A Guns 'n' f$!@ing Roses thread

Started by jtm, December 09, 2003, 09:48:30 PM

NEON MERCURY

..guns n roses are phucking great man......lies is underrrated album.. they are the best band to crank up when your drunk and you want to phuck up your head and smash it against a dumpster that you puke in ....damn, i miss those days........and "estranged"   is classic.....

Quote from: Pas Rapport
AC DC sucks though.

....you are correct ......

modage

forgive me if this has already been mentioned but how about the scene in Cant Hardly Wait when Charlie Korsmo gets drunk and sings Paradise City in front of everyone.  haha, thats pretty great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jtm

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..."estranged" is classic...

yes, yes it is.

Sigur Rós

Buckethead Quits Gn'R

Guitarist departs before Rock in Rio appearance

Enigmatic masked guitarist Buckethead has left Guns n' Roses after four years of service.
According to reports, Buckethead, whose name refers to the inverted Kentucky Fried Chicken tub he wears on his noggin, had grown tired of idle time spent in the troubled Gn'R, which hasn't released a new album in a decade. The group made some motions towards a comeback in late 2002 with a winter tour, its first in nine years, but weeks after its troubled launch, the whole tour was cancelled.

Having released more than ten albums in the past decade, Buckethead seems most comfortable doing regular work. He has a pair of solo albums slated for release this summer, and he's also recorded with Primus frontman Les Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains ensemble along with keyboardist Bernie Worrell and drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia, who also has been playing with Guns n' Roses. Buckethead is also in the middle of a solo tour that runs through the middle of April.

As for Guns, there is no word as to whether the group would replace Buckethead. The most recent lineup included a pair of guitarists (Robin Finck and Richard Fortus) along with two keyboardists (Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman) and bassist Tommy Stinson. The delay of the group's new Chinese Democracy has caused other headaches for frontman Axl Rose. The group's label, Geffen, had assembled a Greatest Hits collection during the downtime, the release of which Rose tried unsuccessfully to block.

Source: Rolling Stone

mogwai

from nme.com:

Axl Rose's wig quits Guns N Roses

Axl Rose with wig in happier times.

No other information is available as we speak.

Sigur Rós

Dude that's not a wig. He stole that hair from the singer in 4 Non Blondes.

jtm

with all this news i suspect something bigs going down.

godardian

So, I bought the new issue of Spin because:

A) It contains a long-ish Morrissey interview.

B) Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover story. They all hate each other!!  :shock:

...but in the review section, there is a very long and intricate review of Chinese Democracy by Guns 'n Roses. Then, in the sidebar:

FAST FACTS
1. The album's working title for much of 1994 and '95 was Chinese Theocracy.

2. To capture a specific drum sound, Rose coated the walls of his home studio with four inches of wet adobe from the Sonoran Desert.

3. Two weeks before his death in 2002, ex-Clash frontman Joe Strummer contributed guitar for a song tentatively titled "Janky Holocaust." However, Rose eventually dropped the track, citing "dehydration."

4. The liner notes include Rose's complete voting record, dating to 1992.

5. This version of Chinese Democracy only exists in an alternative reality ruled by the fools of April.

:bravo:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

hahahaha!!! this should be more fun than 'the darkness'!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: sigurrós on March 19, 2004, 05:00:59 PM
Buckethead Quits Gn'R

I don't know what's more exciting... GnR being further stymied from making a new album or Buckethead coming out with a new album.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

(interesting read from wikipedia.org)

Chinese Democracy is a long-delayed album from Guns N' Roses that is in production with no officially announced release date. The album marks a drastic change in line-up of the band, as many members left or were fired throughout the 1990s. This also marks the first Guns N' Roses album of original material since the 1991 double release Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II.

