Bruce Campbell (like a muther fucker!)

Started by BrainSushi, August 11, 2003, 07:58:53 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaHey, did anyone notice his 'blink and you'll miss it' cameo in Intolerable Cruelty?  I kept thinking 'Is that him? No. Wait, that is him!'  He played the other Soap Opera star.

I noticed that. He looked...um...heavier.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

I saw Bubba Ho-Tep the other day and he's fucking hilarious in it. also, i noticed him in Intolerable Cruelty too. and Evil Dead is king.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

A World Apart

I absolutely love this guy. He's so incredibly down to earth. One of my favorite places to go when i need a good laugh is his official website.
Go to his babblings....too funny!!!http://www.bruce-campbell.com/
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

Ravi

The few episodes I saw of Jack of All Trades were pretty funny.

Raikus

I'm still waiting for my Brisco County Jr. DVD sets.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

El Duderino

Quote from: RaikusI'm still waiting for my Brisco County Jr. DVD sets.

oh shit! i forgot he was Brisco County, i was obsessed with that as a kid
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Just released:

From Publishers Weekly

Satire and sharp one-liners are the engines powering low-budget movie hero Campbell's (If Chins Could Kill) first autobiographical novel, a funny, breezy, high-camp affair. After dispensing B-movie witticisms on romance and navigating love scenes, Sci-Fi channel schlock film actor "Bruce Campbell" is unexpectedly offered the A-list role of a "wise-cracking doorman" and "emotional lynchpin" in the new Mike Nichols romantic comedy Let's Make Love, starring Richard Gere and Renee Zellweger. After getting fully immersed in calamitous role research at the Waldorf-Astoria, Campbell postures (and annoys) his way through the first read-through with indifferent cast members, runs lines with a timid Gere, crassly advises Zellweger on how to accentuate her bust line, dishes ex-husbands with Liz Taylor and berates the film's director of photography, Oscar-winning Vilmos Zsigmond (whose name Campbell spells Sigmund). After a Secret Service ambush and more movie set mayhem, Campbell's A-List luck finally runs out. But not even a bumbling S.W.A.T. team can stop this determined day player from getting his due. Campbell knows of what he writes, and this endless barrage of extreme silliness obviously spoofs (and quite possibly mirrors) a frenzied acting career made up of equal parts exasperation and hilarity.

From the Inside Flap

What you're reading right now is known as the “flap copy.” This is where the 72,444 words of my latest book, Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, are cooked down to fit in a 3 ½-by-9 ½-inch column.  But how does one do that with a fictional story about a B movie actor’s disastrous attempt to finally star in a big-budget Hollywood movie? Do you tantalize readers with snappy zingers like the one in chapter six where Biff the Wonder Boy says, “You may be bred in ol’ Kentucky, but you're only a crumb up here”? Or do you reveal pivotal plot points like the one at the end of the book where the little girl on crutches points an accusing finger and shouts, “The killer is Mr. Potter!”

I have too much respect for you as an attention-deficient consumer to attempt such an obvious ruse. But let’s not play games here. You’ve already picked up the book, so you either:
A.     Know who I am
B.     Like the cool smoking jacket I’m wearing on the cover
C.     Have just discovered that the bookstore restroom is out of toilet paper  

Is this a relationship book? Well, if by “relationship book” you mean that the characters in it have relationships or are related to someone, then yes, absolutely. Will you learn how to pick up chicks? Good heavens, I can only hope so, though for best results in that department you should both read this book and be Brad Pitt.

Is it a sequel to my autobiography, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor?  Sadly, no, which made it much harder to write. According to my publisher, I haven't “done” enough since 2001 to warrant another memoir.

Is it an “autobiographical novel”? Yes. I'm the lead character in the story and I'm a real person and everything in the book actually happened, except for all the stuff that didn’t.

