Great Films w/ Female Protag.

Started by nix, January 08, 2005, 03:12:02 PM

life_boy

Although I haven't seen it, I've read good things about Robert Altman's 3 Women (1977), starring Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall.  Altman can usually get strong performances out of anyone he works with, so I would assume this movie wouldn't be much different in that regard.

I will definately back up MacGuffin's recommendation for All About Eve.  That's just a great film, period.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: kotteThe Virgin Suicides...
...is really about the boys.

Quote from: kotteDogville
Now you're talking!
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Alethia

alice doesn't live here anymore
lola (jacques demy's version)
my life to live
the purple rose of cairo
whatever happened to baby jane?
a woman under the influence

Slimepuppy

Haven't seen it personally, but hear good things about Michelle Rodriguez in "Girlfight".

Ginger Snaps for some female perspective to the horror genre.

And, ahem, a certain Sarah Connor of Terminator fame.

As for an honest female "character dealing with the consequences" I would recommend Heaven w/ Cate Blanchett. Absolutely stunning.
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.

Alethia

Quote from: SlimepuppyHaven't seen it personally, but hear good things about Michelle Rodriguez in "Girlfight".

about the only good thing in that movie

Ultrahip

Amelie
A Very Long Engagement
Mulholland Dr.
Yellow Submarine...well not really but hey what a great flick!

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: life_boyAlthough I haven't seen it, I've read good things about Robert Altman's 3 Women (1977), starring Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall.

Holy cow...  this movie blew me away.  I bought it as a blind buy, because I love "Nashville," "Short Cuts" and Criterion.  Altman says this movie's story came to him in a dream, and it feels just like that; kinda random, out of nowhere.  The ending didn't completely work for me, but it was practically irrelevant anyway.  I've always liked Shelley Duvall, but after seeing this movie and hearing Altman's commentary about how much of her character was of her own doing, she's now one of my favorites.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Alethia

modage

Quote from: eward
Quote from: petered.

rouge.
moulin.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: eward
Quote from: petered.

rouge.
moulin.

:?:

Stefen

No Almodovar love in this thread? Okay, fine, I'll go with All About My Mother.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

life_boy

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop
Quote from: life_boyAlthough I haven't seen it, I've read good things about Robert Altman's 3 Women (1977), starring Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall.

Holy cow...  this movie blew me away.  I bought it as a blind buy, because I love "Nashville," "Short Cuts" and Criterion.  Altman says this movie's story came to him in a dream, and it feels just like that; kinda random, out of nowhere.  The ending didn't completely work for me, but it was practically irrelevant anyway.  I've always liked Shelley Duvall, but after seeing this movie and hearing Altman's commentary about how much of her character was of her own doing, she's now one of my favorites.  

2LB

I like Shelley Duvall too.  I have now read yet another good thing and am yet to see the film.  Criterion's are the easiest things in the world to blind buy, are they not?  Something about that label.  The siren's song...yet it is much of what it claims to be, usually.   But I digress.