Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

polkablues

I just don't see how this death caught so many people so by surprise... the man was a 50-year-old anorexic with long-standing prescription drug addictions.  I don't care how talented an entertainer the man was, he's been living on borrowed time for years now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkablues on June 27, 2009, 02:23:34 AM
I just don't see how this death caught so many people so by surprise... the man was a 50-year-old anorexic with long-standing prescription drug addictions.  I don't care how talented an entertainer the man was, he's been living on borrowed time for years now.

Yea, his situation reminds me of Elvis in his final years. A shell of his former great self and embracing every bad lifestyle choice to just fight the demons he created over the years. Jackson isn't entirely to blame, but his adulthood should have given him enough consciousness to fight his problems instead of just admit to them in interviews.

I think the shock of his death is that an icon is dead. Sinatra led a long life and was able to wind down his career before he passed on, but Jackson's greatest heights are barely 20 years old and there's a feeling he still had time to turn it all around. Nobody expected he would do it career wise, but I think there was hope that he could find a better note to end his life on. Going into this year, Jackson was still in the headlines and a figment of public fascination. The idea is that the book hadn't completely been written on him yet. No one had forgotten about him so I think a lot of people were still rooting for him.

Neil

Yeah, ya know this is scarily like elvis.  They cliamed elvis suffered cardiac arrest at 42 i think(?) well, i'm not really sure how characteristic it is for people to go into cardiac arrest at 50 or below...I think that the meds thing was probably a serious issue.  battling the media for 20+ years probably has an effect on a person.  Not to mention the other shit in his past...As soon as i hear the news GT i said "oh man, and he didn't even get to make his memoir yet."  800 million records is something else.  What a world.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

Quote from: Fernando on June 26, 2009, 02:26:33 PM
I'll share an anecdote that was told in a radio show here:

Back in 1993 right before all the sexual abuse accusations he was doing 5 or 6 show in Mexico city and was gonna perform one in Monterrey where I live, I think he only played three shows and when the accusations went public he canceled the rest of the shows. Anyway, he was staying at a luxury hotel in m.city and had rented two whole floors, there where odd things since the beginning of his stay because the cleaning service was not allowed to enter his suite, they were given the dirty sheets and what not at the door and left all clean stuff that was needed, food was order always as room service and again they took the meals and nobody ever entered the suite. Upon leaving when his staff payed everything they left an additional $10thou for 'damages that may had be done'.

When they finally left the admins of the hotel went to check the rooms and to their surprised the whole room was wrecked, bathrooms destroyed even toilets teared out of the floor, floor and bathroom tiles also teared down, furniture cut with knives, jars broken, every goddamn thing was totaled, the hotel had to contact his ppl because the damage done surpassed the ten thousend they left and asked for 36thou more.

The only explanation the admins found was that the guy not only had an eccentric life style but one of excess in every way.

what a story !!! is this somekind of Monterey urban legend or is that an actual fact ??????

matt35mm

This guy was just on Conan.

Billy Mays Found Dead

TAMPA, Fla. – Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead Sunday morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, says the family doesn't expect to make any public statements and asked for privacy.

Mays was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.

"Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

polkablues

That right there is way more shocking than Michael Jackson. I'm not the biggest fan, but he was fun to watch on Pitchmen. This one's really out of the blue.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

Just goes to show where a life of shouting will get ya.

Reinhold

Quote from: Neil on June 28, 2009, 12:43:56 PM
Just goes to show where a life of shouting will get ya.

shouting and spending hours with cheap cleaning products and glues under hot lights
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

this is horrible.

note the first thing he says.

Gamblour.

Jesus, what an awful fucker. Ebert's article makes even more sense.
WWPTAD?

Fernando

Quote from: picolas on June 26, 2009, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: Stefen on June 26, 2009, 11:23:23 PMThe fame and the money definitely IS the reason he was the way he was.
it didn't help. but it wasn't the only ingredient. the seed of insanity was his childhood. i'm saying fame/money gave him license to exaggerate it to levels no normal person can know. i don't think we're saying very different things.

although like cine i don't think we can pin point exactly the why of his behavior, I wholeheartedly agree with pic and to add something, his father was a key ingredient of his many phobias.

Quote from: Pas Rap on June 27, 2009, 01:28:04 PM
what a story !!! is this somekind of Monterrey urban legend or is that an actual fact ??????

well, it isn't urban legend, it was told in a news radio show that is pretty serious. I did a quick search on-line but couldn't find anything, but you know, i choose to believe it.

tpfkabi

Quote from: jtm on June 29, 2009, 01:23:12 AM
this is horrible.

note the first thing he says.

talking about his next step already?

i watched Living w/MJ last night and saw where he talked about his dad making fun of his nose and having to act like he was asleep while his brothers did groupies. i felt really bad for him.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Neil

Yeah, i mean if we had any doubt about the whole father thing, that video was pretty god damn sad...At least he had his stunna shades on though.