Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

tpfkabi

"jammy"?
it's not like the Grateful Dead or anything.
at least it's not like long solos and stuff like that.
the songs do go on longer than your average Wilco song though.
the 3 songs sung mainly by Tweedy could easily be on the last two Wilco albums i think.
O'Rourke's voice took a little getting used to.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reinhold

a ghost is born is amaaaaaazing, but on the first listen, it's no YHF.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Quote from: Reinhold Messnera ghost is born is amaaaaaazing, but on the first listen, it's no YHF.
just checking the date on this one.  is it 2004?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

June 22, 2004
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Wilco Reveal Release Date, Tracklist for Live Album
Source: Pitchfork

Last May, Wilco treated local fans to four nights of music at Chicago's Vic Theatre. The mini-series sold out almost immediately, tickets bringing in outrageous amounts of moola on eBay only minutes after they hit the box office. Though this isn't anything new to a band who pulled two Grammys earlier this year and is treated like deities in its hometown, surely the speed of the sales was fueled partially by the fact that the performances would be recorded for future release on both DVD and CD. Who doesn't want to be on TV?
Well, kiddies, your time has come. Redecorate the kitchen with some stainless steel appliances and then fill them with space food, 'cause the future is here! Or sort of, anyway. While we're still in the dark on the DVD, Wilco has announced the November 1 Nonesuch release of Kicking Television - Live in Chicago, a two-disc audio set capturing highlights from those four May evenings. The tracklisting runs through a significant portion of the band's catalog, in addition to a cover of Charles Wright's "Comment". Alas, no Kiss covers, beautiful and stoned, though.

>>Disc one
01 Misunderstood
02 Company In My Back
03 The Late Greats
04 Hell Is Chrome
05 Handshake Drugs
06 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
07 Shot in the Arm
08 At Least That's What You Said
09 Wishful Thinking
10 Jesus, Etc.
11 I'm the Man Who Loves You
12 Kicking Television

>>Disc two
01 Via Chicago
02 Hummingbird
03 Muzzle of Bees
04 One by One
05 Airline to Heaven
06 Radio Cure
07 Ashes of American Flags
08 Heavy Metal Drummer
09 Poor Places
10 Spiders (Kidsmoke)
11 Comment

In the spirit of the live album, Wilco will be playing a handful of shows this fall, beginning this Sunday with Farm Aid. The band will be joining the likes of Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp and Dave Matthews at that charity event, which benefits farm families affected by Hurricane Katrina. They're also opening for the Rolling Stones in Atlanta, and Jeff Tweedy will be performing a few solo shows in November.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

They'll also be playing a show next weekend here (outside of ACL-fest) which I have tickets for.  Color me excited.

squints

Thursday Sept. 22 i'm seeing Wilco in Tulsa...i couldn't be anymore excited...if what they put on that live cd is even half as good as the show they put on in Oklahoma City in April then i'm completely sold...goodness i can't wait to hear Nels Cline make love to his guitar again
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateThey'll also be playing a show next weekend here (outside of ACL-fest) which I have tickets for.  Color me excited.
you've seen them before right, RK?

RegularKarate

This is correct.  But I'm psyched to see them again.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

72teeth

Wow, i'll have to start using sepia more often... :yabbse-thumbup:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

Just saw them thursday in Tulsa...what a great incredible unspeakably awesome display of humanity. During their last set a friend of mine stumbled up and declared with a finger pointing at the Tweed: "There's the Jesus Christ of rock n' roll man!" I saw a 2 year old groovin' on his dad's shoulders and i saw a 60+ year old woman cutting a rug in the middle of the crowd the entire show. Tweedy spoke up during "Kingpin" after he broke a string and declared something that could summed up as "America sucks now like it never has before". Stirrat was sporting a mountain man look and Nels was doing some amazing things with that guitar (if they want to make an album that could surpass Yankee hotel's greatness, they better have Nels on board). They played for close to 3 hours and they included some new material (one song that included lyrics like "I'm a-walking, I'm a-singing" was just fucking incredible and as soon as they post the setlist on Wilcobase i'm gonna know the name). They closed with a woody guthrie song called "Jesus Christ for President" and it blew my mind, the last thing i expected. Via Chicago was particularly moving. And on misunderstood it was pretty cool to hear the huge crowd scream "You still love rock and roll" and see a giant grin pop up on the whole band's face as if they genuinley were surprised. All in all, one of the two best concerts i've ever ever seen (the other being the other Wilco show i saw in april).

Here some pictures:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v231/wilcobase/wilco-2005-09-22-clay_billman/?start=0

RegularKarate

Wow, i'll have to remember not to use sepia tone...

I'm seeing them tonight.. effing fuck, I'm psyched.

squints

The song is called "Walken", they've been playing it since the beginning of this month..if anyone can find a copy of any kind...i'd be a very very happy squints

RegularKarate

Yeah, they played it at our show (by the way they said we were cooler than Tulsa, but I'll bet all the rock stars say that).

Awesome song.

Here are some pics: