I don't like myself sometimes..

Started by aclockworkjj, May 18, 2003, 02:41:44 AM

aclockworkjj

Anyone else see just how great of a scene this is in PDL?...I mean come on, guards down....we all do shit we regret....and granted this scene exaggerates it a little, but still.....I think there is a lot of truth to it.

godardian

Oh yeah, and then when he starts to cry... I actually got a little pissed off at the people in the audience who snickered. It was an emotionally naked moment, which you don't see a lot of male characters get. And you definitely weren't expecting it from Adam Sandler.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

The Silver Bullet

I know that I personally connected with it on the level that I knew exactly what he was talking about. To go and tell someone, also. Really quite something.

And what got me was how much I thought, "That is so PTA talking through his characters. That was PTA, not Barry." And that, for me, was the thing that ran throughout the entire film. How much of Anderson was really in it.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

oakmanc234

I love this scene. A very quiet, mature and saddening scene. This is the point in the flick where you really realise that this guy has problems. It didn't really hit me until after it ended (when Barry's in the supermarket). Thinking back to it makes me think what an upsetting scene it is.

Many people in the cinema thought it was a joke for a moment. Then there was deathly silence.

The scene is genius. This guy reaching out for help from someone he hardly knows, who is less than compassionate. He says he cries sometimes for no reason, then he begins to cry. Sandler's awkward cry in particular was so shamed, the kind of cry where you're trying not to cry, but it just explodes out.

The scene is f***in' genius.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

godardian

Quote from: oakmanc234I love this scene. A very quiet, mature and saddening scene.

Many people in the cinema thought it was a joke for a moment. Then there was deathly silence.

The scene is genius. This guy reaching out for help from someone he hardly knows, who is less than compassionate. He says he cries sometimes for no reason, then he begins to cry. Sandler's awkward cry in particular was so shamed, the kind of cry where you're trying not to cry, but it just explodes out.

Yes, that was exactly how I felt about it. I love how PTA shows how embarrassing not being able to contain your emotions can be... it makes it even more of an emotional experience that way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

aclockworkjj

being vulnerable isn't always a bad thing....

The Silver Bullet

I have to say that I don't think there was anything overly special about the way Sandler cried. It was a pretty run-of-the-mill Adam Sandler comic cry. Normally, that baby act would get a joke. So it [for me] has nothing to do with the "sort of cry" it is [because it isn't a special sort], but what Anderson constructs around it that makes it work. In this case, all he needed to rework an fairly average and as-per-usual Sandler moment was one line, "Sometimes I cry for no reason." The cleverness of the moment is all Anderson, simply because he knows how alter meaning so fluently.

My two, overtly analytical, two cents.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

©brad

i like the scene a lot, but i do not think its right to punish ppl for laughing a bit during it. i kinda wanted to chuckle for a second. there is a level of humor in the scene, which in a way makes it even more sad.

godardian

Quote from: cbrad4di like the scene a lot, but i do not think its right to punish ppl for laughing a bit during it. i kinda wanted to chuckle for a second. there is a level of humor in the scene, which in a way makes it even more sad.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't waiting around afterwards in the lobby, pounding my fist into the palm of my hand ominously while glaring at the offenders... it just irritated me. I lived with it. It wasn't like people TALKING during a movie, or anything.

And there is some humor in the scene, "But Barry... I'm a dentist," etc. I just felt that people who were laughing while he was crying was a little insensitive and not really very perceptive to what was going on. And I thought the line, "I don't know... 'cos I don't how other people are" was brilliant, because in my opinion, there's no such thing as "normal," but we all live with the insecurity that somehow we're not, that other people have it figured out and we don't. I loved that. That was very poignant to me.

Sleuth

My one line review of PDL seems relevant in this case

"A great movie in which nearly every second is 40% funny but 60% sad"

peace
I like to hug dogs

Victor

my favorite blurb for the film was in a tv spot i saw:

A Romantic Comedy on the edge...
On the edge of being romantic.
On the edge of being a comedy.
On the edge...of sanity.

and "I dont like myself sometimes" is my favorite line in the whole movie.

There was this other scene in the script that is so fucking terrificly funny and sad and i hope it makes DVD so I wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt read it but: theres another line like that in the scene, where he goes "I get really sick of myself sometimes". that too, beautiful. yes yes.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ernie

Quote from: oakmanc234

Same thing at the theatre I saw it at. I was part of the moment. I chuckled for like 2 seconds just at the whole irony of him crying just as he was talking about crying...then realized he was crying for a little longer than I expected (at this point, I shut up really fast)...then he started to cower and stumble behind the wall...and my jaw fucking dropped, I was about to just bawl.

PTA almost made me laugh and then cry in an interval about two seconds...that is fucked. The scene is too good, seriously. The man is a genius the way he set up that scene. If it were suppose to be funny, like if it were in the usual Sandler comedy...it would have cut right after Barry's hands hit his face, right after he starts crying. It would have been intended to be funny. I wouldn't have stopped laughing so suddenly. PTA isn't that simple and unrealistic, he's better than that.

MrBurgerKing

What makes the scene sadder is that the dentist guy doesn't hesitate to tell Barry's sister about the crying / asking for the therapist. Barry actually makes it worst for himself by letting out his feelings.

Has anyone experienced that kind of "back-stabbing" (I put it in quotes because the dentist's motivations probably were'nt harsh) before?  I'm not talking about going to the drive-through and getting the wrong order, but how about trusting someone who ends up betraying you?

Am I some kind of philosopher?

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: cbrad4di like the scene a lot, but i do not think its right to punish ppl for laughing a bit during it. i kinda wanted to chuckle for a second. there is a level of humor in the scene, which in a way makes it even more sad.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't waiting around afterwards in the lobby, pounding my fist into the palm of my hand ominously while glaring at the offenders... it just irritated me. I lived with it. It wasn't like people TALKING during a movie, or anything.

And there is some humor in the scene, "But Barry... I'm a dentist," etc. I just felt that people who were laughing while he was crying was a little insensitive and not really very perceptive to what was going on. And I thought the line, "I don't know... 'cos I don't how other people are" was brilliant, because in my opinion, there's no such thing as "normal," but we all live with the insecurity that somehow we're not, that other people have it figured out and we don't. I loved that. That was very poignant to me.

I love the scene, but I was also one of those who laughed... loud. When he says he's been crying, then there's a beat, then he starts to cry.... fucking hilarious. I dunno, the 2nd and 3rd times I saw this I found myself laughing all the time. I think PTA meant the whole thing to play funny and serious at the same time. Like a depth thing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: godardian

I love the scene, but I was also one of those who laughed... loud. When he says he's been crying, then there's a beat, then he starts to cry.... fucking hilarious. I dunno, the 2nd and 3rd times I saw this I found myself laughing all the time. I think PTA meant the whole thing to play funny and serious at the same time. Like a depth thing.

In much of the movie I felt contradicting emotions simultaneously.  It just shows amazing writing.