Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

Thrindle

Well, seeing as it's late at night and I'm trying to find sleep (yet again) I thought I might 'exploit' you a little more...  So GT, would you forgive me for standing you up, even if my excuse was legitimate?  Would you allow me to sing in the car, while you were driving, without reaching to turn up the music?  Could I stay in my pajamas all day long (while watching movies) and would you still think I was cute?  Could I read you my poetry in the afternoon on the sundeck, and would you tell me you like it, no matter how meloncholy, melodramatic, or ridiculous it may be?

:-D
Classic.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet-
Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhat is your favorite 80's film.?

I'm a tired song on praising this film, but only some people here have seen it: Grave of the Fireflies. The Verdict is wildly under praised and maybe the best film of the decade, but Grave of the Fireflies is closest to me and one of the most emotional and fulfilling experiences I ever had watching a movie. It just keeps getting shelved into categories keeping from people watching it. Its anime so its just a cartoon or its unkown and old and hardly talked about so it can't be that great or stylistically its kinda boring so who gives a shit. I'm glad that almost all of the people here who have seen it carry some similiar feelings along with them for the film, but its a number of people i could count on my hands. More people need to see it and I can't see myself getting tired of it ever.

I saw it.  What a rough viewing.  I watched it late one night and it really is a powerful film.  I think it works best as anime, rather than live action.  It was really good, but I have to admit I had never heard of it before GT.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: NEON MERCURY-do you like films today..or do you perfer the classics..(i.e. Casablanca)

Its going to have to be classics. Casablanca isn't even that good, but past all the computer technology and all the styles redone and mixed, the older films still excite me ten times more than most films todays. By the late 1960s, it seems every style that we know had already been spoken for, had already been shown and explored and likely was going to leave  future films to trying to redo them on the measure of better quality only. The critic Stanley Kauffmann said the major shift in film came with 2001: A Space Odyssey. He said that after that film, the focus on film became on technology instead of the human face. Even considering the praise of the film, its a correct statement. 2001 is a very respectable film, but an easily exploitive film. It was only a matter of time before Hollywood would correlate the special effects break through 2001 had into a pure entertainment vehicle and the result was Star Wars, one of the most influential films ever. Now styles are being repeated and the focus is on technology. Too many movies have a casual computer feeling to it compared to older films cause most movies can't escape the influence of computers. Its just with all these films, I still find Ingmar Bergman's Persona more inventive, interesting and experimental than any film to come out in the last 5 years. Like I said, I feel all styles were discovered before the end of the 60s and during the 60s, between the old system and monopoly age, lived a decade where films were really cutting edge and filmmakers were hired on the experience they didn't have. blah blah blah, I'll just say classics.
i dont know what this means, but i think this idea you have is an illusion created out of fantasizing how things used to be before we were alive and that they were somehow better 'then' cause it wasnt 'now'.  i dont think there ever was such a standstill in movies, its just all the critics who were really coming of age throughout certain periods tend to look fondly on those days and so then, us, eager film lovers who want to find out more tend to look to them for whats good.  i dont think all the styles were just discovered and mined and done by any certain year and its all been repeats since then.  things are always moving forwards and looking backwards, dont you think?

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....-what type of films are most cliched??(romantic comedies, horror, political thrillers, murder mysteries, etc)?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHorror, easily. For the life of me, I want to love horror films so much but they are so boring cause they all are so predictable. The sad thing is that my humor is closest to the explicitness of horror films and its a rare thing when I find a movie like Irreversible that I know isn't traditional horror, but at least shocking and inventive enough to really catch my interest. I just can't find any other film at that same temperature level that really excite me so I know more sick jokes than anyone should. Quentin Tarantino could make a beautiful horror film. I wish he would.
he did (sort of), it was called From Dusk Till Dawn.  i hope he makes another one though.  and i realize this is just an opinion you're sharing but i think there is probably just as many inventive horror movies as romantic comedies or thrillers or any of the genres neon mentioned.  the trouble with genres, is usually to qualify you have to fit the 'formula'.  the best you can hope for is a filmmaker who is AWARE of the formula enough to subvert it.  i thought Jeepers Creepers did that, although no one else seems to agree with me.  did you see it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: NEON MERCURY-do you like films today..or do you perfer the classics..(i.e. Casablanca)

Its going to have to be classics. Casablanca isn't even that good, but past all the computer technology and all the styles redone and mixed, the older films still excite me ten times more than most films todays. By the late 1960s, it seems every style that we know had already been spoken for, had already been shown and explored and likely was going to leave  future films to trying to redo them on the measure of better quality only. The critic Stanley Kauffmann said the major shift in film came with 2001: A Space Odyssey. He said that after that film, the focus on film became on technology instead of the human face. Even considering the praise of the film, its a correct statement. 2001 is a very respectable film, but an easily exploitive film. It was only a matter of time before Hollywood would correlate the special effects break through 2001 had into a pure entertainment vehicle and the result was Star Wars, one of the most influential films ever. Now styles are being repeated and the focus is on technology. Too many movies have a casual computer feeling to it compared to older films cause most movies can't escape the influence of computers. Its just with all these films, I still find Ingmar Bergman's Persona more inventive, interesting and experimental than any film to come out in the last 5 years. Like I said, I feel all styles were discovered before the end of the 60s and during the 60s, between the old system and monopoly age, lived a decade where films were really cutting edge and filmmakers were hired on the experience they didn't have. blah blah blah, I'll just say classics.
i dont know what this means, but i think this idea you have is an illusion created out of fantasizing how things used to be before we were alive and that they were somehow better 'then' cause it wasnt 'now'.  i dont think there ever was such a standstill in movies, its just all the critics who were really coming of age throughout certain periods tend to look fondly on those days and so then, us, eager film lovers who want to find out more tend to look to them for whats good.  i dont think all the styles were just discovered and mined and done by any certain year and its all been repeats since then.  things are always moving forwards and looking backwards, dont you think?

No, I don't. The problem with your argument is that it really doesn't suggest an alternative to my argument but just disagree with it. Yes, you hypothesis my golden age was may have been fond memories of elder critics instead of an actual golden age, but you can't make that argument with me. As a viewer who has seen numerous films from both periods and every other period, the 60s contained the best films. When I answer these type of questions, of course I have to speak of history more so and evidence outside my own viewing just cause it'd be too hard to elaborate on every opinion for every major film in both eras.

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHorror, easily. For the life of me, I want to love horror films so much but they are so boring cause they all are so predictable. The sad thing is that my humor is closest to the explicitness of horror films and its a rare thing when I find a movie like Irreversible that I know isn't traditional horror, but at least shocking and inventive enough to really catch my interest. I just can't find any other film at that same temperature level that really excite me so I know more sick jokes than anyone should. Quentin Tarantino could make a beautiful horror film. I wish he would.
he did (sort of), it was called From Dusk Till Dawn.  i hope he makes another one though.  and i realize this is just an opinion you're sharing but i think there is probably just as many inventive horror movies as romantic comedies or thrillers or any of the genres neon mentioned.  the trouble with genres, is usually to qualify you have to fit the 'formula'.  the best you can hope for is a filmmaker who is AWARE of the formula enough to subvert it.  i thought Jeepers Creepers did that, although no one else seems to agree with me.  did you see it?

True he wrote From Dusk til Dawn, but i never had faith in his sole writing ventures cause I'm assuming he had some lack of faith in the material that kept him from directing it. When he writes something he wants to direct..then expectations rise up big time because we are going to get all of Tarantino so I still think he has yet to really do a horror film.. I didn't see Jeepers Creepers, but the idea of arguing which genre is more cliche is likely ludacris anyways cause you can't pin point it. I just happened to be annoyed by horror more than the rest, I guess.

Thrindle's next........

The Disco Kid

GT,

Whats the deal with the ghost scene near the end of The Shining in which Wendy encounters the guy in the woodchuck costume performing fellatio to the guy in a tuxedo? Does it have any real significance or is it just some bizarre shit Kubrick threw in for creepiness sake?

