Matt Groening

Started by cron, December 26, 2003, 10:29:58 AM

godardian

Quote from: freakerdudeAren't Trek-ies considered cultists of a sort? Personally, I am a huge Simpson's fan and am glad to be able to watch reruns in Atlanta every weekday.

Three times a day here in Seattle.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pas RapportFamily Guy is WAY funnier than the Simpsons

I don't know about funnier... more profound.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianThree times a day here in Seattle.
3hrs in the morning, 2hrs at nite.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI don't know about funnier... more profound.
of course, the current seasons of the simpsons are crap in terms of substance and meaning. i think everyone who is in love with Family Guy, only feels that way because they were too late to catch the simpsons in their prime. a fairer comparison for current animation would be Futurama, i speak as someone who has seen all the cartoons in question and does not resent the 90s.. i challenge u to find me a family guy episode that is as profound as (futurama episodes) Godfellas, Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, The Sting, and the series conclusion The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. in just those 5 episodes futurama packed more urgent unviersal content than family guy has in its several forgettable seasons. and i don't even need to mention Last Exit to Springfield (if u want political relevance), Bart Sells His Soul  and The Mysterious Voyage of Homer (for spiritual guidance).. i can go on.

family guy fans are consitstently less informed on their "rival" shows, and a bit late on the knowledge train, quite frankly.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pfamily guy fans are consitstently less informed on their "rival" shows, and a bit late on the knowledge train, quite frankly.

Guilty as charged.

RegularKarate

Yeah, anyone who says Family Guy is better  than the Simpsons doesn't know what they're talking about.

If Family guy would have lasted half as long as the Simpsons, it would have become more un-funny faster than the Simpsons got brilliant.

Some Family Guys are better than some latter Simpsons, but no way FG could come close to being as good as the worst episode of the Simpsons during it's prime.

If you have the Songs In The Key of Springfield CD , i suggest  you put it on your CD player and remember why The Simpsons are The Simpsons.
so many great moments,
context, context, context.

Ravi

Family Guy is a different animal from The Simpsons, which is a different animal from Futurama.  Three different types of shows.  FG is gag based and weak on plot.  The Simpsons in its heyday was a skewed look at suburbia and society, but was a brilliant mix of intelligent humor and zaniness.  Futurama is a completely fictional universe with fantasy and sci-fi elements.  While I find that FG misses the mark more than the other two, I still watch it.

©brad

Duck Sauce

I compare this situation to Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant..... They both have very similar structures and playing styles, only Kobe Bryant (Family Guy) is for a newer generation, took a lot from MJ (The Simpsons) and isnt quite as good.

Quote from: Duck SauceI compare this situation to Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant..... They both have very similar structures and playing styles, only Kobe Bryant (Family Guy) is for a newer generation, took a lot from MJ (The Simpsons) and isnt quite as good.

so many joke possibilities!!
context, context, context.

puddnanners

I agree that Family Guy is weak on plot when compared to classic Simpsons...for the most part.   The two most dynamic characters on FG were obviously Brian and Stewie, and i honestly think that they could have become as great as Homer with time.  Most episodes that deal primarily with either of those two characters (particularly the "road to..." episodes) stack up well with the most classic of Simpsons eps.

phil marlowe

i would just like to say that king of the hill is way underrated

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaviFG is gag based and weak on plot.
That's why I like it.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: phlmrlwei would just like to say that king of the hill is way underrated
Totally agree.  I've gotten into it via syndication (and the fact that it came on inbetween Simpsons eps, and I was too lazy to change the channel).  There are plenty of amazing episdodes, but the Bobby-centric ones (falling in love with the mannequin head, dog dancing, etc.) reach a sublime level of humor that few shows on TV can match.  

Also, it does keep true to the family-satire/contained-plot that the Simpsons folks have ditched years ago.  And it works.

ono

I would just like to say that Hank Hill is the most annoying cartoon character ever created and I really can't stand that show except for Bobby and Kahn Jr., sometimes.

And when you compare two shows, you really do compare apples and oranges.  I think The Simpsons probably is the best show ever on average, but people forget that because of its weak, weak episodes over the past few years.  I don't get to watch it that much, but I did see an episode a couple weeks ago that had me rolling.  The one where Artie offers Marge and Homer $1 million for a night with Marge, and Homer needs surgery for his snoring.

Anyway, at the same time, people really do need to give credit where it's due to newer cartoons.  The problem with my favorite one, The Critic, is it has such a niche audience that no one gets the jokes.  And for me, every time I watch it or learn something new about film, I get a new joke and it makes the show even funnier.  Example: I just learned that the skin disease Michael Jackson claims to have is called Vitiligo.  Jay, in an interview with Geraldo claims he has a disease where patches of fat spring up and he has to eat fatty snack foods to even them out.  He calls it Vitilardo.  Just another little thing about the show you can easily miss if you're not paying attention.  Another one of those things that make this show a gem.  The Critic never had a chance, but for movie buffs, it is gold.

South Park has had its ups and downs, and it's been its most astute when making a social commentary while concentrating on the story.  Recently, it's failed at doing that and going so far as to lampoon whatever's going on in the media directly.  It's lost its humor, resulting in the show becoming tired and repetitive.  When it's on, though, there's nothing like it.

King of the Hill is just sad, though.  Hank is an obnoxious character, which is one strike against it, and it doesn't help matters that the smartest character on the show is probably Bobby or Kahn Jr.  Everyone else has some kind of mental malfunction.  It does have a few shining moments that make it worth watching sometimes, but unfortunately I can't think of them.

Family Guy was simply a victim of Fox's rearranging its schedule.  It is truly a brilliant show with sight gags and political commentary on par with The Simpsons.  I don't see it being weak on plot, either, and it has a town that can grow as the Simpson's did, making it ripe with material.  One problem it has is sometimes it didn't use its supporting characters enough (Meg and Chris), but that can change as the show finds its way.  That still can happen, too, if the rumors about new shows coming to TV or DVD comes true.

Futurama, too, was a victim of the schedule shuffle, and an audience that didn't know what to expect, especially when this show was plugged as something from the creator of The Simpsons.  But it, just like The Simpsons is a scathing social commentary.  There is one episode, the premise and title of which completely blows my mind, that serves as a prime example of that.  It's somewhere in season two or three, but I know that doesn't narrow it down too much.  Might be the one with Lela's search for her parents.  I do remember the one with Santa Clause was a gem, too.