Fassbinder

Started by pookiethecat, June 05, 2003, 10:49:24 PM

The Perineum Falcon

It's on Hulu. I think it's wonderfully weird and beautiful.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

analogzombie

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on November 20, 2011, 03:42:26 PM

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, signing up for the trial now.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Neil

Quote from: analogzombie on November 20, 2011, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on November 20, 2011, 03:42:26 PM

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, signing up for the trial now.

You will not be let down.  Over 200 Criterion films on there as well.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

The Perineum Falcon

Their channel on Hulu claims 549, but most do not have a proper Criterion release; there are, however, some instances of their future releases.

Oddly enough, WOaW is the only Fassbinder currently available.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

analogzombie

Finished World on a Wire. It has that very deliberate Fassbinder pace and a tremendous payoff, even if it loses it's resonance in the wake of all that have come after.

Looking forward to the Blu-Ray release but I don't think I could take it in one sitting in a theater.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

wiped_out

I have a few questions for some Fassbinder fans?

Were is the documentary about the making of Querelle? Where can one view that? something Babylon. I am dying to see it, Critierion should put both Querelle out and that documentary as a speical feature.

Why isnt Kamakazie 89 on DVD? Remasterd DVD please! In the mean time I will get the VHS!

Were is that documentary that was briefly shown in the special features of the Criterion BRD trilogy which feature the great actor, Kurt Raab, looking sickly, I think its a documentary about him dying from AIDS. Considering how much on a great actor Kurt Raab was why isnt that doc available?

Has anyone seen or heard about what I am talking about?

wiped_out

I think after I am done with finals I am taking a trip down to the Fassbinder foundation, I think they are based in the city, I am gonna pose these questions direct.

wilder

via criterionforum

Quote from: Cinephrenic
Films playing at American Cinemateque credits Janus Films for the following:

MARKETA LAZAROVA

and a bunch of Fassbinder:

THE BITTER TEARS OF PETRA VON KANT
LOLA
VERONIKA VOSS
FOX AND HIS FRIENDS
THE MERCHANT OF FOUR SEASONS
MOTHER KUSTERS GOES TO HEAVEN
THE AMERICAN SOLDIER
FEAR OF FEAR
SATAN'S BREW
CHINESE ROULETTE
EFFI BRIEST
BEWARE OF A HOLY WHORE
GODS OF THE PLAGUE
LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH

wilder

Bourbon Street Blues, a short film directed by Douglas Sirk and starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1979)
via The Seventh Art

Douglas Sirk is usually credited as being the co-director of Bourbon Street Blues, his final film from 1979. Even with this being the case, it still feels very much like one of his late-period melodramas, except the action transpires in a run-down apartment building rather than the pastel world of 50s suburbia. The film concerns an alcoholic, cockroach-fearing tenant who has failed to pay her rent and the argument that ensues between her, her landlady, and another resident of the building (played, very impressively, by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, an early known champion of the director). In true Sirk fashion, the scene, through several emotional monologues, evolves into a bittersweet parable about losing sight of your dreams and finding solace through an imagined reality. It feels like a strangely appropriate conclusion for a director who ended his career at what was, arguably, the height of his artistry.

wilder

Lincoln Center sets Fassbinder retrospective
via SCREENDAILY

Fassbinder: Romantic Anarchist (Part 1) is being dubbed the most extensive presentation of Fassbinder's films in New York since 1997 and runs from May 16-June 1.

The two-part series at the Film Society Of Lincoln Center will include all Fassbinder's theatrical features and much of his television work as well as films he starred in, films that influenced him and films influenced by his work.

Part 1 will cover almost all of Fassbinder's work leading up to 1974. Part 2 screens in November and will cover 1974-1982.

"Fassbinder worked practically at the speed of thought and left behind a body of work so improbably large, so packed with ideas and emotion and meaning, that we often still seem to be catching up with him," said Film Society director of programming Dennis Lim.

"In some ways, the time is always ripe for a Fassbinder retrospective. More than three decades after his death, he still looms large, a widespread influence and a singular force. His films are undimmed and untamed by the passage of time — more than that, many of them seem more vital than ever these days."

Fassbinder completed nearly 40 features between 1969 and 1982, when he died aged 37. Screenings include Ali: Fear Eats The Soul, The American Soldier, Love Is Colder Than Death and Whity.

wilder

Admin edit: Video is NSFW (workplace-dependent)

Fassbinder: Romantic Anarchist - Trailer for Lincoln Center's upcoming retrospective

wilder

Todd Haynes on the evolution of Fassbinder's narrative style, from Criterion's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul DVD:

wilder

Part II of the retrospective, November 7th - 26th at Film Society Lincoln Center