Making Video look like Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:18:25 PM

Ghostboy

I used to use Promist filters for this purpose, but while it does soften the image, it also makes it muddier. I don't reccomend them anymore. Shoot clean, unless you're going for that specific look.

The most important thing to do is to light properly. Overexposing can hide some lighting problems, or make for any interesting stylistic choice (I do it all the time), but you should really concentrate on getting the lighting done right. That's the key.

For proof...check out the trailer for my first DV movie, Lullaby, that I shot without really working on the lighting. It was one of my first attemtps at cinematography, and it looks pretty bad. You can find it at www.road-dog-productions.com

Then check out the trailer for a movie I'm editing called Mere Acquaintance at www.tablegirl.com
It looks really awesome because the DP lit it just as he would have lit it for film.

Both movies were shot on the exact same camera (my XL-1), without any filter (other than a neutral density when necessary)

P.S. Although on second thought, I don't know how well you'll be able to differentiate between them, since you lose a lot when compressing for the internet.

"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Rudie Obias

b/a you're my saddle creek buddy right?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Quote from: rudieobb/a you're my saddle creek buddy right?

we aren't talking about the record label are we?
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

ReelHotGames

Quote from: 82use magic bullet

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3408656,00.html

Magic Bullet's great if you can afford a grand to get it and before you get all "KAZAA" on me... Last two files I tried to download had viruses, so no more, buying it legal if someone won't burn me a copy...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Quote from: michael alessandro
Quote from: 82use magic bullet

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3408656,00.html

Magic Bullet's great if you can afford a grand to get it and before you get all "KAZAA" on me... Last two files I tried to download had viruses, so no more, buying it legal if someone won't burn me a copy...

Well... True I do enjoy *purchacing* software.. but also im not dumb enough not to either buy or download anti virus software first :)

Tommy Both

Quote from: GhostboyThen check out the trailer for a movie I'm editing called Mere Acquaintance at www.tablegirl.com

Woaw, this trailer looked good indeed. Because of the lighting you said before and also because it's in widescreen - how did you do that ? - Great trailer, hope you cut the movie as good as the trailer looks, it's defintely a trailer that makes you want to see the movie.

A funny sidenote is that the main character is named after me   :twisted:  hehe, Tommy and then my last name changed with one letter... ahah, ghostboy who wrote the script and where did you guys get that name from!!  8)

btw: here's the link for the trailer:

Quote from: tommy_both
Quote from: GhostboyThen check out the trailer for a movie I'm editing called Mere Acquaintance at www.tablegirl.com

Woaw, this trailer looked good indeed. Because of the lighting you said before and also because it's in widescreen - how did you do that ? - Great trailer, hope you cut the movie as good as the trailer looks, it's defintely a trailer that makes you want to see the movie.

He used a Canon XL-1 which has a 16:9 option.

Ghostboy

Yes, but true to form, the 16:9 was never used. The movie was shot in 4:3, but the shots were composed with 2:35:1 in mind. Then I just added all the mattes in post.

The guy who wrote it and stars in it (and runs that tablegirl site) came up with the name Tommy Botch, I'm not sure where he got it. The script was pretty damn bad. A buddy of mine (JMJ, the guy with the lipstick avatar, actually), directed it just to gain the experience. Then while I was editing it, we pretty much rewrote the entire movie, rearranging the entire point of the film into something...good, hopefully.

Quote from: GhostboyYes, but true to form, the 16:9 was never used. The movie was shot in 4:3, but the shots were composed with 2:35:1 in mind. Then I just added all the mattes in post.

The guy who wrote it and stars in it (and runs that tablegirl site) came up with the name Tommy Botch, I'm not sure where he got it. The script was pretty damn bad. A buddy of mine (JMJ, the guy with the lipstick avatar, actually), directed it just to gain the experience. Then while I was editing it, we pretty much rewrote the entire movie, rearranging the entire point of the film into something...good, hopefully.

out of curiosity.. any reason you didn't use the 16:9 feature?

Ghostboy

The XL-1 and all other prosumer cameras have square CCD chips, which means the 16:9 image is electronically compressed into a rectangle. This cuts down quite a bit on vertical resolution and color saturation. So if you want a sharper, more vibrant picture, shoot in 4:3 and then crop it later. Or you can buy an anamorphic lens from Century Optics, but that's really expensive.

Redlum

I saw this crazy adapter once you can buy for Canon cameras (the one I saw was on a xm1) and it did true 2.35:1. The adapter was almost the size of the camera.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ghostboy

Yeah, that's the mini35 adapter from PS Technic. It's awesome, but it costs about four times as much as the camera. Basically what it does is allow you to use 35mm lenses on the XL-1 (or other similar miniDV cams), which increases the picture quality almost exponentially (a lot of people underestimate the amount of image quality that is dependent on the lens). Of course, if you buy the adapter, then you're still gonna need the lenses, which usually cost upwards of 50 grand apiece (thank god for rentals!).

Redlum

Thats crazy. The one I saw was some tacky japanese thing for $500
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

DigitalFriend

Yeah I've been wanting to shoot 16:9 untill I read that my Sony VX2000 just does "fake widescreen" and instead just cuts off image.  I was thinking of shooting with a wide angle lens and putting tape on the lcd monitor to where it would be cropped at and do it in premiere, so it looks "cool".

As for the film look.

How's cinelook?  I have after effects (*cough from someone) and I saw cinelook on ebay from some guy for 15 bucks, "full working beta" he says....

I'm working on something now that I want to make look like an old 50s educational video and maybe even have the "reel" sputter at the end.  But, I'm unsure if that is possible.