Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

JG

Quote from: Gamblour. on March 04, 2010, 01:33:59 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on March 03, 2010, 12:39:57 PM
I think the alternate realities are REALLY what's going to happen once everything on the island is finalized.  We are getting to see the ending or epilogue during the last chapter.

That's interesting. And as I'm sitting here, I think you might be right. BUT part of me thinks that this choice Evil Locke offered Sayid, to which Sayid agreed but in doing so killed Dogan and Lennon, is what we're seeing, this alternate reality. But it's too Satan-like in its temptation. There's no catch, that's what bugs me. So yeah, your answer tackles the question that's staring us in the face, but I haven't been thinking about too much: what is the flash-sideways time line really all about? And the more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

not that i necessarily believe in my "theory" above (i don't), but the reason why i don't buy this is that its basically a rehash of the flash-forward twist.

RegularKarate

Why would that be a twist though?  It would just be something we figure out.

and were you talking about something Lost did or did you just completely spoil a show I haven't seen yet?

Gamblour.

You're right, it's wrong to assume too heavily at this point that Jacob or Nemesis/Locke are evil or good completely. Think about what Jacob does: he comes to people at points in their lives to offer them a chance to start over (which is exactly how Dogan phrases it, essentially). But we are learning that the purpose was for one of them to assume Jacob's role so he can leave, and in the process of this countless people have died and others' lives have been ruined more thoroughly than they were off the island.

The Nemesis, despite wanting to kill Jacob, has nothing against the islanders, except the ones that refuse to quit obeying Jacob. He did seem to be very Satan-tempting them, but maybe it's just supposed to appear that way for now, and he really is trying to save the people who will listen.

I think the point is it's all very confusing and why bother guessing  :bravo:
WWPTAD?

©brad

Damnit. They finally were able to build some solid momentum at the end of last week only to bring everything to a screeching halt with tonight's snoozefest of an episode. For the love of fuck we only have 9 episodes left people, we don't have time for this filler crap. Everything this episode "set-up" could have been done in the cold open, easily. They better start amping shit up, quick-like.

RegularKarate

Aw...you're so cute when you're angry.

This was a good episode.  It was great to see Ben's story back home, seeing Alex and getting to assume Rousseau and Robert are alright, finding out he DID go to the island, but just came back.

And of course, FakeLocke's attempt to get Ben to come with him and Jack's realization about Jacob's touch.

All good stuff.

People get so mad when shit doesn't blow up lately.  The tone of the Island happenings has to match the tone of the off Island (not?)happenings.

©brad

Man I've been very ranty lately. I need to calm down and quit it with these knee-jerk reaction posts. I am so that guy on the board lately.

Anyway after letting the episode gestate and reading a few good reviews I'm liking it more. I did enjoy that scene with Jack lighting the dynamite. Slate had a funny bit about how that was a metaphor for the Lost audience - the answers will come "when the time is right."

Gamblour.

I thought last night's episode was fucking great, up in my top ten or twenty for sure. Ben's flash sideways was really great and some fucking brilliant writing.

But let's talk about something: they're fucking immortal???? Or at least they can't kill themselves until they've served their purpose? Remember, Michael couldn't shoot himself or drive into the bay or anything, but when he stayed behind on the boat to freeze the bomb, Christian showed up to let him know he's done and he could go now. (So Jacob touched Michael at some unseen point) And would Locke have died if not for Jacob touching him after falling out of the window? Probably. This is one of the biggest insights we've had on the show.

So if Rousseau had Alex, that means they never got stranded on the island. I'd love to see sane, happy Rousseau.

And RK, I think your theory is 100% right at this point. It's the only conclusion.
WWPTAD?

Kal

Quote from: Gamblour. on March 10, 2010, 02:36:52 PM
I'd love to see sane, happy Rousseau.

I read a while back how the producers couldn't get Rousseau back this seasons cause she had other commitments. I assume it was for this episode so that sucks. It would have been great to see her.

Bethie

I'm all caught up, and now know as much as all of you....nothing.

the ben/alex as a student/teacher relationship. i sensed a sort of sexual tension.

something i dislike this season is the lack of strong characters. im angry that ben (used to be the scariest asshole ever!) is a whiner now and richard runs away like a scared boy. I feel like nothing used to bother them, nothing could hurt them, they remained intimidating no matter what. now I'm only supposed to be afraid of the locke smoke monster. give me back asshole ben.
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Jacob tells Hugo in the "Lighthouse" episode, "Somebody's coming to the island. I need you to help them find it." But Jack smashes the mirrors and Jacob tells Hugo, "I'm sure they'll find some other way." With the appearance of the submarine at the end of this past week's episode, was Jacob talking about Charles Widmore?  :ponder:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I would think he was probably referring to Widmore.

I can see how the death of Jacob could shake Alpert that much, but he used to be the coolest dude on the island.

I really hope it isn't the convergence of timelines at the end of this thing. I hope they have something more interesting up their sleeves than that.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

I for one would watch the shit out of a Sawyer and Miles buddy cop show.

And Richard Alpert episode next week! Super excited.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on March 17, 2010, 12:28:13 AM
I for one would watch the shit out of a Sawyer and Miles buddy cop show.

And Richard Alpert episode next week! Super excited.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Also, now that we know he's a cop, it's very interesting that he knowingly let Kate-in-handcuffs escape the airport. And I think it's brilliant that his back story really worked as a cop's back story as well.
WWPTAD?

diggler

i loved miles and sawyers mini cop show. a lot of these alternate reality stories, especially sawyers and sayid's, work well as little short films on their own. judging by how he reacted to charlie's brother, it makes sense that he didn't care about kate escaping the airport. he's got a singular vision, which is finding anthony cooper. plus the marshall was kind of a dick to him so you could mark it up as simple quiet revenge. he even said himself that he doesn't care much for law and order and could've easily picked either path in life, so he picked the one that would lead him to sawyer.  

charlotte's kinda slutty eh?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

Quote from: ddiggler on March 17, 2010, 05:00:09 PM
charlotte's kinda slutty eh?

I know, if Faraday existed in that timeline, he'd be PISSED.
My house, my rules, my coffee