Gore Verbinski

Started by Spike, August 22, 2003, 01:42:51 PM

Spike

Any thoughts or opinions on Gore Verbinski?

"Mouse Hunt" was very funny and entertaining, "The Mexican" was quiet good. "The Ring" was frightening and one of the best remakes ever.

And "Pirates of the Caribbean" is after "The Return of the King" my most wanted film of this year (it'll be released on September 2 here in Germany).
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sleuth

I've only seen The Ring and I thought it was really good.  Way better than Ringu.
I like to hug dogs

IHeartPTA

oh god, i hated the ring, too long, not scary, in fact, i'm not a fan of the entire horror genre, so take my judgment with a grain of salt.

loved pirates, fun movie
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Ghostboy

I haven't seen The Mexican, and don't really plan to, but I've really enjoyed his other three films. I give him my official seal of approval....which means nothing, I know.

Pubrick

Quote from: magnoliacoh god, i hated the ring, too long, not scary, in fact, i'm not a fan of the entire horror genre, so take my judgment with a grain of salt.

loved pirates, fun movie
u hate everything. and everything hates u.. isn't it great when things work out like that?
under the paving stones.

IHeartPTA

heh, a lot of people say this about me, the fact that i spend too long complaining about the negatives, and not enough time on the positives. many people have also complained and asked me if i like any movie, because a lot of times when people mention a movie, i automatically goes, that sucks.

yes i'm willing to admit all of this.
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Sleuth

If you aren't a fan of the entire horror genre don't you think that the error lies on your side?
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: magnoliacyes i'm willing to admit all of this.
under the paving stones.

IHeartPTA

Quote from: tremoloslothIf you aren't a fan of the entire horror genre don't you think that the error lies on your side?

in a sense that i'm "missing out" on some of those movies, yes. i shouldn't say the entire horror genre because i loved 28 days later, the 1st nightmare on elm street, the 1st friday the 13th, night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, the thing, etc.

it's just a sense of sterotyping. when i think horror movies, i'm thinking sequels as far as the eye can see. i'm thinking, horribly acted b-movies, and money makers.

rustinglass

spoiler.

I really liked the ring, but I preferred ringu: It was scarrier, the rusty-dry-violin score aded to that; sadako was way more twisted than samantha; and the end is better because she is going to make the kid show the copy to her father.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alexandro

I haven't seen Ringu, but The Ring was pretty boring. Nothing scary at all except maybe the "video" in it...But that lasted like two seconds...The rest was predictable and boring. Everytime something "scary" was gonna happen, they warned you by the facial expressions of the actors...Naomi Watts was wasted, in my opinion...

The Mexican was ok but it dragged a little long, and Julia Roberts was ona very "look at me, I'm funny" mode all the time that became annoyong. The James Gandolfini parts were pretty good...

Mousehount, on the other hand, was great fun, and it wasn't long. Verbinski seems to be gettin away with long movies, but they are longer than they should.

POTC was kinda cool but it's nothing without Johnny Depp's performance, and it draggs, again...

He could go on to be a very important filmmaker but...i don't know...

bonanzataz

i agree COMPLETELY with alexandro. pirates was fun, but it does drag in parts. visually, i suppose he's good. i like the way his movies look, but that doesn't make a good movie OR a good director.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

'Mouse Hunt' was pure genius. I really liked his 'Ring' remake. I liked 'The Mexican' and its whistly little theme music. Haven't seen 'Pirates' yet.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

modage

Murro Replacing Verbinski on The Ring 2
Source: Variety Tuesday, November 4, 2003

DreamWorks is moving forward with The Ring 2, hiring commercials director Noam Murro to helm the second installment of the horror hit, which Naomi Watts will once again topline.

The studio is preparing to start filming The Ring sequel in January, aiming to release the film in November, 2004.

Murro replaces Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl), who directed the first film, which generated $129 million at the domestic box office, and an additional $120 million overseas.

The sequel will bring back Watts and David Dorfman, as well as screenwriter Ehren Kruger. The plot is being kept tightly under wraps at the studio.

Murro caught the attention of DreamWorks executives with a darkly toned "Got Milk?" commercial he directed for the California Milk Processor Board that features a boy who can predict unfortunate future events.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

'Pirates' sequels capture Skarsgard, Harris

Stellan Skarsgard and Naomie Harris are boarding Walt Disney Pictures' back-to-back sequels to "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl." The sequels reunite the main players in the 2003 blockbuster: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley star, Gore Verbinski directs, Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio write and Jerry Bruckheimer produces. In the new films, Skarsgard will play Bloom's long-lost father, and Harris will play a gypsy queen. Disney's Brigham Taylor is overseeing. "Pirates 2" is scheduled for a summer 2006 release. Shooting is to start in early March in Los Angeles and the Caribbean. "Pirates 2" reunites Skarsgard with Bruckheimer; the actor appeared in last year's "King Arthur," which Bruckheimer produced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks