Pleading Writer In Self-Imposed Xixax Exile Needs Your Help

Started by Crash, January 25, 2006, 09:00:41 AM

Crash

After having abstained from Xixax for undisclosed reasons, (none) I have ended my year and a half hiatus and have returned to my weblog community. I'm the guy who would always talk about his buddy Jonny. I really doubt anyone remembers but it doesn't matter.

Now down to business...

- I wrote a stage play over the course of 3 days about a man who wakes up with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist. I'm planning on writing it into a short film (short films offer the best medium for my short attention span when it comes to projects). I wrote it really fast and haven't really worked out a lot of the bugs yet but I would really love for someone to read it. Unfortunately, I wrote myself into it and I feel like such a lubricated apple for it because I feel like I'm copying Adaptation (which I'm really not but how am I gonna make anyone believe that?) so please don't judge me and tell me that I'm worthless and silly and ugly too. Plus I think it has a lot to do with human existence and blah blah blah, I'm no philosopher.

- I just finished a short 10 page script called Child of Mine and I'm scared that it feels like I'm trying to push to some deep emotional level of something that is played out. It is the saddest thing I've written but that's just me. A surprise ending isn't much of a surprise anymore if every movie has them.

- I put a project on break about two boys boys who run an upper social class deviant ring. It kind of felt too Rushmore for me. I hate that I find myself writing someone else's movie into my script. It of course has a girl in it and someone of course falls in love. You know the formula, this is total shambles. I suppose I would just like some advice... I don't even know what kind...

I would be interested in critiquing or coaching from anyone on any of these scripts, I would be grateful.
Be as harsh as you want. Hurt me. Please.

E-mail me if you would like a copy. 
midwest_cutback@yahoo.com

I haven't been on here in so long I don't know if maybe the "code of conduct" has changed or if people still do this so I could be making a fool of myself. I really like all the people here (or..from a year ago I suppose) so I would appreciate your input.
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

squints

Quote from: Crash on January 25, 2006, 09:00:41 AM
and I feel like such a lubricated apple for it

i probably can't offer too good of advice for your script but this line made me literally laugh out loud
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Crash

md

imsdb.com really would be the best help.  baking cookies works well too.  devote attention and dedication and the words shall come
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

soixante

You are thinking about what will go wrong, rather than what might go right.

Who cares if something is similar to Adaptation and Rushmore?  Many artists just starting out put their influences into their work, don't let such qualms keep you from shooting.  I would recommend shooting your scripts, and worry about analyzing them later. 

In addition, even if the films don't turn out well, you will learn a great deal by making them.

Music is your best entertainment value.

Crash