"Me-Cam"

Started by jasper_window, April 14, 2003, 01:08:02 PM

jasper_window

Does anyone have any suggestions for building a "me-cam?"  (The camera is locked off, attachted to a persons body, and aimed at them.)  I'm shooting on DV and will be using a lightweight, 2 or 3 pound, camera.  Many thanks.

aclockworkjj

rent the Pi DVD.....I believe in the comentary, Aronofsky talks about he did it....don't hold me too it, but I believe he says a lot about it...

RegularKarate

called the Snory-cam (sp?)

Ghostboy

That was the model they used on Pi, but I believe there's several variations of it. It's a somewhat complex rig with lots of springs  and stuff to keep the camera relatively steady. I'm sure a camera rental facility like Panavision could either provide one or point you in the right direction. Or you could probably figure out a way to build one that'll be good enough for a small DV camera.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

it kind of annoys me that many people give aronowsky credit for the innovation of the snory cam technique, when it was used 30 years before him by scorsese in mean streets. do any of you know if there were any films that utilized this technique before scorsese did?
...your excuses are your own...

mindfuck

Am I the only one who hates the look of shots done with this camera rig? It's unnatural and too "bouncy" since it moves with the actor's body. Every time I see it done in a film it reminds me of that fucking stupid "Fear" show on MTV a couple years back.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mindfuckAm I the only one who hates the look of shots done with this camera rig?.

I think Aronofsky handled them well.

mindfuck

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
I think Aronofsky handled them well.

Yes, he did. I still think the shots he used the rig for would have looked better as extreme closeups that kept close as the actor moved.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: mindfuckAm I the only one who hates the look of shots done with this camera rig?

The best use of this technique, IMO, were those in The Red Violin.  Anything like this is best used sparingly unlike their use in Pi.  It was just way overdone.  I did like Aronofsky's use in Requiem....when Wayans is running like hell down the alley.  I thought it was great.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyThe Red Violin

Holy crap....I had completely forgotten about this film....I caught it one Sat. afternoon on HBO or something and really enjoyed it!  Good call...

Sleuth

Quote from: Pastor Parsley...when Wayans is running like hell down the alley.  I thought it was great.

So did I.  I love that part
I like to hug dogs

pete

well there is this very indie filmmaker named Joe Gibbons who does experimental work, and he has a pretty simple way of handling it--just film himself at arm's length, with the camera pointing at himself.  It's much easier nowadays with the advent of them wideangle camcorders and the LCD screens that flip 180 degrees like a mirror, but he used to do it with 16mm film cameras.
check out confessions of a sociopath by gibbons, it looks great when he does it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Link

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyI did like Aronofsky's use in Requiem....when Wayans is running like hell down the alley.  I thought it was great.

He fell at the end of the scene, right?  How'd they do that without falling on the camera?