Homeland

Started by Kal, October 01, 2012, 11:21:49 AM

Kal

FINALE SPOILERS

It was pretty great. It was obvious something fucked up had to happen, but they executed it in an amazing way.

As always, one of the greatest parts of the episode and storilines was Saul. He is now the big man. The boss. His wife is coming home. Carrie is alive. When everything else went to shit, Saul is the big winner here.

But what's next? Seeing that video on TV and how quickly everything points at Brody makes it almost 100% certain he had nothing to do with it. Or did he?

I watched the first season the week before the second one started, so I've been on a Homeland high for 4 months. It will be shitty to wait 9 months.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

SPOILERS

Since Saul and Carrie know that the video was created for the terrorist plot that did not get executed, do you think they'll be able to clear Brody's name?
Anyways. I think this was a very good season, and the whole conversation Carrie and Abu Nazir had about fighting for their beliefs was a bit on the nose, yet plays into the bigger idea that even with the "big bad" gone, the war's not going to stop.
While this season wasn't always a psychological chess game like the last one, I still always found it to be thought-provoking and suspenseful in more emotional ways.

Fernando

Season 3 Trailer

There's very little dialogue but I think it shows too much.

Kal

I really hope its awesome. Can't wait.

©brad

Anyone watching this fucking show?

I'm sticking with it but man, Claire Danes's performance is self-parody at this point. She has a freakout every millisecond. I can't take a whole season of this. Didn't she just stabilize at the end of last season and start kicking ass, only to revert back to crazy Carrie?

The Brody family is booooooring. The mom joins her son Chris as one of the most useless characters on TV. Dana is still an asshole. Her sex scene in the laundry room with all those sheets billowing out of the dryer felt like a bad music video.

These writers continue to show they can pull a good punch here and there but there's so much fuckery that comes along with it. I think I'm going to start watching the Americans soon.

polkablues

I think I gave up on this show at the end of last season without even realizing I had done so. I still basically liked it, but I've had zero desire to start watching the new season since it started up. They've hit their season six of Dexter in only their third season. That's efficiency.

The Americans is overall really good. It might make it to season four before I give up on it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Remember when this show beat "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" at the Emmys? #neverforget
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

The second episode just felt like a bad soap opera. Nothing happened at all.

Brody's family is useless and the storyline with Dana and the psycho from Dexter who also plays a psycho here is just boring and stupid and has nothing to do with any of the interesting topics they used to focus on.

Saul's whole attitude just makes no sense. Is he an asshole or is he not? Does he have a plan? His fucking expression never changes.

Carrie is just ridiculous. She can't even explain anything because she is nuts. If she can't even explain things then she would be taking her meds.

©brad

Interesting episode. Not sure it fully worked but I liked the Brody section.

I really don't understand why the writers decided to commit Carrie. Last season ended with Sal being so relieved she survived, and now they're at war and Carrie's back to being crazy. I don't see how she could ever work for the CIA again at this point.

cine

so glad i stopped watching this show after season 1.

Drenk

You miss good things. The Q&A episode in season 2 is great. And season 3 has a very good beginning.
Ascension.

Kal

The only conclussion other than this show has jumped the shark is that Breaking Bad ruined everything for me. The writing is always bad compared to it.

cine

Quote from: Kal on October 15, 2013, 11:45:52 PM
The only conclussion other than this show has jumped the shark is that Breaking Bad ruined everything for me. The writing is always bad compared to it.

but yeah, the show jumped the shark during season 1 when its writers kept going "ahhhh tricked ya! ok but seriously..... NOPE! tricked ya again! where are we going with this show? do you know? we know. do we though? ahhh tricked ya!"

when the season finale was over, i was out.

Drenk

I read "useless" a lot about Homeland. But I couldn't explain what happened with the terrorists or whatever, and I never cared about it. Yeah, it became a soap opera. Six Feet Under is a soap opera too. I enjoy this season because the characters are ruined. And I like these characters. I want to see how they react, how they live after everything. How there is no hope for them. Or if there is? well, I want to see it. Homeland is in a corner right now. Carrie and Brody could kill themselves; they're trapped, have nothing to do, and their distress touch me. I'm curious to watch the next episode...they could have ended the show with the last episode, The Tower of David.

Anyway, Homeland is not Dexter. It's good. It's not a joke.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

They are obviously milking Carrie's mental illness now. It was one of the most interesting parts of Season 2, and an ideal vehicle for Claire Daines to shine, but now it feels like it's that thing they have lying around when they're not sure how else to create drama.

Some other major problems right now. Employment drama is tiresome, and it's arguably been a weak point of the series all along. (Will Carrie lose her job? Will Carrie get her job back?) Psych ward drama is even more tiresome, and they should frankly be ashamed of themselves as storytellers... they need to get her out of there and never speak of that again.