Ive seen the movie dozens of times and I like to think that Ive finally deciphered the true gist of it, but that scene has always, and continues to, baffle the living shit out of me. Any thoughts?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe critic Stanley Kauffmann said the major shift in film came with 2001: A Space Odyssey. He said that after that film, the focus on film became on technology instead of the human face. Even considering the praise of the film, its a correct statement. 2001 is a very respectable film, but an easily exploitive film. It was only a matter of time before Hollywood would correlate the special effects break through 2001 had into a pure entertainment vehicle and the result was Star Wars, one of the most influential films ever. Now styles are being repeated and the focus is on technology. Too many movies have a casual computer feeling to it compared to older films cause most movies can't escape the influence of computers.
If 2001 killed the human face, how do you explain the 70s? And can you give specific examples of this obsession with technology immediately following 2001? Star Wars is a pretty weak example... I mean, that was 10 years later...

molly

Quote from: ThrindleWell, seeing as it's late at night and I'm trying to find sleep (yet again) I thought I might 'exploit' you a little more...  So GT, would you forgive me for standing you up, even if my excuse was legitimate?  Would you allow me to sing in the car, while you were driving, without reaching to turn up the music?  Could I stay in my pajamas all day long (while watching movies) and would you still think I was cute?  Could I read you my poetry in the afternoon on the sundeck, and would you tell me you like it, no matter how meloncholy, melodramatic, or ridiculous it may be?

:-D

good question, i also want to hear the answer.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ThrindleSo GT, would you forgive me for standing you up, even if my excuse was legitimate?

In the long run, my heart would. Its just before I got to that point, careful payback would be in order. The following morning, at work, I'd convince everyone to tell you that I worked all day with my head down, refusing to even address my obvious sadness, keeping to myself. Then after work, when you'd obviously call me, I'd take with that fake optimism tone when I am sad but I'm trying to sound upbeat. I'd avvoid hanging out with you, wishing to be alone and then a few hours later, I'd pour out a huge email to you telling you all the past sins i went through on stuff like this and that I know it wasn't your fault, but I was truly hurt anyways, writing in my most poetic voice, illegally quoting emily dickinson and other poet the slave of inner loneliness. With the honesty of my own turmoil and acceptance it wasn't your fault, you'd fall into the biggest sympathy trap anyone could imagine.
Later that night, we'd meet up and talk about things. My emotions, situation and all and then when I tried to act sincerely happy, I'd look to you and say, "We've been talking about this for so long, we really need to talk about something else. Lighten up the mood. You know what I've always wanted to do? I know you'd never be interested but I feel tonight I really can be honest with you, open up my heart, you know. Its just I've always wanted to go cow tipping, play pranks like wiping a dollar bill on your ass and leaving it on the ground for people to pick up and going through drive thru fast food places and throwing pops in the windows at the people working there. Things that are just fun."
And in all the emotions of the night, you'd somehow agree to it like I was proposing marriage at the most romantic and right time possible. Ah how sympathy traps fucking rule!

Quote from: ThrindleWould you allow me to sing in the car, while you were driving, without reaching to turn up the music?

Absolutely, and not only that, I'd record your beautiful voice too; well, at least for when you sing over Radiohead songs so i could pull a goof on all my religiousradioheadfan friends and send it to them saying, "Hey, this is fucking singing guys! You know, actual notes in a voice! Not just a retard groveling over an expensive tape recorder!" The sheer prospects of anger to cause would be too good to not do it.
or: with your talent of actual singing (I have none), you could elimate all reason for me to even own a cd player in my car.

Quote from: ThrindleCould I stay in my pajamas all day long (while watching movies) and would you still think I was cute?

I'd definitely find you cute, but we must take into account your totalitarian love of good hygeine for yourself but mostly for others around you. See, I'd be with you in watching movies, pigging out on junk food and doing little activity so I'd likely not take a shower either. To really enjoy a pajama and all movie day, you have to hermit yourself from all appliances that don't make popcorn in two minutes or have dvds to insert into. So, after the long hours of a junk food blitz, your stomach will likely give up on this crusade cause at the end of the night and i leaned over to you, smiled (displaying beautiful yellow popcorn stained teeth) and asked, "Want to do the nasty?", you'd run to the nearest shower in complete horror. Oh, we both know that would be the end result. Don't deny it.

Quote from: ThrindleCould I read you my poetry in the afternoon on the sundeck, and would you tell me you like it, no matter how meloncholy, melodramatic, or ridiculous it may be?

You could and the words you chose to spoke wouldn't even matter. The moving picture I could stare at of you reading, looking up slightly, quietly smiling, would be enough. Added upon that the soundtrack of your voice and its enough to daze and dream with for hours. Pardon my french, but round two of questionnaire ends with a public confession from an asshole. Consider yourself blushed, consider myself slighlty embrassed.