Music
New songs peformed by the Guns N' Roses touring band from 2001-2002 include "Chinese Democracy," "Madagascar," "Oh My God" (appeared on the End of Days soundtrack), "Riyadh and the Bedouins," "The Blues," and "Silkworms." In 2006, it was confirmed that the songs "Silkworms" and "Riyadh and the Bedouins" would not be on the upcoming album.

Composer Marco Beltrami worked on orchestral arrangements for tracks titled "Thyme," "The General," "Leave Me Alone," and "Seven" in October 2002. Composer Paul Buckmaster did the same for "Madagascar," "The Blues," "There Was a Time," and "Prostitute."

Axl Rose said in a January 2006 interview with Rolling Stone that his favorite songs on the upcoming album are "Better," "There Was a Time," and "The Blues".

"Ides of March" is another known title. The following names were mentioned throughout the past six years in various sources:

"Atlas Shrugged"
"Catcher in the Rye"
"Closing in on You"
"Cock-a-Roach Soup"
"Friend or Foes"
"Hearts Always Get Killed"
"Never Had It"
"Leave Me Alone"
"No Love Remains"
"Oklahoma"
"Prosperous Chili"
"Quick Song"
"Seven"
"Something Always"
"Strange Disease"
"Suckerpunched"
"The General"
"This I Love"
"Thyme"
"Today, Tomorrow, Forever"
"Zip It"
"Zodiac"

Sound
In 1999, a song then intended to appear on the album entitled "Oh My God" was released on the End of Days soundtrack. It featured current members Rose, Stinson, and Reed as well as Paul Tobias and then-drummer for the group Josh Freese. Dave Navarro and Gary Sunshine also did guitar work on this industrial-sounding track.

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash is reported to have left the band in large part because of the change in musical direction, which at the time was reported to be industrial music similar to Nine Inch Nails, which Rose had long been a fan of.

The songs which the band performed during the 2001–2002 tour varied heavily in sound. "The Blues" and "Madagascar" were "November Rain"–esque epics, while "Riyadh and the Bedouins" and "Silkworms" were progressive-industrial songs. "Chinese Democracy" can be best described as grunge. Rose said in an interview that the band hadn't yet brought out the "big guns" on the 2002 tour—which ended prematurely after a riot in Philadelphia.

On January 13, 2006, Axl Rose spoke about the album at Korn's tour launch party. He said:

It's a very complex record, I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.' But you'll like at least a few songs on there.

The Leaks
In September 2003, radio DJ Eddie Trunk played a new Guns N' Roses song entitled "I.R.S." on his syndicated radio show Friday Night Rocks with Eddie Trunk. This was at the insistence of New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza which had appearently received a CD in the mail. This prompted the band's management to issue a verbal cease-and-desist order. Trunk described the song as "...Use Your Illusion-era stuff, with some modern flairs to it. The song had a loop track in the beginning, but then, when it kicked in, it was that same dramatic Guns N' Roses hard rock." All replays of the show had IRS and all mentions of it cut out from the original broadcast.

In April 2005, an excerpt of the song "I.R.S." (duration - 3:39) leaked on the Internet. The only part of the song missing was the intro. The band's management referred to it as a "low quality demo", but it was most likely a recording of Eddie Trunk's broadcast of the song from 2003.

In February 2006 an incredible shock came to the Guns community. A full studio demo of "I.R.S.", clocking in at 4:16, surfaced online. This demo came straight from a CD, and the quality was much of an improvement to the first "I.R.S." leak. Along with "I.R.S" a 1:20 minute version of the song "Better" leaked. "There Was A Time"/"T.W.A.T." was leaked soon after. Soon enough another version of "Better" leaked which was 2:06 minutes. Finally after a short wait, the final and complete track leaked. A number of days later, a 9-second clip of the track "Catcher in the Rye" was leaked. Soon thereafter, a longer, and most likely complete version of "Catcher in the Rye" leaked with a running time of 5:37. An interesting note is that "Catcher" is supposed to be from '99. Buckethead is no where on the track which also supports the theory of it being from '99. Brian May has confirmed he did in fact play on "Catcher". "Catcher" has an unknown leaker. Not too long after all that, on March 8th, "Better" leaked once again, but in instrumental form.

