Me and My Bot - a new short -- updated!

Started by Gamblour., March 01, 2007, 10:37:31 AM

Gamblour.

This a 5-minute short we did for Campus Movie Fest. It won Best Comedy at Georgia State University, but lost at the Atlanta Regional finale. This is the same competition as last year, when we did Carboy.

All in all, I'm much more proud of Me and My Bot than Carboy. We took a lot more risks, we put a lot more effort into it, technically and emotionally. I feel like it's the stronger of the two, and that it shows off our range. It's the only one of the two that I can watch dozens of times and never get bored with it. It's probably my most accomplished piece in terms of editing.

What are your thoughts?

WWPTAD?

Fernando

It would help if you link the short, but I totally believe you it's better than Carboy.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Fernando on March 01, 2007, 11:55:58 AM
It would help if you link the short, but I totally believe you it's better than Carboy.

Yikes! Sorry.

fixed.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Pubrick

you should send that to Tarantiguez.

also, while it can't be judged a short film cos it's a (faux) trailer, as a comedy piece you have many more hits than misses. only one joke goes on too long by two shots and that's the dude doing skating tricks. the transition to cheney and bush kills the momentum cos it could be left out altogether and still hav a strong finish. as it stands, the reprisal of the high fives is a great ending.. for a trailer.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

The Bush/Cheney joke I always felt was ok just because the series of high fives to black and white slowed it down a bit, then that just fell in line. The skateboarding thing, I can understand how it might've been one trick too many, I think we just loved that joke too much.

I think it can be judged as a short because we do try to establish a narrative, just in a very trailer kinda way.  That's why we left the Bush/Cheney joke in, because it's part of that. Thanks for your criticism, I appreciate it. Considering Xixax's relationships with trailers, I'm surprised you watched it, haha.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

I agree with Pubrick completely. I didn't necessarily think the skateboarding gag went on too long - it was pretty funny - but I did groan a bit with the Bush thing. It's got a good handle on trailer cliches, in the same way that the best trailer mash-ups do, except with all original material.

I hope Cuba Gooding Jr. gets cast in the feature length version. As the robot.

Gamblour.

I think what I like about the Bush joke is that it's just stupid enough for any president to say. Additionally, it's very much like a kids film to incorporate in the highest power into a hunt for a robot and a boy. That said, we really had to use it because of that 3/4 scale White House, it's just too cool. Sorry it made you groan, I'm just happy my acting hasn't made anyone groan yet. I'm covered in lemurs.

So Tarantiguez with Cuba Gooding Jr..... Kid from Malcolm in the Middle to play the lead?
WWPTAD?

picolas

Gamblour.

If just sits there, try save target as...it's worked on two different computers that I've tried. Sorry if it's giving you trouble. You can always navigate to the film through the cmf website by going to Watch the Movies...Browse (Lego Man)....Atlanta 2007...and we're down on that list under Bland Hack Productions.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Now on YouTube...thanks for those who've watched it!

WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Me and My Bot was chosen as one of the 16 best shorts in the country. It will be playing at the Campus Moviefest National Grand Finale at Landmark Midtown Art Cinema on April 27th as part of the Atlanta Film Festival.

Very exciting, this is the second time we've gotten a short into the AFF, and this time we'll be at a real theater. Can't wait!
WWPTAD?