Those who have seen Kill Bill Volume One will remember the anime sequence that demonstrates the lack of large-eyed talking rabbits in Quentin’s cartoons, and in fact that his animated sequences are if anything more violent than his films.

Quentin has also considered telling the story – possibly animated, possibly live action - of Nikki, the five year old whose mother was the Bride’s first victim in Volume One of the revenge drama.

Tarantino did drop a couple of further tidbits about his proposed sequel / prequel, but since they might spoil some of the plot twists in Volume 2 of the saga, anyone anxious to know more will have to buy the magazine.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

An anime film about the origin of Bill written by Tarantino and directed by whoever directed the anime segment in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 would make me come in a couple of seconds.

As for that Nikki nonsense... we'd have Kill The Bride: Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 and then possibly a movie dedicated to the life of Vernita Green pre-Bridal called "How did I escape the Project and became a hot Assassin for my first pimp Bill and the died in my kitchen while my daughter was watching". And then the movie about daysies...
Si

modage

sounds cool, but really. just move on quentin.  you've only got so many movie making years left.  i think two is enough.  the nikki one sounds dumb, but a bill anime thing might be okay.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2006: Tarantino Talks Kill Bill Anime
The director expounds on Kill Bill anime projects.

In addition to showcasing plenty of righteous footage of the upcoming double feature Grind House at his 2006 Comic-Con panel, Tarantino shared that he is interested in expanding the Kill Bill universe with two anime films.

While he has hinted at doing anime to continue the series, he added more detail to his previous comments, stating that he'd like to do two films. The first would be a prequel, focusing on the story of Hatori Hanzo and Bill's rise to power and subsequent fall from grace. The second anime would focus on The Bride character, but no timeframe for this invention was given.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 employed this animated style to tell the story of one of its main villains, O-Ren Ishii. There was no indication if Tarantino would work with the same animator on these projects, but we'll be sure to bring you any updates that crop up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Can you imagine being a producer and trying to work with this guy?  Where the hell is he going?  It's like chasing a 2-year old around a department store.

jigzaw

I agree with a couple of the above posters... Quentin, move on.

Kill Bill:  The Phantom Menace

hedwig

the last post was made almost an entire year ago.... jigzaw, move on.

MacGuffin

HOW DO YOU SAY OH DON PIANO IN CHINESE?
Source: CHUD

What a tangled series of references it takes to bring you an Oh Don Piano story about Kill Bill Parts 3 and 4 – a UPI story that references Chinese news site crienglish.com that references Hangzhou-based 'City Paper' quotes producer Bennett Walsh saying that not only is Quentin Tarantino pondering doing the two sequels, but Walsh has the plotline for you. Walsh supposedly said these things at the Shanghai International Film Festival, but I can't find any actual quotes from Walsh, just paraphrasing. So take all of this with enough salt to send your blood pressure through the roof. According to the UPI report:

The third film tells the story of the revenge of two killers whose arms and eyes Uma Thurman hacked off in the first stories, and the fourth is said to concern a cycle of reprisals and daughters who avenge their mothers' deaths, Hangzhou-based newspaper City Express quoted Bennett as saying.

I'm tempted to bring back the beloved TarantinoWatch icon for this one, but come on – we all know that this is bullshit. Right? Of course with QT who knows, but I'd rather see him move on to something else rather than retreat to doing sequels. Still, after seeing how the failure of Jackie Brown affected him, who can tell what Grindhouse flopping will do to the ever-stoned auteur?

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Uma Thurman Reveals The Animated Future of 'Kill Bill'
Source: MTV

Two year ago Quentin Tarantino piqued the interest of film fans everywhere when he promised two new anime companion films to "Kill Bill," one supposedly about the origin of The Bride and the other about Bill himself.

We don't know what's happened to the story of The Bride, but the other animated film is going to blow you away, insisted star Uma Thurman.

"His anime stuff is strong," she smiled.

We say we don't know what happened to the story of the Bride, by the way, because Thurman claims to have never recorded a voice-over for the anticipated project.

"It has nothing to do with me," she said. "It has to do with another character. You'll have to see."

That screams Bill to us. But the best part? It looks as if we'll get to "see" real soon, perhaps as part of an expanded DVD release, Thurman teased, indicating that the short will be part of a larger re-release for "Kill Bill."

"Right now he's putting the two films together with an intermission with an added anime sequence he had already written," she said of the ongoing saga of Beatrix Kiddo. "So additional stories are in there, in animation."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Talks 'Kill Bill 3'... But Not For Anytime Soon

Quentin Tarantino isn't quite finished with Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman) -- "Kill Bill"'s vengeful Bride -- just yet, not if an interview he did on Italian TV is to be believed. In the director's own words: "The Bridge will fight again!" There's a catch though: it's not happening anytime soon.

