Sunrise DVD?

Started by tpfkabi, August 05, 2003, 08:01:18 PM

tpfkabi

did anyone do that thing where you had to buy 3 or 4 titles and you would get Sunrise for free?

looking around i saw that it was going to be released as part of a 4 DVD set in October.

just wondering if anyone had info, specs, comments on it
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

SUNRISE DVD SPECS

Full-Screen (1.20:1)
Original Movietone Score (Mono)
Alternate Olympic Chamber Orchestra Score (Stereo)
French Subtitles
Spanish Subtitles
Audio Commentary by ASC Cinematographer John Bailey
Outtakes With Commentary by John Bailey
Outtakes With Text Cards
Original Scenario by Carl Mayer With Annotations by Murnau
Theatrical Trailer
Still Gallery
"Sunrise" Sceenplay
Restoration Notes
Murnau's Lost Film "Four Devils"
"Four Devils" Treatment
"Four Devils" Sceenplay

:cry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

yea... i did it (bought All About Eve, How Green Was My Valley, and The Day the Earth Stood Still)

One of my favorite dvds... my favorite film of all time.  The dvd is one of my most prized possessions (i have about 130).  The film became my favorite upon first viewing... commentary is excellent.  Great picture and sound (the movie has a movietone track) given the film's age.  Great, informative, and interesting features.

tpfkabi

Quote from: themodernage02SUNRISE DVD SPECS

:cry:

does this mean you wish you had it?

i don't guess they have any plans to release it on it's own?
i wonder why they're doing this?

i got to see a vhs copy at my univ's library. some of the compositions really amazed me. i'd prob. definately buy it if it was on it's own

Camel Lights

Quote from: bigideasi don't guess they have any plans to release it on it's own?
i wonder why they're doing this?

You are  not alone

Ravi

I rented the DVD a few months ago and I was surprised that Fox would put so much effort into a disc and only have it available as a freebie after buying 3 other titles.  But the Studio Classics DVDs can be had for as little as $12-14 dollars, so you don't have to spend much money.  Plus there are some good titles there.  Even if you don't like them, there's always eBay.

Since Murnau's "4 Devils" is lost, they included a 40 minute reconstruction with narration and photos.  I didn't watch the whole thing, but it is still a very nice addition.

Ravi

cine

Ok so I'm in Canada and I'm getting incredibly impatient for Sunrise now. So I was thinking of going and buying the Day the Earth Stood Still, How Green Was My Valley, and either All About Eve or Anastasia (I have AAE on Vhs and don't know its dvd extras)..

So how does this work anyhow?  I pay for shipping, I presume.. and when does my baby come home to me?

modage

great.  i just got my dvds in the mail today and i put in sunrise to see what the transfer looks like.  after some sputtering i get "this disc is incompatible with this player.  please insert a compatible disc".  clearly i'm cursed.  the other discs in the set work, only the rare limited edition one wont play.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

did you do the 4 for 3 deal?
i was hoping that the deal would be a limited time thing and that eventually i could just buy Sunrise.

modage

Quote from: Ravihttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AINLS/qid=1061235207/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/103-9214573-6403868

All About Eve/Gentleman's Agreement/How Green Was My Valley/Sunrise 4-pack for $37.49
no, i got this boxset but i got it at deepdiscount for about 25$.