The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pubrick

obviously.

i mean only that the IMPRESSION someone can get is that they've been exposed to a classic film so much in soundbites and cliched rip-offs that it's easy to lose interest in bothering to see the original thing. NOT that the film will suck just cos it's been copied. this isn't even a very controversial statement to make, it's the same with really popular books that no one has actually read.

no need to lose your shit over it or anything. it's not like i said i havn't seen STAR WARS.. i mean really, that loosens my bowels!
under the paving stones.

Captain of Industry

New Feeling:  As I've stated elsewhere, foreign and obscure don't mean the same thing to me, not at all.  You haven't seen some really important and major world films and to me that's as embarrassing as Pas Rap not having seen Pulp Fiction.  Why wouldn't it be?

But I see now you were just playing around in your own way.

New Feeling

Yeah sorry P I guess I really lost my shit there.  We all know you'd never do a thing like that.  

you did say "it won't be that great", what am I supposed to understand by that?  I'm pretty sure you just made a totally different point in your two posts and are trying to pass them off as the same.  Pretty weak.  Also most really popular classic book that "no one" has read are pretty fucking good in my experience.  I guess I'm just a guy who's interested in the things that everyone is supposed to know about for some crazy reason, like I don't know, because that means it's probably good and I like good stuff.    

Also, It's A Wonderful Life is the greatest.  Do yourself a favour and check it out Pas.  No amount of foreknowledge could spoil the many pleasures of that movie.  

Now in honor of this thread I'm going to try to settle in for my first 5-movie-day in a long ass time.  All of which will be new to me.  Wish me luck fellas.

Fernando

I'm going to beat all of you.

I've never seen in its entirety 2001: ASO. part yeah but never the complete film, why you ask? I refuse to see it on the small screen, I want to see it on the big screen.

Never seen the following:

- anything by Kurosawa
- Hard 8
- anything by John Ford
- anything by Godard
(boredard), actually started to watch alphaville, contempt and breathless and all those three times fell asleep.
- also fell asleep with wild strawberries. but this one I want to see it eventually.

like pas i have way more.

oh, also never seen anything by  :shock:

©brad

Quote from: P on April 28, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
no need to lose your shit over it or anything. it's not like i said i havn't seen STAR WARS.. i mean really, that loosens my bowels!

Haha no wonder I think TV is better than film!

But honestly I'd argue not seeing Godfather is worse. Actually, turning Boogie Nights off half-way through might be the worstest.

Captain of Industry

I would definitely recommend Godfather to someone before Star Wars or Boogie Nights, and Boogie Nights before Star Wars.

I think that one's unusual (Star Wars) because of how ubiquitous it is, not because of the quality of the fillm.  Though I'm not much of a Star Wars guy.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Fernando on April 28, 2010, 03:52:59 PM
- anything by Godard (boredard), actually started to watch alphaville, contempt and breathless and all those three times fell asleep.

this makes me cry (just a little). Please try Vivre sa vie, Bande à part or even Une Femme est une femme. Please!!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

New Feeling

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 03:45:56 PM
New Feeling:  As I've stated elsewhere, foreign and obscure don't mean the same thing to me, not at all.  You haven't seen some really important and major world films and to me that's as embarrassing as Pas Rap not having seen Pulp Fiction.  Why wouldn't it be?

In most of the world non-hollywood equals obscure, even in the film's native countries.  And the films I listed, while extremely well regarded, are not films that people necessarily expect others to have seen.  I thought that was the context of this thread.  

And as I've tried to explain I think the only thing embarrassing about any of this stuff is listing something that a lot of people love and acting like you don't care if you see it.  I'm sure those films I mentioned are all amazing so I don't know what your problem is.    

It's like, I can't wait to see the last 5 or 6 fassbinder films I need to catch up with but I just don't think they fit into the context of this thread.  Dig?  Star Wars and Casablanca are good examples, Ordet and Ugetsu not so much.  

Pubrick

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 03:50:03 PM
Yeah sorry P I guess I really lost my shit there.  We all know you'd never do a thing like that.  

you look like a psycho right now cos it's obvious my last sentence was a joke. see cbrad's post above, he's not a nutcase so he got that it was a joke, like mostly everything else posted here. except for your party pooping, of course.