"I gotta wait a couple years because I wanted 10 years to pass," he said, as reported by The Playlist. Tarantino offers two reasons for the 10 year wait, which would see the next "Kill Bill" releasing no earlier than 2014. "One: I think Uma [Thurman] and I needed a 10 year break cause the first one was so hard. And second: I really love the character. And I think she deserves a 10 year release of no fighting and being with her [daughter]."

Of course, anything Tarantino says about potential sequels should always be consumed with a shaker full of salt. The Playlist reminds us of "The Vega Brothers," a "Reservoir Dogs"/"Pulp Fiction" spin-off which would reunite John Travolta's and Michael Madsen's characters. Tarantino has always struck me as a guy who has lots of big ideas, and his naturally chatty personality often leads him to make admissions. And since we on the Internet tend to scrutinize every last word from a guy like him, offhand chatter has a way of snowballing into potent rumor.

And really, when you get right down to it, any of Tarantino's colorful characters bear revisiting. What fan wouldn't want story focused entirely on Harvey Keitel's "Pulp Fiction" cleaner The Wolf or Brad Pitt's "True Romance" stoner Floyd? I think the potential "Bill" sequel that Tarantino mentioned -- and others he's mentioned in the past -- are certainly on his mind, but the nature of the business means that it's not necessarily possible to pull them off.

It's not like "Kill Bill" isn't rife with sequel opportunities. The Bride cuts a fairly wide swath of vengeance as she makes her way to Bill, but there are at least a few survivors. Vernita Green's (Vivica A. Fox) daughter, for one, who it's long been rumored would play a role in any follow-up to "Bill." I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Speaking with MTV, Quentin Tarantino has dropped a few tiny details about "Kill Bill 3."

Namely, the film won't be called that. "It wouldn't be 'Kill Bill,' " Tarantino insisted. "It would be Volume 3 of the story of the Bride."

But don't expect that to be the title either. He still hasn't settled on one. And with good reason. No script is written (obviously). It also won't be the next thing Quentin directs, meaning, he's probably going to work on a screenplay for something else, but he doesn't say what.

"There's no script; there are just ideas and notes," Tarantino said of the Volume 3 film. "I won't do that next, but it could very well be the thing I do after next."

Knowing his leisurely pace, don't expect any 'Kill Bill' film for a good four years on a conservative guess (if not much longer). As Tarantino notes, a third film 10 years after the fact was always the tentative plan, but the director hasn't always made good on his sequel promises so it's understanding why people have been skeptical, but also making noise about this one again (after all, there was no word on any further 'Kill Bill' films for several years there).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Daryl Hannah Hints At Returning For A Third 'Kill Bill'

Quentin Tarantino's World War II fairy tale "Inglourious Basterds" may be among the year's top Academy Award nominees, but his fans are still dying to know what's next. And while that remains something of a mystery, there are some hints floating around on a project that Tarantino told us will come after what's next.

I'm speaking of course about the third "Kill Bill" movie, which will obviously have to be retitled since the titular murder is executed in the second film. Daryl Hannah is one of the series' antagonists, an assassin whom Uma Thurman's appears to take out in "Volume 2." Well she's currently out promoting her new movie, "A Closed Book," and she's spilled a little bit about Tarantino's plans.

"He always meant it as a trilogy," Hannah said in an interview with Film24. We've known as much for awhile now, but Hannah goes a bit further.

In "Volume 2," Hannah and Thurman face off for a sword fight in the close confines of a trailer home. It's a bloody, brutal exchange, one which leaves the eyepatch-wearing Hannah completely blind after Thurman's Bride removes her other eye. What happens next... well... let's just say that many viewers assumed the assassin to have been killed.

This might not be the case however. Hannah correctly points out that we never actually see her demise, only her maiming. And given Tarantino's overwhelming love of film and its history, there's an easy path for him to take should he choose to bring Hannah's character back. "Think about it. There's always been a tradition of blind samurai, and you never actually saw [my character] expire in the other film," she said.

The very fact that Hannah is talking about this at all suggests that it is something more than just a possibility. Sure, she might just be expressing her hopes that Tarantino finds a way to use her again. But this is such a specific reference to something the filmmaker is keenly aware of that it's hard to believe he wasn't the one responsible for planting that seed in Hannah's mind.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 04, 2010, 12:23:57 AM
"He always meant it as a trilogy,"

Sure he did, that's why it was only 1 movie until he started editing it and it became 2.