Mr. Show

Started by sphinx, April 11, 2003, 05:51:10 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleuth

edit:  shit RK's fast with his edits
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

I don't know what you said, so you must be fast too.

Care to make a wager on who's faster?

EDIT: I WIN!!!

DOUBLE EDIT: SHIT, We didn't bet yet, did we?

Sleuth

I can only respond one way

I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

So, I got my copy of "It's not funny" early.  Last night.  It even came with a sticker signed by David Cross.

It's funny... it's an extended version of the act I saw him do at SXSW, but a lot tighter, really.

My only complaint is that it's more heavily political.  He's good at the political stuff, it's just material that doesn't stay as funny as long.

Overall, it's still really good and funny and he hasn't "lost it" or anything, but it's not as good as "Shut Up you Fucking Baby"

Stefen

i like the political stuff, so thats cool for me. I'll be picking it up on tuesday. shut up you fucking baby was great cause it was more of a rambling as oppose to a written comedy routine. I hope its not funny is the same way.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sally O'Malley

..the 'highlander' was a documentary and the events happend in real time.

MacGuffin

Warner has today announced Mr. Show: The Complete Fourth Season which is the late-night series that pays homage to the sketch-comedy tradition of Monty Python and Saturday Night Live, then launches into it's own eccentric orbit of social deviance and political incorrectness. This new two-disc set will be available to own from the 21st September this year, and should retail at around $34.98. Each of the episodes will be presented in 4:3 along with English Stereo tracks. Extras on the set will include ten audio commentaries with Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, deleted scenes, a music only track and outtakes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I've been watching a lot of the Mr. Show DVDs lately.  I only first saw it this year, so I'm a Johnny Come-lately for this show.  It's damn funny.  Mustmayostardayonnaise had me cracking up.  So damn absurd.

I love how the sketches blend into each other.  There's very little material that doesn't work, and whatever doesn't work doesn't last long anyways.

bonanzataz

i hope most of you have stumbled across this already.

http://www.bobanddavid.com/david.asp?artID=183
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

I finished watching the DVDs (they went by too fast).  What a terrific show.  Brilliant, brilliant writing.  And they show a keen awareness of pop culture staples without merely referencing and parodying them.  Popular music, Cops, movie trailers, infomercials, commercials, political ads, self-aggrandizing award shows, even obscure stuff like John Philip Souza and 1920s music stars.  With the Beatles lookalike sketch, for example, it wasn't just a parody of the Beatles.  It was a satire on their fame in a ridiculous situation.  And because they didn't do sketches about celebrities and pop culture and politics of the day, the episodes don't date easily.

The format of having the sketches lead into one another offers an easy way out of the pressure to end a sketch on a high note and prevents them from going on too long.  Sketches are only as long as they have to be, since there's no pressure to fill time between commercial breaks.  The only recurring characters I could recall were Ronnie Dobbs and the British guy with the beard (in the same sketch).  It was those characters in a very different context and not a rehash of the same jokes.

Even though they referenced Cops, they did so much more than a parody of it, with Ronnie Dobbs becoming a celebrity, who, at the end, literally couldn't get arrested.  The only disappointing reference was the James Lipton sketch, since even SNL and Mad TV have done those, and he's such an easy target.  The dualing Gibbons Market/Fairsley ads was amazing.  They did sort of repeat that concept with the political ads later, but it was quite different, and was still damn funny.

Why was Mr. Show cancelled?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on December 28, 2005, 11:07:13 PM
Why was Mr. Show cancelled?

Because it didn't get good ratings once HBO moved it to Monday nights at Midnight.

MacGuffin

Odenkirk on Mr Show Movie
Source: Moviehole

Second City Comedy Troupe vet Bob Odenkirk talked to Premiere this month about a possible big-screen venture for "Mr Show".

"David [Cross] and I have a written a Mr Show movie", the director of the forthcoming "Let's Go to Prison" says. "That's really my kind of humour, and David and I are good friends and want to work together again. Hopefully, we'll get to make the movie in the fall".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I love how they act as if Run Ronnie Run never existed.