Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

squints

Quote from: P on October 06, 2010, 11:41:40 AM
if only there was a tarkovsky month, or a bresson month, or whatever.

APRIL is the cruelest month. Maybe it should be in april.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Ghostboy on October 06, 2010, 01:21:27 AM
Ti West's new movie should be out by this time next year. It's going to be awesome.

Speaking of Ti West, has anyone seen Cabin Fever 2? Worth checking out?

modage

Bad.  I actually liked Juno but Megan Fox is not Ellen Page and the dialogue here is just too much.  However, the constant Diablo Cody-isms are the least of the films problems.  As has been mentioned it's not scary, it's also just not that fun.  Which is the one thing it should have been.  Structurally it makes some extremely amateur mistakes, revealing Jennifer to be a black shit puking demon 25 minutes in to Needy, instead of drawing out the mystery a little?  And logically we're never sure what is going on.  Does Jennifer still have feelings?  Is she all demon?  Why does she go to school?  Why do boys need to be aroused for her to eat them?  Etc. etc.  I could have rewritten this movie while I was watching it and improved it by half.  Oh well.

Also: Yay, Halloween!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

From my blog:

Joe Dante started his career making independent films for Roger Corman and by 1980 had turned to the mainstream for a decade of hits: The Howling, Explorers, Innerspace, The 'Burbs and Gremlins.  After two decades of compromises and disappointments in the studio system, Dante has returned to his indie roots with The Hole.  Two brothers and their single mom move to a new house in the 'burbs and find their basement has a hole in it that may or may not contain evil.  (Spoiler: it does.)

The film was actually conceived and shot in 3D (which actually makes a difference), and is full of Dante hallmarks: scary dolls, Dick Miller cameo, etc.  It's the kind of "family horror" movie that doesn't get made anymore.  The film is basically an expanded episode of Are You Afraid Of The Dark, but because it falls between "target audiences", it's probably a little scary for young kids but a little juvenile for teens, the film has yet to find a distributor in the US.  It's a shame that kids today might not get to see it because it hasn't been completely whitewashed of anything objectionable.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

So, I won't give a detailed review of everything I've watched so far since most of it has been really obvious stuff that's been discussed a million times here, but so far:

- Candyman: Said it before: One of my absolute favorites, watch it at least once a year.

- Exorcist: Still holds up, but it's finally stopped creeping me out.

- The New York Ripper: Okay, this is on Netflix Instant and was just a random pick this weekend.  I've read it's Fulci's most gruesome movie.  Gruesome is pretty accurate, but WEIRD is probably the word I'd use.
It's about a serial Killer who goes around new york, quacking like a duck before he kills a (usually naked) woman.  The strange thing is that I don't think the quacking is supposed to be funny.  I think it's supposed to be scary, but it sounds just like Donald Duck gets upset right before you see someone die in an absolutely disgusting way.
The movie also gets confused about who the main character is supposed to be.  We just randomly follow people loosely associated with the killer throughout the movie.
There's lots of nudity, lots of gore, and lots of out-of-sync dubbed voices (Fulci clearly doesn't care if the actor even looks like they could have the voice that's speaking for them).  It's kind of terrible, but also kind of fascinating.

- I Know What You Did Last Summer: I didn't finish it... so boring and dumb.

- The Shining: Nothing needs to be said here (except everything that continues to be said everywhere), simply the best. (though I still want to find the shorter cut)

mogwai

Would you throw "The Thing" into the thriller genre or the horror one? It seems a bit of the both but I'd chose that one to see on Halloween.

socketlevel

I'd say it's horror/sci fi. and yes this should be included on halloween.
the one last hit that spent you...

abuck1220

i watched mike nichols' wolf and it was terrible. i don't really get the point of it.

Stefen

^ haha That's one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater. I was really into werewolves at the time. For Halloween, I would always be a werewolf and it would piss my mother off because I couldn't go trick or treating just rocking a mask. Nope, she had to spend hours gluing hair to my face.

EDIT: I have a pic!

My brother isn't very happy. He hated Halloween, I guess. I loved it, as you can tell. Scary as fuck.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Bethie

you are kidding me.
who likes movies anyway

modage

I had never seen Tremors.  And with 3 sequels and a rabid following (I guess?) I figured I had to check it out.  Basically Jaws in the desert but with 60% more comedy, there are giant worms underground that want to eat people.  Kevin Bacon leads an all-star cast that includes the little girl from Jurassic Park, the dad from Family Ties, Egg Shen from Big Trouble In Little China, Reba McEntire and Fred Ward.  I've seen giant underground worms before in Dune and Beetlejuice, so I'm kinda surprised this movie was as popular as it was.  It's fun but the worms are really not convincing at all.  I would expect better effects from 1990. 

Pubrick

so this year your horror marathon is pretty much a crappy movie marathon.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: P on October 14, 2010, 09:47:12 AM
so this year your horror marathon is pretty much a crappy movie marathon.

Haha, if you look through this thread pretty much every year I see a fair amount of shit.  That's just in search of finding something great that I've never seen.  But to hedge my bets I also rewatch some favorites/classics which balances everything out.  Those are in Best Horror.   :yabbse-grin:

Also: ATTN NYC
Scary Movies 4
October 27 – 31

In its fourth unearthly year, Scary Movies returns with an onslaught of spine-tingling premieres, rarities, and classics. See the world premiere of Village of Shadows with the director Fouad Benhammou in person! Chill to the New York premieres of Jim Mickle's fresh festival favorite Stake Land and Christopher Smith's bubonic-era Black Death. Don't miss two electrifying films from Australia's new wave of genre mavens: James Rabbitts' The Clinic and Sean Byrne's The Loved Ones.

Rare repertory revivals include a double dose of fright from star cameraman Freddie Francis (The Creeping Flesh and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors), as well as the classic multi-tale Dead of Night. And what Halloween would be complete without dear, dear Carrie?

http://filmlinc.com/wrt/onsale/scarymovies.html

Anyone seen/heard anything about any of the new releases here?  I'm thinking about seeing Stake Land and The Loved Ones.

RegularKarate

I loved Tremors when I was a kid, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't hold up if I watched it again.

I think the original appeal was that it was low-budget and came out of nowhere.  That's why the effects weren't great.
The straight-to-video sequel was almost as good as the original... I never saw the third or forth ones.

And P, half the fun is watching crappy movies.

socketlevel

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 14, 2010, 10:30:04 AM
I loved Tremors when I was a kid, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't hold up if I watched it again.

I think the original appeal was that it was budget and came out of nowhere.  That's why the effects weren't great.
The straight-to-video sequel was almost as good as the original... I never saw the third or forth ones.

And P, half the fun is watching crappy movies.

It holds up. It's kind of a perfect movie. Actually the first sequel has all the jokes in it, it just suffers from a poor budget.

I've been talking a lot about these kind of films with my friends recently. the horror/sci-fi/adventure/comedy. These film makers are not given the respect they deserve as it is one of the hardest genres to pull off. It's a fine balance, that could seemingly implode if done too over the top.

other films in this genre that i hold at a high calibre:

Slither
Ghostbusters
Big Trouble in Little China
Evil Dead II
Dawn of the Dead
The Thing
the one last hit that spent you...