Mostly, the action revolves around my preparations for a pivotal role in director Mike Nichols’s A-list relationship film Let's Make Love!, starring Richard Gere, Renée Zellweger, and Christopher Plummer. This is the kind of break most actors can only dream of. But my Homeric attempt to break through the glass ceiling of B-grade genre fare is hampered by a vengeful studio executive and a production that becomes infected by something called the “B movie virus,” symptoms of which include excessive use of cheesy special effects, slapstick, and projectile vomiting.
When someone fingers me as the guy responsible for the virus, thus ruining my good standing in the entertainment industry (hey, I said it was fiction, okay?), I become a fugitive racing against the clock, an innocent patsy battling the shadowy forces of the studio system to clear my name, save my career, and destroy the Death Star. In a jaw-dropping twist worthy of Hitchcock (page 274), you'll gasp as I turn the tables on Hollywood and attempt to salvage my reputation in a town where you’re only as good as your last remake.

From a violent fistfight with a Buddhist to a life-altering stint in federal prison, this novel has it all. If you like John Grisham, Tom Clancy, or one too many run-on sentences, you'll absolutely love Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way. And if the 72,444 words are too time-consuming, there are lots and lots of cool graphics.
Regards,
Bruce “Don't Call Me Ash” Campbell
~
Bruce Campbell's first book, If Chins Could Kill, was a major sleeper hit
and became a New York Times and national bestseller.  His immense energy and sharp wit are in evidence again in Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, a novel that will have readers laughing out loud.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Bruce Campbell Returns
New film, new book, same old Bruce.

Yes, it's true, Bruce Campbell is back. That said, don't go getting your Wonder Woman underoos all in a bunch right away. In fact, just cool your jets. Hell, take a deep breath, while you're at it, too. Yes, the ever loveable Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell is again hitting the spotlight, but before the insane thought even ventures into your cerebral cortex it should be noted that he ain't announcing, promoting or even mentioning the words Evil Dead IV (or Bubba Ho-Tep II, for that matter).

Instead, what BC is on the road promoting is a new book and a new film. The former is entitled Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way and marks the versatile actor's second foray into the realm of the literati (he released his first tome, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor, back in 2002).

The latter (that would be the film, for those of you with faulty short-term memories) is called Man with the Screaming Brain. Written, directed, and produced by Campbell, it's a genre film that the man himself describes thusly: "Man with the Screaming Brain is a story of greed, betrayal and revenge in the former Eastern European block. William Cole, wealthy industrialist, goes looking for a tax shelter in the wrong part of the world and winds up the guinea pig for a mad scientist, having his brain merged with that of Yegor, a former KGD operative. The two couldn't be more different, but they share one thing – both were killed by the same woman. William and Yegor form an unlikely partnership to track down their common nemesis. If I were pitching it in Hollywood, I'd say it's The Out-of-Towners with a brain transplant."

For those lucky enough to live on the West Coast (the San Francisco Bay area, in particular), Mr. Campbell will be hosting a book signing and film premier in The City on Tuesday June 14th at the venerable Balboa Theater. The film will have four screenings throughout the day: 2:20, 4:30, 7:00 and 9:15. Mr. Campbell will be on hand to sign copies of his book and talk about the film at the evening screenings.

To find out more about his San Francisco appearance you need to go here.

To find out more about Campbell's other stops on his Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way tour, well, you need to go here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Yeah, so I saw Bruce tonight.

As I had feared and suspected, the movie is aweful.  I  think I laughed twice (once because I was embarassed).

But Bruce was Bruce and answered "dumb-ass questions" first.

1. obviously no solid plans for Evil Dead 4 (Sam likes money and Spiderman makes it).

2. Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash was a five minute joke and aint happenin'

3. Bubba HoTep sequel is totally up in the air since Sony bought MGM.

4. He's starring in a movie as himself next.  A Three Amigos type plot where a town is in danger and decides to get the guy that plays Ash to help them... but Bruce just makes things worse.

Ghostboy

He hits Dallas on Thursday. I was going to go, until I saw the trailer to his film.

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2005: Bruce Campbell Rips Hollywood
Campbellisms abound! The B-movie actor torches Tom Cruise, the MPAA, Ben Affleck and Batman Begins.

Complaining that Hollywood is "creatively bankrupt," fan favorite Bruce Campbell ripped into the studio system and the recent spate of summer blockbusters at today's Comic-Con Q&A session. The cult actor cycled through the films that came out this summer and deconstructed each one.

"First of all, every A-movie is a now a B-movie," he said. Any movie that relies on costumes and aliens falls into the latter category, according to Campbell. Speaking about War of the Worlds, he complained that the idea was tired, stating that "every 50 years they do something with that idea."

