Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

socketlevel

That is great news. however costner woulda been interesting for sure. I don't know which i'd prefer.
the one last hit that spent you...

wiped_out

Looks like Don Johnson joined the cast as well as Tom Savani

I read the script and I really enjoyed it. I just have to say that I envisioned someone like Keith Carradine playing Calvin Candie, considering that I read that character to be older, besides Candie was supposed to have grown up with Stephen and looks to Stephen as a consiglieri. I would of liked to have seen Stacy Keach in this somewhere as well as Gunther Kaufman(from Whitey and Fassbinder's movies) but thats WISHFUL thinking.

you know when I read the script I pictured Ace Woody to be a someone in his 30s, I think it would be inspired casting if DiCaprio played the part of Ace Woody since hes the real villain of the movie. Whose gonna play Scott Harmony? How bout that young actor from Terri, you know that movie with John C. Reliey. Broomhilida?

Fernando

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Lining Up Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'
source: theplaylist.

Well, here's a pretty easy case of connect-the-dots. We just finished reporting that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's "Premium Rush" had been moved from January 13, 2012 to August 24, 2012 and we figured maybe it was a tactic by Sony to get the film some additional heat after the actor's turn next summer in "The Dark Knight Rises." However, with Variety reporting that JGL is now in talks for a role in Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" they add, "he'll have to sort out several scheduling issues that could prevent him from participating." You see where we're going with this?

With "Django Unchained" scheduled to be shooting right when "Premium Rush" was going to be hitting theaters, there is no way Gordon-Levitt would be able to star in Tarantino's film, while doing press for David Koepp's movie. However, with Sony politely bumping back the film, the scheduling conflict is resolved and everything is in place for the actor to join the movie. But the question now is: what role could it possibly be? Based on the script we read, we're not really sure where he would fit in with the parts that are left, except perhaps as one of the redneck Brittle brothers, but even then, those parts are fairly small. That said, Michael K. Williams recently said Tarantino had been rewriting a script—including creating a possible new role for him after he lost out on the lead—so there may be a new character, JGL is playing. Either way, it's another solid addition to the film's eclectic cast.

Just to recap: Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz, Dennis Christopher, Kurt Russell, Laura Cayouette, Don Johnson, M.C. Gainey and Tom Savini are already set for the movie. "Django Unchained" comes out Christmas Day next year, and believe it or not, with all those names, there is still more casting to come.

Robyn

Oh, that's surprising. He dosn't seems like a actor Tarantino would go for and as the article says I can't really see what role he could play. Very exciting news, tho. The casting so far is fucking great. Can't wait for this film.

MacGuffin

Anthony LaPaglia Joins 'Django Unchained,' He & Joseph Gordon-Levitt Will Play Australian Brothers
Source: Playlist

Looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt is gonna throw some shrimp on the barbie.

Joining Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" just over a week ago, many speculated the actor would be playing Scott Harmony, the 24 year-old kid whose father buys the slave Broomhilda for him to boost his confidence. But nope, he'll be one of the Australian hicks and Deadline reports that Anthony LaPaglia will join him as the leader Jano with the actor saying that he and JGL will play "mean brothers." "It's wildly ambitious and imaginative, deals with that subject matter in a way it hasn't been dealt with before," LaPaglia said.

In the script we read, these are some pretty small parts. They're only on the screen for 12 pages, but they participate in a comedic and crucial key scene near the end of the movie. Have the roles been beefed up during rewrites? Perhaps. Or maybe these two are just taking the opportunity to play in Tarantino's yard, which is just as likely. There is also one more Aussie brother in the script, which we presume is yet to be cast.

The duo are part of a massive ensemble that includes Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Kerry Washington, Dennis Christopher, Kurt Russell, Laura Cayouette, Don Johnson, M.C. Gainey and Tom Savini. Filming kicks off in January for a Christmas Day 2012 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

it's funny to me how QT films get the reputation for having "massive ensemble" casts, like this one is being described. when the truth is that apart from one or two REALLY major actors, he always fills his films with people who would be grateful to take ANY work.

they are usually recognizable names, or has beens, or whatever.. but hardly "name" actors who would draw in more than a few nerdlingers who remember them from their golden age or one-hit wonder.

this cast is still just a few famous people and a bunch of other actors who you may or may not have heard of.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Sacha Baron Cohen in Negotiations for Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'
Cohen would play a small but showy character that's party to disappearance of the title character's wife.
Source: THR

Sacha Baron Cohen has nabbed one of the last roles in Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino's latest production.

The movie is set in the American South of the 1800's and follows a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) who partners with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) in order to find his wife.

The actor is in negotiations to portray a minor but showy role of a off-kilter gambler who buys the wife (Kerry Washington) much to his misfortune.

Cohen joins a high wattage cast that only includes Foxx and Waltz but also Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kurt Russell, Don Johnson, RZA, and Anthony LaPaglia among others.

The movie is due to start shooting later this month.

Cohen will next be seen in Martin Scorsese's Hugo, which opens November 23.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

With all the latest casting news, I have to admit, Tarantino is known for picking the most appropriate person for the part he writes, or writes/re-writes to make the character fit the individual, no matter how small or large their screen time.  While Sacha Baron Cohen might mean the lamest part of "Hugo", it might mean amazing stuff for "Django".

Guess we still have a while to see.

Brando

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Brando

JGL has dropped out due to a scheduling conflict with his directorial debut Don Jon's addiction.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Pwaybloe

I typically don't speak acronyms, but I figured out you are referring to Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

pete

Yes, the 3 seconds you've saved from typing his full name translates to 30 minutes on the other end of us unhip dudes trying to figure it out. Or five minutes of googling. Eitherway. Exponential. Thanks.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reel

Good riddance, I say. Seeing cutie boy up there spewing out Tarantino dialogue in an awful southern accent would've ruined Christmas for me.

polkablues

We need a comprehensive list of official Xixax-approved acronyms: JGL, RDJ, LVT, PTA, PDL, CMBB, and so forth.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on April 05, 2012, 04:30:12 PM
We need a comprehensive list of official Xixax-approved acronyms: JGL, RDJ, LVT, PTA, PDL, CMBB, and so forth.

Don't forget PSH and DDL.