NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I'd really be okay if I could never play a console again. I'd miss Soul Calibur, but that's about it.

NEON MERCURY

ono,[/size]

#1  i still dont understand why people think trigger is better?  i dont think i will be able to convince you either...but its just better.   :yabbse-wink:

#2 i was actaully about to buy tactics.  btu whats the deal with that game? is like a "real" final fantasu  game or is it all fighting and no story line/character developement.  i am thinking its more of a strategy like the old shining force games  on the sega genesis.  right/wrong?

#3 since you play alot of ps1 rpgs, what can you recommend other than what you  hav ementioned?

#4.1  i  would like to try the suikoden series but in order for me to do so i need a ps2.

#4.2   IMO the ps2 is the worst system.  and i have valid points to back it up.
>the hardware sucks.  i went through 2 of them . and i know (many) poeple who have doen the same.  "disk  read error" ..............
>not that graphics always make theh  better game..its all about gameplay.  but the ps2 is the graphically weaker of the three systems.  its "the little engine that could" mentality that runs the ps2.
>fucking prehiperials that are wastes of money the memory cards[xbox saves your shit on the hard drive[hence no memory cards to par for] and speaking of hard drives   the ps2 add on hard drive sucks.  whats the point  of paying all the money for just final fantasy online.  good job sony :yabbse-thumbup:

#5  although i am not a member [yet].  xbox live  is a huge thing.  and from what i   have read/ heard its only going to get better/bigger.  sony is trying to  make its online thign going but....uh, as you can see......nothing. with xbox live [xbl] besides all the online play you can also download new  content for your games.  which adds new life to them.  some free some charge $5...but its worth it.  sony is goign to try to cash in on the online thing.  microsoft has a huge lead already in that department.

#6  how/why  is   ffvi  overrated?

#7 i  think that the ps2 is the hollywood.  its the most popular system that everyone likes.  its the house hold name.  xbox is th eindie-the up and comer.  and the gamecube is like an aging prizefighter-throws alot of weak punches but sometimes able to land a few uppercuts [i.e. metroid prime] and a knockout [i.e. th enew zleda game]

..................but i  do like your list though..

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#1  i still dont understand why people think trigger is better?  i dont think i will be able to convince you either...but its just better.   :yabbse-wink:
I think it has to do with where you were as a gamer when it came out.  It was the second RPG I played.  Just like EarthBound, I played it because of a great GameFan magazine review.  There hasn't been anything like it.  Time travel.  Heavy atmosphere.  Lovable, distinct characters.  A deliciously evil villain SPOILERS who turns around and joins you to defeat a greater evil -- it may have been done before, but never like that  The game was a challenge, but not impossible.  The battle system so fun.  Combo attacks for everyone, everyone good at something, with their strengths and weaknesses.  Humor.  Poignancy, at the end especially, with the sidequests.

The problem with CC is it tried to copy the old CT feel instead of improving upon it.  They made it so any character is as good as any other even though Elements set them apart.  There are very few useful unites.  There are too many characters.  The battle system is pretty much turned based instead of active.  The summons were a good idea, but impractical, as you're unable to use consistently them until much later on.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#2 i was actaully about to buy tactics.  btu whats the deal with that game? is like a "real" final fantasu  game or is it all fighting and no story line/character developement.  i am thinking its more of a strategy like the old shining force games  on the sega genesis.  right/wrong?
It's strategy, alright.  You move your characters around an isometric pseudo-3D grid.  You wait, attack, or cast a spell (some take longer than others and cost MP, adding to strategy).  It is a real final fantasy game, with all the staples, Cid, chocobos, an airship ... but all incorporated in different ways than in other FFs.  There's plenty of storyline, a lot of which actually unfolds during battles -- really cool.  Like, the longer a battle goes on, the more is said, up to a point.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#3 since you play alot of ps1 rpgs, what can you recommend other than what you  hav ementioned?
Legend of Legaia is pretty fun.  It's the only other RPG I can recommend, even though I've never finished it.  I can recommend a lot more stuff based on hearsay, if you like.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#4.1  i  would like to try the suikoden series but in order for me to do so i need a ps2.
Just a PS1 actually (You can probably find one for $30, too), for Suikoden I and II.  Only problem is how rare Suikoden II is.  SuI may be easier to find.  If you're willing to shell out the cash, go for it.  They're both worth it.  Or go the less legal route, download the games, burn them, and get a chipped PS1.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#4.2   IMO the ps2 is the worst system.  and i have valid points to back it up.
>the hardware sucks.  i went through 2 of them . and i know (many) poeple who have doen the same.  "disk  read error" ..............
Yeah, I've had that problem too.  Points taken.  It all depends on what kind of games you like to play, really.  I love RPGs, and adventure stuff like Mario.  Gameplay is where it's at, and that's why SNES was really the best system ever.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#6  how/why  is   ffvi  overrated?
It's overrated when so many people say it's the best FF ever, when they haven't touched FFT, or they discount FF7, 8, or 9 just because they aren't FF6.  I like most of FF6.  Kefka is hilarious, but no Magus, Kuja, or Sephiroth.  The music is wonderful.  The battle system, though, leaves a bit to be desired.  And it's so hard to keep my interest.  I must've played the beginning of that game 10 times, getting to various points, but ultimately stopping and not picking it up again.

cine

Man, that was the geekiest owning ever. It even had spoilers..

