Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

MacGuffin

I was glued to my TV last season. Can't wait to watch the new season premiering tomorrow.

Hollywood patron saints BEN AFFLECK and MATT DAMON are helping to make more aspiring filmmakers' dreams come true. Starting June 22, the second season of the duo's "Project Greenlight" 13-episode documentary series debuts on HBO. This year's competition features separate writing -- ERICA BEENEY -- and directing winners -- the team of EFRAM POTELLE and KYLE RANKIN.

Documenting the entire process of creating a movie, the innovative HBO series takes a revealing, warts-and-all look at the pressures on first-time filmmakers as they navigate the Hollywood process. For the second season, both a writer and directing team were chosen to produce 'The Battle of Shaker Heights,' the story of a young war re-enactor who uses battlefield strategy to confront a high-school enemy.

Originally, Matt and Ben, who won an Academy Award® for writing 'Good Will Hunting,' wanted to help other talented up-and-coming filmmakers scale the industry's walls. The "Project Greenlight" competition was launched in September 2000, and Miramax Films committed $1 million to produce the winning screenplay. More than 10,000 aspiring filmmakers entered the competition on Project Greenlight's website. Then the pool was narrowed down to 250 screenplays, from which one winner was selected.

In the first-ever competition, PETE JONES, a young insurance man from Chicago, got the nod for his entry, 'Stolen Summer.' His low-budget film, which was guaranteed a theatrical release, is set in 1976, and tells the story of an eight-year-old Irish kid who befriends a seven-year-old Jewish boy dying of leukemia. Over the summer, the two try to find a way to get the dying boy into heaven. For Jones, the experience was an opportunity of a lifetime.

"Project Greenlight" premieres Sunday night, June 22 at 10:30 on HBO.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

Did anyone see Stolen Summer?

Cecil

i saw it. its an after school special. so-so

Pas

The plot of the second seem better to me ... at least funnier

MacGuffin

Quote from: BoothThe plot of the second seem better to me ... at least funnier

But doesn't it sound like the "Bart The General" episode from The Simpsons? :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

cowboykurtis

macguffin -- is your avatar from THEY LIVE?
...your excuses are your own...

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
Originally, Matt and Ben, who won an Academy Award® for writing 'Good Will Hunting,'

Im so tired of hearing this

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtismacguffin -- is your avatar from THEY LIVE?

Damn right!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Is that true ? He didn't even mention it in the Actor's Studio...humm

Gold Trumpet

I think I may watch this season just because it is valuable watching on just seeing a movie being made. The movie from the first season was terrible though. I couldn't even finish watching it because the obviousness of everything was making my gums bleed. It was just a run through of everything I've seen with no pleasure involved.

~rougerum

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cowboykurtismacguffin -- is your avatar from THEY LIVE?

Damn right!

who was that pro wrestler in that? Rowdy Rowdy Piper, i think -- i have to get me some of those glasses.
...your excuses are your own...

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffinI was glued to my TV last season. Can't wait to watch the new season premiering tomorrow.

me too! it's a wonderful, inspiring show for anybody who wants to make movies.

But I would personally never send my script into project greenlight. would anybody else not feel like it was right if this was the way you got your movie made? d'y'know what I mean?

EL__SCORCHO

When I watched stolen summer i was going crazy everytime the kid said "gotta finish the decatholon to get to heaven" over and over and over again. Man, I just wanted to smack that lil kid, "shut up already! I get it!"

Cecil

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOWhen I watched stolen summer i was going crazy everytime the kid said "gotta finish the decatholon to get to heaven" over and over and over again. Man, I just wanted to smack that lil kid, "shut up already! I get it!"

did you laugh when they "went handheld" during the scene with the fire?