Superman: Man of Steel

Started by MacGuffin, February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

diggler

SPOILERS

When Superman was debating whether or not to kill Zod, I kept thinking, "didn't you just kill half of Metropolis?"
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

In an earth-shattering collision of two of my favoritest podcasts, Glen Weldon (from Pop Culture Happy Hour) was interviewed in this week's episode (released today) of Slate's Culture Gabfest. He's also the author of Superman: The Unauthorized Biography, which came out recently.

I haven't seen Man of Steel, but this seems like a great interview, discussing semi-Nolanization and such. It starts at 15:40...

Massive tangent. It's funny how Glen Weldon is so familiar with Slate's Culture Gabfest, yet none of them are familiar with his podcast, nor do they plug it at all, even though they seem to be (understandably) smitten with him. (He has to get in his ninja plug at the end.) It's not like PCHH is some obscure podcast... Slate's Culture Gabfest is ranked #123 in iTunes, but Pop Culture Happy Hour is ranked #27... above Dan Savage, Bill Maher, Car Talk, Harmontown, Doug Loves Movies, and our beloved How Did This Get Made.

Even funnier is that, years ago, he called their podcast "a weekly 60/40 blend of the engaging/insufferable."

Yes, podcast discussion is now invading other threads.

MacGuffin

Was it me, or did there seem to be a lot of things similar to Matrix? The babies in pods, the squid ships, takes flight like Neo, using Morpheus and Cmdr. Lock, etc.

The last act felt like the last act of Revolutions:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kellen

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 22, 2013, 01:58:03 AM
Was it me, or did there seem to be a lot of things similar to Matrix? The babies in pods, the squid ships, takes flight like Neo, using Morpheus and Cmdr. Lock, etc.

The last act felt like the last act of Revolutions:

Yeah when I first saw the pods the image of the Matrix fields popped into my head.  I didn't hate Man of Steel but I didn't love it either.  I thought the film had too many flashbacks to Clark's past.  I dunno maybe the sequel will be better but I don't have the most faith in Snyder.

Neil

Quote from: ddiggler on June 19, 2013, 10:19:06 AM
SPOILERS

When Superman was debating whether or not to kill Zod, I kept thinking, "didn't you just kill half of Metropolis?"

Clark: What was I supposed to do, just let them die?

John: Maybe.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

jenkins

http://io9.com/the-most-important-scenes-from-man-of-steel-as-i-remem-516405346

^^ is that accurate? honest q. haven't seen the movie and not sure when/how i will. i read the above and laughed much, without being able to compare it to the movie

(a friend linked the above, if you're wondering 'why did he even read this?')(my friend considers it an accurate portrayal of his problems with the movie, but i don't want to ask him if that's what the movie is like, because i think he'd be annoyed that i haven't gone to see the movie)

Myxo

Ever heard of a cook over salting his food to mask blandness? Snyder couldn't get out of his own way with this one. There are quiet moments of brilliance to be enjoyed. Superman the boy works. Loved the casting there. I can see a prequel happening. But 80% of the spectacle is a muddled bunch of nonsense and noise with no heart.

..and yet I'll pay to see the next one.

polkablues

Well, I'm definitely in the minority on this one. While far from perfect, I pretty much unabashedly loved it from start to finish. I think it helps that I have no particular allegiance to the Donner film and its truly terrible sequels. I was ready for a new take on Superman, and it delivered on that. The stakes were high, the themes were grand, and there were only a handful of lines that made me groan, so major kudos for that.

Regarding the "Nolanization" of it all, I will always fall on the side of movies that take themselves seriously. The Avengers and all the Marvel movies are fun, but that's kind of all they are. As soon as they're over they disappear in a puff of air because there's no mass to them. There's a connectedness to reality that the Nolan Batmans and this movie have that the Marvel movies lack, and I think that's what I respond to about them in a way that I simply don't with Iron Man or Thor or whatever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I have problems with this movie but agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph here. I think you have to take crazy pills not to at least appreciate the ambition of the Nolan movies over anything Marvel has done. Even with some flaws, there is just no comparison (not that they're even trying). Different leagues. I appreciate MOS for swinging for the fences but definitely think they screwed up some simple character/motivational stuff in the second half.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I think there's a difference between Nolanization and taking movies seriously. Applying the same general tone and approach to every movie, regardless of the demands of the story, is not taking it seriously.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mel

This was awful. It felt like Emmerich film and that pretty much sums it up. I think script was constructed backward - there is so much stitching done by plot devices. Not even Michael Shannon could save it (that was the only reason I picked up it in first place and continued till the end). Not worth any further critique.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...