Stefen

Wow, thrindle may be the worst kind of girlfriend in the history of civilazation. Watch out GT.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: StefenWow, thrindle may be the worst kind of girlfriend in the history of civilazation. Watch out GT.

Are you a fan of the history of modern warfare? See, I am. Lately, as with the American power shown in Iraq and Afghanistan, war has been moving to severe levels of technical precision instead of the usual ground troop power most people idealize with war. Last year, in Foreign Affairs, neo conservative war expert Max Boot statistically analyzed the success of the Afghanistan and Iraqi wars in terms of pure military take over with every other known and recorded war and made the bold statement of calling it "the most successful wars in human history". The military post Vietnam war has stayed as far possible from really depending on ground troops cause of the risks of men dying to conditions in foreign lands unforseeable to military strategists. Cause of the suffering that enslaved the men who fought in the Veitnam War, there likely will never be a draft again in the United States. Its really quite astonishing.
But, I love the details and stories of war when it was man on man and gun power had to deal with guerrila tactits that proved too tough to win. A great example of simple weaponery was in the Vietnam war when Vietnamese military, upon capturing US soldiers, sometimes would give them a certain type of torture I really loved: First, the soldier would be layed on the ground, each limb tied a post. Under his body, was a shard of bamboo growing from the earth. When placed under his body, it was just a sharp, consistent pain against the back of the soldier. But through the miracle of mother nature, bamboo happens to grow 2 feet a day. The Vietnamese soldiers would leave him there and thus, within two or three days, the soldier would slowly, but surely, be impaled. Now, if you don't want step 5 miles back from your nice little comment about Thrindle, I'll make your ass a modern day example of what Vietnamese torture can do to those who make blind comments from wrong angles. *Thank you for your criticism. Fuck you very much"

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenWow, thrindle may be the worst kind of girlfriend in the history of civilazation.

What? Thrindle embraces her slothness; is a movie-lover; is uninhibited in her 'amateurish' singing and writings abilities; honest; intelligent; funny, and...

...can xixax all day and canoodles like nobody's business. It's really a wonder why she's single.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

All that for Thrindle, and you don't respond to my simple question?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAll that for Thrindle, and you don't respond to my simple question?

I have to pace myself, really. Takes me a while to respond to simple questions and i should have responded to her yesterday. You're coming up, no doubt.

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: StefenWow, thrindle may be the worst kind of girlfriend in the history of civilazation.

What? Thrindle embraces her slothness; is a movie-lover; is uninhibited in her 'amateurish' singing and writings abilities; honest; intelligent; funny, and...

...can xixax all day and canoodles like nobody's business. It's really a wonder why she's single.

Poor gold trumpet would never have any time for himself. And if thrindle and gt got together they wouldn't spend muck time on xixax. GT would be to busy meeting all thrindles demands for a relationship. Sooner or later GT would grow a vagina out of thin air, and the first time he does come back to xixax he will start a thread just to gossip. I've seen it before.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: MacGuffin

Poor gold trumpet would never have any time for himself. And if thrindle and gt got together they wouldn't spend muck time on xixax. GT would be to busy meeting all thrindles demands for a relationship. Sooner or later GT would grow a vagina out of thin air, and the first time he does come back to xixax he will start a thread just to gossip. I've seen it before.

But you don't have to worry about these little problems, do you? See, your girlfriend is likely the girl who is happy to just be around you. Given little to do, you tell her everything to do. Picking out her wardrobes, what you think is hot and not. Fearing she may stray, you don't like the idea of her going out by herself so you forbid it and she's happy to stay at home when you feel like just chilling and then when you want to go out, nothing too revealing for her in what she wears and no looks or comments about any other guys. If you want a drink, no need to ask what she wants. She'll just have what you want. Bravo, Stefen, your girlfriend has been identitied as a fucking blow up doll ready and willing to orgasm at the press of a button cause you sent in for the "realistic" version, but hey, anything to be rid of all those problems you've "seen" happen in the real world. Now when you take a second glance at this thread, the role of a man in any situation of general charm with a lady requires a give and take in what each wants from the other. When Thrindle begins her "Ask Thrindle" thread, you can witness my taking.