On Batman Begins, he said "Well, this was a good one. It took 'em five tries." On Bewitched he simply said, "Hollywood has a file drawer 30 years deep." Later in the presentation, he added "I urge you not to support the same horsesh*t you're getting out of Hollywood." Then, tongue firmly in cheek, he added, "Except Sky High," which he appears in.

He didn't hold back comments about other member of the acting fraternity. When asked about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, he said "Well, I can guarantee that I don't give a rat's ass about them." He repeatedly jabbed at Ashton Kutcher, joking that the actor would reprise his role in the Evil Dead remake. He even called out Ben Affleck more than once, stating "…William Holden can kick Ben Affleck's ass any day of the week."

But his special affection was reserved for the MPAA, which he referred to as "stupid" and "embarrassing." "The MPAA can kiss my ass so hard it can come out the other side." He has no love for network censors, either. He stated that it was wrong that violence is much more acceptable than nudity on television. "You can shoot a boobie, but you can't kiss it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comic-Con 2005: The Bruce Is Loose
Proud B-movie actor Bruce Campbell discusses his upcoming projects.

In response to a question about whether he wears boxers or briefs, cult movie hero and sometimes TV star Bruce Campbell simply remarked "Meet me in the parking lot and I'll show you." He later echoed the same sentiments when asked How to Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, which, coincidentally is the name of his new novel, a "mockumentary-in-print" as he refers to it.

Speaking to a packed house at Comic-Con 2005, Campbell touched on a number of projects he's currently involved in, and cleared up rumors about various movies he's been associated with.

First up, Bubba Nosferatu, the sequel to the Don Coscarelli picture about an aging Elvis/impersonator who fights a mystical zombie to protect an old folks' home (just rent it): MGM is apparently interested in the project, but has put the movie on hold for the time being.

When asked about Spider-Man 3, Campbell was somewhat evasive, hinting that he would be in the film due to his track record on the previous two. In Spider-Man, he played a ring promoter who gave the hero his name.
"In the second one, I believe I was the only character who ever defeated Spider-Man," he bragged. If used in the third one, he remarked, "I am sure I will annoy Spider-Man in some way."

As for a potential Evil Dead 4, Campbell said, "You'll have to convince Sam Raimi not to make Spider-Man 3," adding that Raimi would probably rather make a billion dollars than a hundred.

He poked more fun of Raimi and his car "The Classic," which has appeared in every movie Raimi has directed, including The Quick and the Dead. Campbell previously vowed to destroy the "annoying" vehicle, but it is "currently being held in an undisclosed location with Dick Cheney." When asked who would win in a fight, he replied "[Raimi] would be driving his car, so he would win."

One project that is still on the burner is the Evil Dead remake, which Campbell repeatedly joked would be headlined by Ashton Kutcher. "It's not really determined what's happening with that thing," he stated, but further said that he wanted it to happen as a favor to those who helped him start out in the industry.

Mentioning the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash movie, he said "We had a five-minute conversation with New Line about it," adding, "There would be no way Ash could be in that unless he could kill both of their doughy asses." After stating it would definitely not happen, he simply said, "It's a bad idea."

As for the film he is currently promoting at Comic-Con, The Man with the Screaming Brain, it will show at a special screening in Comic-Con, and will premiere at the end of September on Sci-Fi Channel in edited form. Campbell's previous Sci-Fi channel made-for-TV movie Alien Apocalypse is the #1 movie in the history of Sci-Fi. The Man with the Screaming Brain will be released on DVD by Anchor Bay Home Entertainment in October.

Skeleton FilmWorks

GoneSavage

Why was Man With The Screaming Brain redirected here?  Last time I checked there's been discussion of movies outside of their respective directors or actors.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: GoneSavageWhy was Man With The Screaming Brain redirected here?  Last time I checked there's been discussion of movies outside of their respective directors or actors.

i think its because the movie is so awful that it doesn't deserve to have a thread devoted to it..

RegularKarate

Yeah, it really doesn't need it.

If someone who's seen it thinks it's worth a thread, I'll unlock the other one.

I'll also think they're lying.