Eddie Trunk confirmed that "Better" and "Catcher in the Rye" were not on his CD. The leaker of IRS, Better, and T.W.A.T. said they were on the same CD. This would point to at least 3 CD's that had all the leaked tracks.

Production and collaboration
Longtime Guns N' Roses producer, Mike Clink, is said to have worked on the album for a short time during the beginning of the conception of the album.

Former Killing Joke member and Verve producer Youth also worked on the album. Songwriter and producer Moby turned down an offer to work on the album.

In 1997, former Nine Inch Nails and Pantera producer Sean Beavan, along with Axl himself, assumed the production duties (at this stage the album was focused on an industrial sound). Beavan was out of the project in 1999, after which former Queen producer Roy Thomas Baker was brought in to co-produce with Rose. Baker left the project in February of 2002 after re-recording the album with intentions of producing a more epic sound. Rose became sole producer of the project, re-recording the album yet again.

The band has also worked with numerous collaborators over the years, including guitarists Brian May (Queen) and Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction). In March 2006, Brian May confirmed that he played guitar for the track "Catcher in the Rye". As mentioned above, Marco Beltrami and Paul Buckmaster worked on orchestral arrangements for the album.

NBA star Shaquille O'Neal guest rapped with the band in the studio. After a chance meeting with the band in a recording studio, the hoops great took a break from his own session and rapped over a GNR track with the band. "I saw Guns N' Roses listed on the bulletin board in the lobby of the studio so I stuck my head in to check it out," says O'Neal. "They asked me to join them, so I started freestylin' over their track. It was the first time I ever performed with a rock group, and it felt good." The track O'Neal worked on will reportedly not be included on Chinese Democracy, but instead, one of its "sequels" to the album that Axl has planned.

Length
There has been some conflicting information about the length of the album. At London, Docklands UK in August 2002, in which Guns N' Roses played a set, Rose stated that the album was to contain eighteen songs with ten bonus tracks. Bassist Stinson, however, said in an interview in November 2004 that the album contained "ten or eleven" songs.

Rose said in January 2006 that the band was working on 32 songs, of which 26 were near completion. Of those 26 songs, Rose said 13 will be featured on Chinese Democracy.

Current status
When guitarist Buckethead left Guns N' Roses in March 2004, Rose issued a statement on the matter that included a notice that an announcement concerning the album's release date would arrive in a "few months."

In December 2004, Guns N' Roses' manager Merck Mercuriadis became the CEO of Sanctuary Music Group. In January 2005, Rose signed a publishing deal with Sanctuary, which covered past and future work by Rose, including "dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music."

According to a March 2005 New York Times article, production costs for the album have reached $13 million, probably the most expensive recording ever. Mercuriadis, however, refuted the article in a letter to the Times and claimed that the newspaper's sources for the article had not been involved in the project for "six to nine years."

In September 2005, Rose reportedly told a group of fans in Malibu that the album might be released in early 2006 and that the band is looking to put a song on the soundtrack for the movie The Da Vinci Code.

In December 2005, Amazon.com had a listing for Chinese Democracy. The price was marked at $21.49 and the release date was December 31, 2025, which was the temporary date set for all new unconfirmed releases. However, no tracklisting or label information was provided. The listing was removed a few days later. That same month, Slash spoke to WMMR in Philadelphia and said that he can't wait to hear Axl's new record in March. When asked by the host if he meant the long awaited Chinese Democracy album would be out in March, Slash clarified that the March release date should hold up, despite Axl's track record with failing to meet prior release dates.

Rose implied during a January 2006 interview with Rolling Stone that the album would be released in 2006. This claim was recently confirmed by Slash who indicated to British music magazine the New Musical Express that the album would be released in March 2006. However, as the end of March approaches, and with no press release, this given release date is starting to look rather unlikely.

