Check this out folks... (another list) Guardian list

Started by SoNowThen, November 14, 2003, 10:56:31 AM

SHAFTR

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: SHAFTRI still think Tarantino should be higher, on influence alone.  Nice to see Wes and PTA on the list as well.  Coen Bros seemed a little high...

The Coens are never high enough, man. You should know that.

Would you agree it should just be Joel Coen.  Ethan doesn't direct.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Ghostboymandates that I include myself amongst the future success stories.
lemme buy you a drink at the oscar after party...sonowthen and pedro can come too.

hehehehe.

Xixax mike will be nominated for 4 "best actor" awards that night...let's indulge.  and check out some hot hollywood ass in the corner, wit our drinks...laughing in our egotismistic melodies...

I will never be invited/nominated for an Oscar. I would however like to be the first guy with a non-lesbian/non-suicide movie to win an Independant Spirit award... :wink:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: SHAFTRI still think Tarantino should be higher, on influence alone.  Nice to see Wes and PTA on the list as well.  Coen Bros seemed a little high...

Ethan doesn't get credited with directing, but they both helm their films.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

People too high on list: Lynch, Scorsese, Soderbergh, Malick, Ramsay, Almovadar, Haynes, Payne, and Fincher.

Guys who should not be touching list: Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and the Wachowski brothers.

Happy Surprise (could also be higher): Hayao Miyazaki.

Missing from list: DGG, Fernando Meirelles, Steven Speilberg, Roman Polanski.

All else are fine or I dont know enough about them. But really, I don't give a shit. I'm having a hard time finding stuff to post on these days.

RegularKarate

I have to admit that some of these directors I'm not very familiar with and that makes me both sad and excited.

I love this list because it doesn't really pander much to the obvious (who needs to argue about Bergman VS. Welles? We've all seen these movies and are just now arguing details and opinion).

I went through this list and have now added a few movies to my Netflix list and am excited to see them when they arrive.

Can someone help me out with Béla Tarr though?  I guess his movies aren't convential (or short) enough for DVD?  Can anyone shed some light on him, he's the only one I really don't know a thing about.

The only one on the list I'm adamant about not deserving to be on that list is Gaspar Noé.  I think he's very Guy Ritchie... just a bunch of bullshit to cover up the lack of talent.

aclockworkjj

RegularKarate

yeah... read that... anyone seen his stuff or know of him?

coffeebeetle

QuoteAnd I most certainly would NOT put Lynch in the number one spot...

though I'm gonna get lynched for saying that, aren't I?

String me up too man!  Lynch SUCKS.  :P
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: coffeebeetle
QuoteAnd I most certainly would NOT put Lynch in the number one spot...

though I'm gonna get lynched for saying that, aren't I?

String me up too man!  Lynch SUCKS.  :P

No, YOU suck...
Si

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: SHAFTR

Ethan doesn't get credited with directing, but they both helm their films.

Yeah. They write together and although the credits don't say so, they produce and direct together.
Si

Alexandro

the fact that steven spielberg is not on that list blws away any shred of credibility in it...he's the most succsesful director of all times, and he makes pretty much only good to great movies and he's always true to his vision. i don't wanna think is envy what didn't got there, but if it's not envy, then it's some kind of blind criticism from these people...either way I wouldn't trust them that much...

(the wachowski brothers and no spielberg??? please)

SoNowThen

Remember, it says 40 Best Directors "leading the way". It's a NOW list. From 1999 on, I'd say the Matrix was quite a bit more important and "leading the way" than AI, Minority Report, and Catch Me If You Can.

Really, the only weird name on the list is Malick (even though I love him).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenReally, the only weird name on the list is Malick (even though I love him).

Yeah.  At least I got to see what he looks like...

...exactly how I pictured him.

SoNowThen

He's in Badlands, as the guy who comes to the door of the rich man's house (I think he was supposed to be an engineer??).

NEON MERCURY

::leans back in his chair cracks open a beer(light beer) and gives a smirk::

HA!....RIGHT AFTER I STARTED THAT THREAD ABOUT "SOMETHING THAT IS TRUE BUT NO ONE ADMITS'..BAM!!THIS LIST POPS UP ABOUT MY MAN LYNCH BEING NUMERO UNO...! I TOLD YOU GUYS THIS........ :wink: ......LYNCH IS THE BEST ..I CANNNOT STRESS TO THESE SO-CALLED 'FILM BUFFS' ENOUGH THE GENIUS OF HIM..MAYBE SOME OF YOU GUYS NEED TO WATCH SOMETHING ON YOUR LEVEL..HAY!!!THE LAST SAMURIA IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER..GO SEE THAT THEN..... :wink:

as for the wachowshi's that just stupid..if ther're on that list what about mcG..??
or danny devito..