Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: themodernage02ooh, i love heat.  probably the best movie of its kind since rififi.

ha!

haha!
context, context, context.

john

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
maybe it will have the infamous commentary PTA talks about, but considering the commentary belongs to Criterion and Warners is releasing this DVD, don't bet on it.

Oh yeah...I forgot about that track!

I'm happy with just the film itself, but that would be a real gem if they could score it.

I can't really think of any instances of Criterion leasing out any of their old features to Warners...but they've done it in general, right? Maybe not...I'm not sure.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

Quote from: johnFrom the digital bits:

"Also, Warner apparently revealed to the USA Today yesterday that it plans to release a Controversial Classics Collection on DVD on 5/10. The set will include I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932), Fury (1936), Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), Blackboard Jungle (1955), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Advise and Consent (1962) and The Americanization of Emily (1964). Each of these films dealt with "controversial" topics like race, homosexuality, violence, etc. On disc, each title is expected to include bonus materials specifically addressing the film's impact and legacy. We're waiting to hear more on this from the studio officially."

sorry, I know it's not official...and there's not a relase dat...but it obviously IS coming.

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK....goddamn, I've been waiting this DVD since 1998.

Great, great news. Fantastic, really.
great artwork found here: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5808&n=1&burl=
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang is a pretty good movie.  It isn't in the league of great Great Depression films like The Grapes of Wrath, but it is worth seeing.  It deals largely with the deplorable working conditions on chain gangs.

rustinglass

bliss....
a french 3 disc collector's edition
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

kotte

Quote from: rustinglassbliss....

Underground

a french 3 disc collector's edition

The soundtrack rocks...

john

Quote from: rustinglassbliss....
Underground ... a french 3 disc collector's edition

how is this? I've only seen Arizona Dream, as far as Kusturica goes....the French 2 disc of that is pretty wonderful.

i'd like to see what else this guy can do, because Arizona is one of my favorites.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

rustinglass

Quote from: john
i'd like to see what else this guy can do

what, besides making some of the best films in the last decade?...
he plays the guitar like fucking crazy!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: thedigitalbits.comFinally today, let's talk about the BIG Fox title you probably want to know about. No, not Episode III (although you can likely expect that to hit DVD in time for the holidays). We're talking about James Cameron's Titanic. Our industry sources have confirmed that a SERIOUS special edition is currently being worked on by Fox. You can expect it to follow a similar pattern to New Line's Lord of the Rings films on DVD - a 2-disc version and a more elaborate 4-disc edition. Both will feature a sparkling new anamorphic widescreen transfer of the film. Among the many extras you can expect are lots of deleted scenes and tons of "behind-the-scenes" material. Watch for it to be announced later this year for release in the 4th Quarter. As expected, it'll be released by Paramount here in the States, and Fox internationally.

pete

yeah, 'cause people totally still give a shit about titanic.
shitanic.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: peteyeah, 'cause people totally still give a shit about titanic.
shitanic.
nomoretitanic

cine

Gold Trumpet

Beyond any Criterion release, this is the DVD news I've anticipated the most:  

"To make DVDs of such RKO classics as Citizen Kane (a superb transfer, even though the original negative was burned in a warehouse fire), Bringing Up Baby (coming out next month), and a series of Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers films (five later this year, five next year), Warner executives have hunted down elements from as many as seven archives, in the United States and Europe, piecing together the best-preserved pieces from each to form the best-looking master."

http://slate.msn.com/id/2114143/sidebar/2114157/

modage

sweet.  i want to buy Swing Time, and i want to see more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Title: The Essential Steve McQueen Collection
Released: 7th June 2005
SRP: $68.92

Further Details
Warner has announced a seven-disc Essential Steve McQueen Collection which includes a new two-disc edition of Bullitt,  The Getaway and Papillon and the new-to-DVD titles The Cincinnati Kid, Never So Few and Tom Horn. The set will be available to own from the 7th June, priced at around $68.92. The films will also be available to own seperately. Extras on the new Bullitt set will include an audio commentary by Director Peter Yates, a Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Edition documentary narrated by Kathy Bates, a Steve McQueen: The Essence of Cool documentary on the complex man behind the image, and a vintage featurette entitled Bullitt: Steve McQueen's Commitment to Reality. Completing the set will be the films theatrical trailer. The Cincinnati Kid on the other hand, will include a commentary by the director Norman Jewison, a scene specific commentary with David Foley and Phil Gordon, the hosts of Bravo's "Celebrity Poker Showdown, an archival featurette entitled "The Cincinnati Kid Plays According to Hoyle" and the trailer. Lastly, The Getaway will include a commentary by DVD Producer Nick Redman, authors Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons & David Weddle, another "Virtual" audio commentary with stills featuring Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw and Sam Peckinpah and the films trailer. We'll bring you the artwork shortly.

just the other day i was thinking about buying bullitt, and then i remembered that any dvd that is not superpimp that warner bros owns, will be re-released in a super-edition.  actually i've tried to put off buying anything in those great cheap best buy ads too because, chances are, if its good, its getting a better dvd.