On March 3rd, 2006, Axl Rose filed court papers to ask for "ownership of all creative works" by Guns n' Roses. This is not expected to delay the albums release, and according to Guns n Roses manager, Merck Mercuriadis, "This will not delay the new album - quite the opposite - tying up these loose ends allows us to get on with it."

Title conflicts
In 2003, punk band The Offspring announced that they would be naming their upcoming album Chinese Democracy in a dig on the long delayed GNR title. "You snooze, you lose. Axl ripped off my braids, I ripped off his album title" Offspring singer Dexter Holland was quoted as saying, in reference to the similarity in hairstyle between Axl's and Dexter's a few years earlier. However, Axl Rose filed a cease and desist order against the Offspring, and a few months later The Offspring retracted their threat and went on to name their album Splinter.

In July 2005, The Ants, a band from Kansas, and Nashville's Ole Mossy Face released a split EP entitled Chinese Democracy. According to the press release (PDF), the album has "everything and nothing to do with the delayed and yet to be released Guns N' Roses album of the same name."

In September 2005, the Finnish band The Dogshit Boys released their fifth album, which also bears the name Chinese Democracy.

MacGuffin

Axl Rose Says New Album Coming March 6

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fans waiting for the notorious decade-in-the-making Guns N' Roses album, "Chinese Democracy," are going to have to wait a little longer. Axl Rose now says it will hit stores March 6.

Seven months ago, the 44-year-old rock recluse emerged from seclusion and claimed "Chinese Democracy" would be out before the end of the year. The Guns frontman affirmed the 2006 release plan during the MTV Video Music Awards in late August, and his manager, Merck Mercuriadis, indicated the same to Rolling Stone in October.

But disillusioned fans began questioning the prospects of a 2006 release when the band's North American tour, which kicked off in October, rolled into December with no mention of the album. A Harley-Davidson commercial that used a track from the unreleased album was abruptly and inexplicably pulled. Music gurus began wondering if the 2006 date was a cash-grab aimed at selling more concert tickets.

On Thursday, Rose issued a statement on his Web site apologizing for the delay.

"To say the making of this album has been an unbearably long and incomprehensible journey would be an understatement," he said. "Overcoming the endless and seemingly insanity of the obstacles faced by all involved, not withstanding the emotional challenges endured by everyone -- the fans, the band, our road crew and business team -- has at many times seemed like a bad dream in which one wakes up only to find they are still in the nightmare."

Rose went on to blame legal issues, "complications" with tour scheduling and album/video plans, and a "lack of respect" by the band's management. He announced that manager Mercuriadis had been fired, and he canceled four concerts scheduled for next month.

Mercuriadis, who has coddled and motivated Rose out of his decade-long, hermit-like hiatus, issued his own statement, blaming the missed deadline on Rose's creative juices drying up. He said recording sessions were booked in London, Los Angeles and New York during the tour, "but the muse did not show."

He said he opted to press ahead with the tour without a single or album because "we needed the money to be able to complete the album and keep the band alive."

Still, Mercuriadis appeared to take the high road.

"Until you have walked a mile in his shoes you cannot begin to comprehend the pressure he is under," Mercuriadis said of Rose.

"In the end the album will speak for itself," he said, "but our relationship could not survive the pressure."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Not sure if this is the same... but I've worked for a long time in the music industry and have some good contacts. I found a bootleg a while ago of what supposedly is the new GNR album. It has new songs... maybe this is it? Not sure, as this says March and maybe the final one is not ready...

MacGuffin

Is Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy Finally On The Way? New Reports Suggest It Is
Rumors surface about possible November release date for band's long-delayed album.
By Chris Harris; MTV

After years of inveterate delays, empty promises and false alarms, it looks like hell's first-ever snowball fight could go down this November. That's if the latest reports on Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy — an LP the band's sole original member, Axl Rose, has been working on for well over a decade with a handful of producers, racking up a production bill estimated at more than $13 million — are to be believed.