NEON MERCURY

ono, you make valid criticisms abotu crono cross/FF VI.  i cant argue those points.  and i will look into getting legend of legaia.  and i will gladly take some hearsay suggested games. and i have a ps1 so everythign is cool. i take better care of my video game systems then myself.  i still have my atari even.

also, i think you are right about the snes..its the best

Stefen

Resident Evil 4 is really really fucking good. It's scary as hell and the gameplay is top knotch, im only about 2 hours in but If it sticks to what its doing, it could very well make my top 5 games of all time LIST.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Hearsay:  Breath of Fire III ... haven't finished it, decent enough, though.  And Breath of Fire IV maybe too.  Legend of Dragoon:  An ex of mine played it and seemed to love it.  Star Ocean: The Second Story is supposed to be great.  Some people like Vagrant Story ... it has some references to FFT, too.  Vandal Hearts II is a strategy RPG similar to FFT.  Front Mission 3 is supposed to be good, but I never got into it.  It's like FFT but with these big machines or robots, a bit like Xenogears.  My brother really liked Tales of Destiny 2 (and its follow-up, Tales of Symphonia for GameCube), Alundra and Alundra II, but those are different style RPGs, heard it compared to Zelda stuff.  Legend of Mana is supposed to be fun, as is Threads of Fate.  Saga Frontier I and II are crap shoots -- decide for yourself, rent 'em if they look interesting (can you even rent PS1 games anymore -- either way, prolly just better to get 'em used if you aren't sure -- they're cheap enough).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

In defense of Final Fantasy VI... a reason why a lot of people like it is because of the sidequests and graphics, beating the hell out of its predecessor.  FFV was lame, and the series was looking dry to people (FFIV, although really fun, didn't get as much of a fan base as they'd have liked).  FFVI really enriched the RPG essence, showing Square knew what they were doing.  

I think FFVI is so loved because of the character development... many different love stories, in depth eploration of each character's stories (except Umaro, Baron, Mog and Gogo... but they don't count...) and some really great, original (at the time) mechanics like Blitz and Runic.  

It seems the more I played FFVI, the more I really connected with the characters... in the dialogue, their actions and backstories, they all have qualities that make them more than just your average 2D character in an RPG that just Levels up and kills monsters.

-------------------------------------------

Onto some RPG's I'd recommend...

Cool PS1 RPG's

Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean
Wild Arms (the later ones are better, but you should play the first to appreciate the later ones)
Final Fantasy Tactics (as mentioned by Ono)
Final Fantasy VII (general knowledge, here)
Xenogears
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sleuth

Quote from: StefenResident Evil 4 is really really fucking good. It's scary as hell and the gameplay is top knotch, im only about 2 hours in but If it sticks to what its doing, it could very well make my top 5 games of all time LIST.

Scary or intense (action-wise)?  I felt like I was playing one of the movies
I like to hug dogs

Raikus

If anyone has a GBA both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy Tactics are excellent RPG's. I haven't played the second Golden Sun, but it's a great mix between Final Fantasy and Shining Force.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Eastwood: Go ahead, make my game

Fans everywhere will be judging how lucky they feel now that Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Clint Eastwood's Malpaso and the Tehama companies jointly announced an agreement to bring the Dirty Harry franchise to video games. Eastwood will lend his voice and likeness to reprise his internationally famous role of Inspector Harry Callahan. Even more significantly, the Academy Award winner is consulting on key creative aspects of the game design. "This will be an opportunity to satisfy the many requests over the years to continue the Dirty Harry legacy, only now in the video game medium," Eastwood said. "Creating Dirty Harry video games will also introduce this memorable film character to new generations on a medium they appreciate."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't know who all plays GTA: San Andreas here, but last night I was trying to make the most of my 2 player experience.  My friend and I kept thinking of things that'd be better with two people, but were running out of ideas since the second player can't enable codes on their own.

Here's what we came up with--------

(F.Y.I. - This is the code to give yourself a Jetpack...

L1, L2, R1, R2, Up, Down, Left, Right)

Player 1 creates a Jetpack, takes it off, creates another.  Both players can now both use Jetpacks.  In 2 player mode you can target vehicles, so get Wanted, and then shoot Helicopters down without them shooting you first, or for some real fun, both fly up to the top of a tall building.  One will descend down slwoly and land, the other still on top.  Switch to the view of the player on the building and jump, then quickly switch to the view of the player on the ground and watch them take a big leap.  It works best if they fall into the freeway so you can cause huge pileups.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

I just watched my friend play World of Warcraft for about 3 hours. Amazing game. Has anyone here played it?

But they should really make World of Fallout.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI just watched my friend play World of Warcraft for about 3 hours. Amazing game. Has anyone here played it?

But they should really make World of Fallout.

I haven't played it but I have a friend who loves it.  I have a problem with paying $50 plus $15 a month for one of those games.  It seems like an investment you never get back.  After a year, you've spent $230.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

Don't succumb to it. I already know 5 people that just WON'T stop playing it. And these are adults, with kids, and businesses.

Scary stuff.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.