Sin City

Started by metroshane, March 16, 2004, 06:57:43 PM

metroshane

What's the scoop on RR's new movie Sin City?  This is a comic book or something?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: metroshaneWhat's the scoop on RR's new movie Sin City?  This is a comic book or something?

hoooo da fuck is RR?
...your excuses are your own...

meatwad

director of desperado, from dusk till dawn, etc.

metroshane

Thanks and sorry for the double post.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

Well, since this thread is here...

The Vine: All-star lineup seduced by 'Sin'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Robert Rodriguez is packing up a U-Haul with a host of top talent in hopes that they'll move into "Sin City," which he is directing for Dimension Films. According to multiple sources, Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth and Jaime King have been targeted for the film, an adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel series. Some of the actors have already signed on for parts in the pic, while others are only in discussions or have just received offers to join the cast. Other names being bandied about include Benicio Del Toro and Maria Bello, though offers had not yet gone out to either as of late Wednesday. Set to start shooting shortly, "Sin City" will be composed of three intertwining vignettes revolving around a dark set of characters that call the fictional corrupt town home.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I guess Bruce would be playing Marv? I can dig that for sure. Leo as Dwight? I picture him in  Romeo + Juliet, in the scene where he kills Tybalt, and it makes pretty good sense.

And Benicio and Maria Bello would both be perfect for this movie, so  I hope they sign on.

The way RR works, this could be out by this fall. I can't wait.

Weak2ndAct

I seriously hope Mickey Rourke is Marv.  That casting would be *perfect*!

modage

that would be an awesome cast and yet i'm just so worried about Rodriguez now after OUATIM and Spy Kids 2 (didnt see 3).  i just thought they were ROYAL MESSES.  i used to like him when he made 'real' movies (from dusk till dawn, desperado).  he needs to slow down and make sure he has a good movie.  maybe if he gets a little more help in the script dept. he will be okay.  but i really wasnt loving the digital either.  oh well, this better be good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

No arguments here that RR needs some ritalin and needs to calm down.  I have a little more faith on Sin City just for the sheer fact that RR had to actually write a whole thought-out script (it seems quite absurd that this is true, shouldn't this ALWAYS happen?) to convince Miller that the movie would work.  Frank's notoriously protective of his baby, and his involvement gives me hope that this might just work.  Here's hoping the blacks are black, the whites are really white, there's plenty of gritty VO, and cuts are kept to a minimum.  

Side note: For the transfer of Seven, Fincher wanted the blacks so deep around the edges so that it wouldn't be possible to tell where the frame starts/ends.  I hope Sin City gets this right.

modage

Quote from: Weak2ndActI seriously hope Mickey Rourke is Marv.  That casting would be *perfect*!
according to AICN, "MARV is being played by Mickey Rourke... he's been doing voice-over work with Robert the past couple of days and Robert has been incredibly jazzed about the way those Miller lines are coming out of Mickey. He will be undergoing a transformation of sorts to end up looking extremely close to what Miller drew as looking like Marv. You'll see."
all the details here....  http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=17215

Michael Fleming at Variety.com has broke a story about how Robert Rodriguez, in order to be able to have Frank Miller as his co-director on SIN CITY, resigned from the Director's Guild (DGA) as to not set a potentially damaging precedent which could be abused outside of this particularly unique situation. However, in talking to Michael Fleming he spilled the beans on some of the additional "Holy Shit" cool things about SIN CITY.
#1: He says that Quentin Tarantino will be a "Special Guest Director" on one of the Sin City stories in the film!!!
#2: In addition to the names mentioned in yesterday's story - he mentioned to Fleming that he's been talking with Johnny Depp, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken and Michael Douglas!
Add those names to Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth, Jaime King, Josh Hartnett, Marley Shelton, Maria Bello and Benicio Del Toro and you've got a potentially amazing line up, possibly the biggest all star line up for a comic adaptation period.
And that's the latest from SIN CITY...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

all i can say is DAMN

modage

Quote from: meatwadall i can say is DAMN
what else can one say at this point?  i mean really?  like, hahah.  if this turns out to be anything BUT the coolest movie EVER, then something went wrong.  haha.

NEON MERCURY

that sh*t sounds great.....but my vote for potential coolest film ever ..would be The Fountain......

Weak2ndAct

Go get the comics if you haven't read them before.  Then you'll seriously go into a geek meltdown.  They're just amazing.  

Actually, I'm very happy RR is onboard just for sheer fact that I know this won't be dragged out for over 2 years.  Yes, I'm that impatient.