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 03:50:03 PM
you did say "it won't be that great", what am I supposed to understand by that?  I'm pretty sure you just made a totally different point in your two posts and are trying to pass them off as the same.  Pretty weak.  Also most really popular classic book that "no one" has read are pretty fucking good in my experience.  I guess I'm just a guy who's interested in the things that everyone is supposed to know about for some crazy reason, like I don't know, because that means it's probably good and I like good stuff.

nah man, you've totally missed my point, along with the point of this whole thread. so yeah go along now and watch your films maybe wack off a little, i dunno, kill a kitten, whatever it is that gives you joy.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

a true classic will put the sound bites to shame with context and it won't feel like a running joke or derivative scene.

i think stefen's comment was such a shame cuz even though you know what it's about, you still don't know the way it was told. the pacing and cadence and characters and sets all have just as much weight as the plot or director. you know you could read the Cole's notes (cliffs notes or w/e it's called in the states) of a classic and know all that happens... but come on, it's not reading/enjoying/being in awe of the work.

and you should see Gandhi. it really is a solid film.
the one last hit that spent you...

Alexandro

Quote from: Fernando on April 28, 2010, 03:52:59 PM
I'm going to beat all of you.

I've never seen in its entirety 2001: ASO. part yeah but never the complete film, why you ask? I refuse to see it on the small screen, I want to see it on the big screen.

Never seen the following:

- anything by Kurosawa
- Hard 8
- anything by John Ford
- anything by Godard (boredard), actually started to watch alphaville, contempt and breathless and all those three times fell asleep.
- also fell asleep with wild strawberries. but this one I want to see it eventually.

like pas i have way more.

oh, also never seen anything by  :shock:

I want to organize soon a 2001 showing in the medium sized screen of the store where I work at...blu ray, it will look and sound awesome. You are invited if you like...that's the best you will find in this country regarding watching 2001 on the big screen.

Godard has always bored me too. I've seen Breathless, Contempt, Une femme est un femme, and a bunch of others, and it seems there's something about his stuff that rubs me the wrong way.

New Feeling

sorry I'm not a joker just a sincere guy.  And no I don't see the joke in Captain telling me to keep walking or you comedically suggesting that I was losing my shit.  I'm just talking here.  

Captain of Industry

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 04:01:41 PM
Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 03:45:56 PM

In most of the world non-hollywood equals obscure, even in the film's native countries.  And the films I listed, while extremely well regarded, are not films that people necessarily expect others to have seen.  I thought that was the context of this thread.  

And as I've tried to explain I think the only thing embarrassing about any of this stuff is listing something that a lot of people love and acting like you don't care if you see it.  I'm sure those films I mentioned are all amazing so I don't know what your problem is.    

It's like, I can't wait to see the last 5 or 6 fassbinder films I need to catch up with but I just don't think they fit into the context of this thread.  Dig?  Star Wars and Casablanca are good examples, Ordet and Ugetsu not so much.  

If you're saying the parameters of this thread are elastic, I agree.  If you're saying anyone is expected to have seen even a single movie, I disagree.  And since no one really has to see any movie to become a better person, to me it's about the weight of the films, as the Star Wars/Godfather conversation is in the midst of discussing.  Ordet and Ugestu are fundamental movies, and the absence of them from your experience is comparable to the absence of Pulp Fiction or any other milestone movie.  Other people are listing foreign films in this thread.  The context of this thread is films you think you should have seen but haven't.  Your omissions are as embarrassing as anyone else's.

New Feeling

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 04:10:09 PM

Godard has always bored me too. I've seen Breathless, Contempt, Une femme est un femme, and a bunch of others, and it seems there's something about his stuff that rubs me the wrong way.

highly recommend checking out Weekend if you haven't.  and of course Vivre sa Vie.  They seem like the two best entry points for Godard to me.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM
sorry I'm not a joker just a sincere guy.  And no I don't see the joke in Captain telling me to keep walking or you comedically suggesting that I was losing my shit.  I'm just talking here.  

Well see it's your sincerity that's offensive.  You really think people should feel shame, but that isn't actually the purpose of the thread.