While there's been no official announcement yet (per usual), it seems we may finally be close to a genuine, authentic, set-in-stone release date for Rose's long-awaited magnum opus. But of course, Rose's manager, Andy Gould, won't confirm recent reports that the sixth GN'R album could be in stores before year's end. MTV News contacted Gould's office last week to inquire about the release date but were told he wouldn't be commenting. (The release date of Chinese Democracy has been prematurely expected so many times that we wrote a Newsroom blog post about all the false alarms back in July.)

Yet, according to Rolling Stone's Web site, Gould reportedly told 900 Best Buy employees — during some sort of mystery convention held last week in Dallas — that Chinese Democracy would hit the streets on November 25; Interscope last listed the album's release date as March 2007. Gould also declared that the record would be a Best Buy exclusive, and even previewed three of the album's tracks — this all according to a man who claims his nephew works for Best Buy and was present for the big reveal.

Several calls left with Best Buy's public-relations department were not returned as of press time, but this deal has been rumored for weeks, with several news outlets citing unnamed sources "close to the negotiations" who claimed the release of the disc was imminent. Meanwhile, other rumors have suggested Wal-Mart would be the album's exclusive retail carrier.

In what some believe is a strong sign we could be closer than ever before to hearing Chinese Democracy, one song from the oft-delayed record, "If the World," was chosen to accompany the closing credits of Leonardo DiCaprio's forthcoming film, "Body of Lies," which hits theaters nationwide October 10. A mastered version of the same song — which is a speedy, riff-heavy tune, reminiscent of "Night Train" and "Dead Horse" — leaked online earlier this year.

It's worth noting that, way back in 1991, GN'R's track "You Could Be Mine" was the second to surface from the band's perpetually postponed Use Your Illusion albums, and it also appeared on the soundtrack to "Terminator 2: Judgment Day." At the time, some hinted that the song's inclusion on the film's soundtrack helped encourage Axl and the boys to push forward the albums' release date. The first song released from those conceptual companion efforts was "Civil War," which appeared on a charity compilation in 1990.

The first recent sign that the release of Chinese Democracy could be nigh came this summer, when Harmonix and MTV Games announced that "Shackler's Revenge," a track from the album, would be making its worldwide debut on the forthcoming game "Rock Band 2." So, while questions of "if" and "when" continue to remain unanswered, the signs are there, giving fans new hope that Rose will soon deliver on his decade-long promise. But, as with everything in Guns N' Roses Land, nothing's official until Axl says so.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Will Dr. Pepper make due with their promises, I wonder...

Dr Pepper Sweetens Pot For 'Chinese Democracy'

March 26, 2008 , 11:30 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Many have tried, but so far nobody has been able to pry the decade-in-the-works Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" from the hands of lone remaining original member Axl Rose.

Now, Dr Pepper thinks it's up to the challenge. The soft drink company says it will give a free can of Dr Pepper to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" arrives anytime during the calendar year 2008.

"It took a little patience to perfect Dr Pepper's special mix of 23 ingredients, which our fans have come to know and love," Dr Pepper director of marketing Jaxie Alt says. "So we completely understand and empathize with Axl's quest for perfection -- for something more than the average album. We know once it's released, people will refer to it as 'Dr Pepper for the ears' because it will be such a refreshing blend of rich, bold sounds - an instant classic."

Dr Pepper has also launched a blog in conjunction with its offer. GNR's label, Interscope, was unavailable for comment at deadline.

"Chinese Democracy" was most recently scheduled for release on March 6, 2007, but promptly vanished from the schedule without a new date being set. It will be the first Guns N' Roses album since the 1993 covers collection "The Spaghetti Incident"; in the ensuing decade, the group has burned through a reported $13 million in recording expenses.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye