The Film I like Most by ________ _______ and Why!

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 01, 2003, 09:57:38 PM

brockly

PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON: Boogie Nights. Hilarious and the funnest to watch. Although there is more to Magnolia, I think BN is better made.

WES ANDERSON: Rushmore.... bah, it's just better.

THE COEN BROTHERS: Big Lebowski. The brilliant characters and the ridiculous plot work so well together.

CAMERON CROWE: Vanilla Sky

DAVID FINCHER: Fight Club. I'm not spose to talk about it.

STANLEY KUBRICK: 2001, but not by far. Clockwork comes in 2nd.

DAVID LYNCH: Mulholland Dr. I only seen this & Blue Velvet, and this was better.

MARTIN SCORSESE: Taxi Driver. No explanation needed.

STEVEN SODERBEGH: Out of Site is probably his best, followed by Traffic.

STEVEN SPIELBERG: Last Cruisade.

QUENTIN TARANTINO: Pulp Fiction.

Vile5

Magnolia ( by Paul Thomas Anderson) i loved this picture since the first scene, the music, the characters, and over all the SCRIPT, and W. H. Macy's character with the SuperTramp's music and the scene in the bar,and Aime Mann, and Carmen!!! (The Opera) wow!...well i could talk hours and hours an hours about this picture

The Dreams by Akira Kurosawa (i don't know if that's the title in english too) this movie is one of the reasons why a i love cinema as i love it and Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh!! and the tunnel sequence sooo touching, well this is just a masterpiece

The Rope by Alfred Hitchcock, is a play made movie, and just a genius as Hitchcock could make a movie so interesting as this, moving the camera during almost 2 hours in the same room!

Barton Fink by The Coen Brothers, is wonderful how depresion  could became in a beautiful movie, and John Turturro is terrific!!! i really would like to see JT in a PTA movie, that would be sooooooooo niiiiice

Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino, this movie changed my way to watch pictures, i just would say that if someone askme what was the best of 90's, i would say: Pulp Fiction (because Magnolia was showed in 2000 in Peru)
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

ben

PTA - Punch Drunk Love - I love the colors in this film, and I love how PTA makes any setting look beautiful (i.e. his office). The music is also perfect. A VERY near second is Boogie Nights (the opening to this movie is awesome with the long steadicam shot and "Best of My Love" playing in the background)

Wes Anderson - Rushmore - The music, Billy Murray, etc. What more is there to say? It's an awesome, FUN film to watch.

Coens - O Brother - Just a really fun film to watch. Plus I'm really into greek mythology.

Cameron Crowe - Vanilla Sky - So confusing that it glued me to the screen.

Kubrick - Clockwork Orange - Everything.

Lynch - I have yet to catch one of his films.

Marty Scorsese - Goodfellas - Bad ass film

Soderbergh - Traffic - The colors and editing were real cool in this movie.

Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Arc - I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan, and I can't help but love the first of the three.

Quentin Tarantino - hmmm...can't decide.

Fincher - Fight Club - also makes me want to fight.

Honorable Mentions -

Jonze - Being John Malkovich
Almodovar - All about my Mother

Spike

P.T. ANDERSON - "Magnolia" - the actors are just so amazing, especially William H. Macy as the unendless loser Donnie. You're right - the bar scene is really fantastic - "When I was young...!" - great song!

WES ANDERSON - "The Royal Tenenbaums" - great actors, a fantastic script, very entertaining, subtle fun - a masterpiece.

JOEL & ETHAN COEN - "The Big Lebowski" - incredibly funny, a fantastic Jeff Bridges and also an amazing John Goodman, nearly every line is quotable.

CAMERON CROWE - "Almost Famous" - nice, little film about Rock'n'Roll with great actors.

DAVID FINCHER - "Fight Club" - very disturbing but also damn funny with fantastic scenes, a great sense of humour, amazing actors and a new a very intelligent story. I also like the camerawork and the dark colours very much.

STANLEY KUBRICK - "A Clockwork Orange" - disturbing, bad - just great! And Malcolm McDowell is fantastic!

DAVID LYNCH - "Blue Velvet" - the great darkness of a small town, the actors are great and just the mystery of the film is great.

MARTIN SCORSESE - "Taxi Driver" - Robert De Niro at his best, a dark film - very good.

STEVEN SODERBERGH - "Traffic" - different colors for each scenes, it really encovers the drug scene.

STEVEN SPIELBERG - "Saving Private Ryan" - the camerawork's amazing, I think that nobody showed us ever the reality of the World War II so intensively.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - "Pulp Fiction" - what do I have to say about this flick? Just fucking awesome, dude!  :-D
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON: PDL.  I've never seen a movie that had so much charm to it.  When people ask me what it's about, I say "too hard to explain, but really great."  That way if they'll probably see it as opposed to me saying "it was a really deep, yet cute"  

WES ANDERSON: Royal Tenebaums.  Cinematic masterpiece with the directing, small storyline that branches out in a bunch of directions, and acting that can't be beaten.  All around classic.

DAVID FINCHER: Fight Club.  The first movie to really blow my mind.  I think that's because I was expecting just some fighting and yadda yadda because all I had heard was "Two guys make an underground fighting ring to relieve the day's stress."  I later realized that person completely missed the point of the movie...

STANLEY KUBRICK: Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb.  Who else has the balls to mock a war to this magnitude at one of the most tense times of it?  To some he's overrated, to some he's God, but you can't say he didn't have some fucked up agenda.

DAVID LYNCH: Blue Velvet.  Little memory of it, I just know that I cracked up everytime I heard Dennis Hopper go on his "FUCK! Don't you fucking look at me you fucking fucker! BABY WANTS TO FUCK!" rants.

MARTIN SCORSESE: Goodfellas.  Great flick about the mafia.  Good actor picks, and everything.

STEVEN SPIELBERG: Jurassic Park.  Almost said Catch Me If You Can.  Then, remembered how Jurassic Park was my first favorite movie.  I was obssessed with it.  I begged my parents to take me to a showing of it everyday when I was younger.  I think I saw it 5 times in the theaters, though.  I was in awe of the animation, true.  But the story had me captivated.  Ok, so what if I was just a kid?

QUENTIN TARANTINO: Pulp Fiction.  I don't know many movies where I can watch it and feel coooooool.  Anyone know what I mean?  Whenever I watch it, I feel ok with giving my "yeahs" that special pronunciation, or saying "sall good."  I'm not sure how, but it gives me a vibe of being really swank.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Steve McQueen's ghost

DAVID FINCHER: Fight Club. I am Jack's beer washed kidneys.

STANLEY KUBRICK: Shining. No explanation needed.

MARTIN SCORSESE: Goodfellas. Great actors, great story.

TIM BURTON: Beetlejuice. Because it didn't SUCK as bad as his other films.

QUENTIN TARANTINO: Reservoir Dogs. I LOVE Pulp, but I love RD just a little more.

CAMERON CROWE: Almost Famous. Great story telling. I love rock n' roll!

STEVEN SPIELBERG: Raiders of the Lost Arc. No explanation needed.

SAM RAIMI: EVIL DEAD 2 DEAD BY DAWN: The most visually stunning movie ever, and he made it for about ten bucks. LOL!!!

FRANCIS FORD COPOLLA: The Godfather 2. One of my all time favs. You people should have a forum for this guy.

KEVIN SMITH: Chasing Amy. Great characters, great dialogue, great story.

DAVID LYNCH: Who gives a sh1t. Is he on drugs?

SAM MENDES: American Beauty. A perfect movie. Now this is better than Magnolia, you've GOT to admit that.

I almost forgot RIDLEY SCOTT: 1984. It was a commercial he did for a certain computer company, heh heh. TV Guide ranked it as the greatest commercial ever. As far as a movie goes? BladeRunner

SoNowThen

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostSAM MENDES: American Beauty. A perfect movie. Now this is better than Magnolia, you've GOT to admit that.

HAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaha.... no.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostSAM MENDES: American Beauty. A perfect movie. Now this is better than Magnolia, you've GOT to admit that.

HAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaha.... no.

what he said.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Steve McQueen's ghost

Yeah you guys are right Magnolia was much better. I mean so what if American Beauty won the Academy Awards for BEST PICTURE and BEST ACTOR and and eat this: BEST DIRECTOR! What did Magnolia get?

modage

because the academy awards actually mean something?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Steve McQueen's ghost

Hey, themodernage02, you're right, the AA are full of crap. I'll be holding my breath with you waiting for J Lo to get that best actress nomination for Gigli....BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OOOHHH! I touched a nerve! You guys can't accept that anything is better than Magnolia. I'm gonna watch it again. I must have missed something that I DIDN'T miss in American Beauty.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostDAVID LYNCH:  Who gives a sh1t. Is he on drugs?

NO..and thats the beauty of his films......

and for the record ..i just feel like venting some....

PTA ......HAS.. NOTHING
............. ON

LYN.CH.......

Alethia

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostYeah you guys are right Magnolia was much better. I mean so what if American Beauty won the Academy Awards for BEST PICTURE and BEST ACTOR and and eat this: BEST DIRECTOR! What did Magnolia get?

are you fucking kidding me?

i mean, I love American Beauty, too.  Second fave film of 1999 (fave was - yeah, magnolia)  but jesus christ dude, do you know how stupid that made you sound?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostYeah you guys are right Magnolia was much better. I mean so what if American Beauty won the Academy Awards for BEST PICTURE and BEST ACTOR and and eat this: BEST DIRECTOR! What did Magnolia get?

are you fucking kidding me?

i mean, I love American Beauty, too.  Second fave film of 1999 (fave was - yeah, magnolia)  but jesus christ dude, do you know how stupid that made you sound?

..yeah gotta agree....w/eward..just b/c it  wins gold, it doesn't mean is worth gold.....(i.e....GLADIATOR...&  SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE)...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI mean so what if American Beauty won the Academy Awards for BEST PICTURE and BEST ACTOR and and eat this: BEST DIRECTOR!

The quality of a film should not be judged like a football game.

And also... OMG HAVE U SEEN GLADIATOR? OMG IT WON BEST PICTURE OMG ITS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostWhat did Magnolia get?

http://www.ptanderson.com/featurefilms/magnolia/awardsandnominations.htm