Wonder Boys

Started by Finn, January 11, 2004, 06:15:47 PM

Finn

I just love the Grady Tripp character, he's great.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ono

Saw Wonder Boys again tonight with a couple friends.  Still a great film.

We made the mistake of going through some of the extras.  A painful Bob Dylan video, and Curtis Hanson trying to explain why he used music in a given scene.  Painful.  He came across as really quite stupid.  So I don't know if this is a fluke, or if the screenplay was just really good for both films (well, now three or so).

Anyway, anyone want to recommend any films similar in tone to Wonder Boys?  We all kinda liked that easygoing, college town vibe the film had going for it.  Plus, the weather was a great touch, I thought.

pete

he came across quite stupid in 8 mile too especially when he called Eminem the Da Vinci of rap battles.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ono mo cuishleSo I don't know if this is a fluke, or if the screenplay was just really good for both films (well, now three or so).

I gurantee I'm the only one of this opinion, but I haven't really liked any of his films. My initial enjoyment of L.A. Confidential got me to read the book. Bad decision because the book destroys the film and makes the film look like it didn't even try to be as interesting or as vibrant as that book. Its a book on a level that maybe only Oliver Stone could have kept up with.

Wonder Boys is enjoyable, but its gives superficial symbolism like it was ripped from a book and never really delves beyond that. It stays at surface level through out the entire film where everything is observable and understandable. Sideways is also obviously from a novel, but at least it makes a point not to take every clear signal of symbolism from its book and put it in the film (at least it didn't seem like it did). Wonder Boys is very explanatory. Tobey Maguire's suicide character characterized by his ability to name off every Hollywood actor/actress suicide really is a trademark novel characterization. Its just novels can use such trite ideas and find success because they have the ability to really delve into the characters in other ways.

NEON MERCURY

man, i love wonder boys.  such an underrated film.  ono, i know what you're saying abou the college town vibe but there really is not another film that does or capture that same feel that hanson did.

Redlum

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTobey Maguire's suicide character characterized by his ability to name off every Hollywood actor/actress suicide really is a trademark novel characterization.

But that was all part of his act - not the true identity of the character. You only see the real James Leer in the basement when they come to rescue him.

I see what you're saying, though but a better example would be the 'dead dog'. Thats the novelistic hook that the rest of the film hangs from but when you have a film ostensibly about writing - isnt that the point? Its a yarn.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ®edlum
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTobey Maguire's suicide character characterized by his ability to name off every Hollywood actor/actress suicide really is a trademark novel characterization.

But that was all part of his act - not the true identity of the character. You only see the real James Leer in the basement when they come to rescue him.

Yea, I'll give you that point. It still feels wrong for me, but logically, your right.

El Scorchoz

Quote from: ono mo cuishleWe made the mistake of going through some of the extras.  A painful Bob Dylan video, and Curtis Hanson trying to explain why he used music in a given scene.  Painful.  He came across as really quite stupid.  So I don't know if this is a fluke, or if the screenplay was just really good for both films .

The script is definately great. One of my favorite from the 90s for sure. But I wouldn't say Curtis Hanson is stupid. I met him once and didn't think he was dumb. Just a really really arrogant asshole.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

MacGuffin

Douglas Turned To Father After 'Wonder Boys' Disappointment

Oscar-winner Michael Douglas turned to his father Kirk Douglas for support when his 2000 movie Wonder Boys failed to garner the critical acclaimed he felt sure it deserved. The Wall Street star is still convinced it's a "f**king disgrace" the film, which also featured Tobey Maguire and Katie Holmes, was ignored by awards ceremonies and audiences alike. But he took comfort in his screen icon father, who suffered a similar disappointment when his favorite performance - in the 1962 movie Lonely Are The Brave - went largely unnoticed. Douglas says, "Wonder Boys was a huge disappointment personally. I loved the movie and we didn't even get critically acknowledged as far as awards go. I thought it was a f**king disgrace. I'll be honest - it really hurt my confidence. It was a punch in the gut. In fact it was my father who helped me through it. His favorite movie is Lonely Are The Brave. Nobody saw that when it came out, nobody's seen it since. My father's disappointment in that movie helped me get over mine."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 20, 2006, 11:43:36 AM
Douglas Turned To Father After 'Wonder Boys' Disappointment

Oscar-winner Michael Douglas turned to his father Kirk Douglas for support when his 2000 movie Wonder Boys failed to garner the critical acclaimed he felt sure it deserved. The Wall Street star is still convinced it's a "f**king disgrace" the film, which also featured Tobey Maguire and Katie Holmes, was ignored by awards ceremonies and audiences alike. But he took comfort in his screen icon father, who suffered a similar disappointment when his favorite performance - in the 1962 movie Lonely Are The Brave - went largely unnoticed. Douglas says, "Wonder Boys was a huge disappointment personally. I loved the movie and we didn't even get critically acknowledged as far as awards go. I thought it was a f**king disgrace. I'll be honest - it really hurt my confidence. It was a punch in the gut. In fact it was my father who helped me through it. His favorite movie is Lonely Are The Brave. Nobody saw that when it came out, nobody's seen it since. My father's disappointment in that movie helped me get over mine."

What a redundant blurb.