The Emperor's New Groove

Started by Find Your Magali, November 27, 2005, 11:32:52 PM

Find Your Magali

Saw this for the first time last week. It had never been on my radar as anything other than "one of those lesser movies Disney churned out in the past decade" .... But it is absolutely hilarious. I think it's the best movie Looney Tunes never made. ... A Disney film in name, but an anarchic, self-referential spirit that evokes the best of Looney Tunes and is even in lockstep with some of the current "postmodern" cartoons you see on, say, Adult Swim (only in the purely G-rated sense, though). ... Spade and especially Patrick Warburton are gold in this flick. Warburton's henchman character almost steals the whole movie. Highly recommended, if you somehow missed this, as I did.

Ravi

I saw it at a dollar theater with a friend after finals in high school, and we thought it was going to be stupid but it turned out to be really funny and smart.

modage

i love it. 

dvd is pretty great too.  i think the most success (artistically) disney has had in recent years is with their 'smaller' projects that sort of slipped through the typical cracks.  this and Lilo and Stitch were very atypical disney and for that reason i'm interested in seeing Chicken Little as well (same director as ENG), though that is disney's tentpole in which their journey into 3D hangs so maybe it wont be as good.  Patrick Warburton is HILARIOUS in this movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: modage on November 27, 2005, 11:39:38 PM
this and Lilo and Stitch were very atypical disney and for that reason i'm interested in seeing Chicken Little as well (same director as ENG)

The reviews I've read for CL mentioned that it has a lot of pop culture references, which turned me off to seeing it.

Kal

I love this movie. The guys in my office gave it to me a couple of years ago cause they said it was about me... and its so hilarous I watch it over and over... the sequel comes out now, in a couple of months, I think it goes straight to DVD. Kronk's New Groove, but features all the same characters and same actors.

Kal

Got it and saw it... not as half as good as the first one of course.

The only real funny thing is the fact that Kronk's voice is David Puddy from Seinfeld... and he kinda looks and acts like him too...

Still, for what Disney movies have been lately, its not a bad way to spend an hour if you like animated movies