The Green Hornet

Started by Banky, February 18, 2004, 12:39:28 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on April 23, 2010, 04:01:52 PM
Isn't it impossible to see 3D without the glassses? Won't it always be impossible unless we get new eye balls?

They can actually do glasses-less 3D, but it really only works on small screens with one person looking at them.  Essentially, the screen aims the two images at each individual eye to create the 3D effect, which means that it has to be at a very specific angle to the viewer for it to look right, which pretty much rules out the possibility of it being applicable to theater screens or even TVs.  Nintendo's upcoming version of the DS is going to be like that, and it's going to be showing up on a lot of smartphones in the near future.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on April 23, 2010, 04:01:52 PM
Isn't it impossible to see 3D without the glassses? Won't it always be impossible unless we get new eye balls?

No, it's just how the technology has to be for now. James Cameron says the next step for 3D is that it will be so normalized it will be how things are just projected to us visually, from films to TV. It's like taking steps to seeing things the way they do in Minority Report where visuals are leaping out everywhere. Of course, it won't get that nuanced right away, but it will be everywhere in the same fashion. Even though the movie is overrated, Spielberg did well in basing everything on things that were actually possible within the next hundred years. It's rare since a lot of times science fiction movies are more fantasy.

MacGuffin

3D is just the studios' way of diverting you from noticing their poor scripts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Robyn

I'm turning gay because of Seth. :shock: Can't wait.

Ghostboy

Wow. The trailer makes this look as bad as...well, in terms of comparable comic book movies based on little known characters, as bad as Jonah Hex. Or maybe worse.

polkablues

Trailer here, by the way.

And yeah, I wasn't prepared for how generic this movie looks.  Except for a couple little visual flourishes, I really don't see Gondry in this at all.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

no offence if he's like the robert deniro of asia or whatever, but the dude playing kato sounds like he's gonna give the WORST performance of the year. even by comic book film standards.. poooooooooeey!

he talks like dixon. he delivers his lines like he's reading them off cue cards spelled phonetically. like he's never said an english word in his life and he's just reading the sounds. i'm not even saying it's his fault, gondry showed with be kind rewind that he's absolutely useless when it comes to noticing his actors are stinking up the joint. he couldn't tell that movie was a right old piece of embarrassing shit? so when an actor is barely doing anything more than reading out dialogue like a robot (which thank god he didn't write this time) it's hardly a surprise that he has NO idea something is awry.

poor gondry. leave your ears at the door and this movie might be alrite. that's if you don't mind if he recycles all his music video tricks again.. and judging by the shot where the dude kicks some bad guy across a car and you see a visual trail of the car under him, he's not against doing that. (refer to his video for the chemical bros' Let Forever Be)
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

I'm going to assume that trailer is just the studio going nuts trying to make it SEEM like Pineapple Express meets Iron Man.  It's so bad.

I would be just fine with a bigger (for Gondry) budget hero movie that uses all of Gondry's old tricks.  Seeing them used in that way would be fun... I just hope it's not all this boring matrix shit the trailer seems to show.

Where's that trick he was talkin' about.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 22, 2010, 10:38:07 AM
Where's that trick he was talkin' about.

for reference (since i think most ppl didn't read that interview) RK is talkin bout this tidbit from the Thorn in the Heart thread:

Quote from: P on May 06, 2010, 06:28:16 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on May 06, 2010, 11:23:43 AM
Q: What do you feel 3D offers you as a filmmaker?
Gondry: ... There's one thing that has never been done and I can't wait to do. That can only be done in 3D. I'm really excited to know that the studio is going for it. ...

damn you gondry! he's so hard to understand sometimes. does he mean that this innovation in 3D is going to be in Green Hornet or that he's excited that studios in general are going for 3D so that he'll hav the chance to use this mysterious amazing original idea at some point in the future?

i won't even begin to guess what this thing is that has never been done on 3D that has only ever occurred to him cos he's such a goddamn genius. which he is!

time to speculate as to what this cool trick that has never been done before could be.

for starters, we can probably cross off "having a genuinely good performance in a 3D movie."
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: P on June 22, 2010, 10:59:33 AM
time to speculate as to what this cool trick that has never been done before could be.
Judging by what we've seen here, my guess would be what you referenced as being leftover's from his better music videos:

Quote from: P on June 22, 2010, 02:51:50 AM
and judging by the shot where the dude kicks some bad guy across a car and you see a visual trail of the car under him, he's not against doing that. (refer to his video for the chemical bros' Let Forever Be)

It may come off as a rehash now, but hopefully once witnessed in theaters and in 3D, these points will come off as, at least, a bit more visually interesting (my guess would be that the idea is to "stretch out space" three dimensionally). *fingers crossed*

but altogether, I'm not terrible excited by this trailer; i'm afraid it's a trend begun by Be Kind, where we're left with very little Gondry, but i hope this is all just misleading and something more promising will come our way.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

©brad

Officially superhero'd the fuck out.

pete

jay chou is a taiwanese pop superstar who's conquered asia with really bad hiphop.  he can be funny but for the most part he's marketed as a hearthrob.  he's a smart business guy - produces and writes and directs frequently and has a strong little label.  but his stuff just isn't very good or interesting.  he's definitely no stephen chow.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I went to a panel on 3D filmmaking today, which was a condensed version of a workshop that Sony offers to DGA members.  It was very interesting and definitely showed that it's possible to capture a whole different kind of beauty with 3D.  It was quite technical, and the main focus what filmmakers need to keep in mind while making a 3D film.  I don't know if I'd ever like to make a 3D film, but going to this did make me excited to see how good 3D will be 5 years from now, especially as directors start thinking about and experimenting with how to use 3D.

Anyway, they showed a clip from The Green Hornet, and it actually looks pretty awesome.  It was a fight scene (the one where Kato kicks a guy over the car and space stretches), which was creatively choreographed and funny, and the 3D did add to the fun.  The conversion (since it was shot in 2D) was pretty good.  I haven't seen any other movies that were converted from 2D, but it works just fine here.  It's basically added depth without looking like a pop-up book.  It's definitely Gondry having a lot of fun, so I was happy to see it.  I couldn't tell if anything else about it would be good, but we'll definitely be seeing Gondry trying some fun stuff.